Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 08:47 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times

Advertisements

Pay off any debt(s) such as credit cards so that they no longer suck on my income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 10:09 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
I suggest to find a piece of real estate where the 100k is enough to get you some cash flow.

Old 09-19-2023, 05:43 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,384,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor987 View Post
is there any real estate under $100k?
$100k cash will allow you to buy/own a $400k-$500k place that you can then rent-out (to cover mortgage payments!)
Just be sure you know what you’re doing (run numbers to cover payments/taxes/insurance)!

Old 09-19-2023, 02:00 PM

844 posts, read 420,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor987 View Post
is there any real estate under $100k?
Cleveland, OH median house/condo value is $83K in 2021.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:55 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Personally-I would not invest in real estate AT THIS TIME. We are still in a housing bubble, with prices near record highs. At the same time, interest rates are the highest in quite some time-which will put downward pressure on prices in time. Remember just how much housing prices crashed after '08, and how many were upside down on their mortgages. Yes, in normal situations, it's a good move, I just question if these are normal times.

I'd open an investment account. Look at a S&P targeted index fund-VOO is good with low fees. Put it away and forget about it, maybe take a look every 5 years and enjoy compounding.

Yes, paying off high-interest loans makes sense-but without a serious amount of discipline it's easy to run those debts back up, with nothing to show for it. If you invest that money, it's a different story.

Now, one exception on the real-estate front. Do you currently own your home? If not, paying rent is a fools game if you have an alternative. If you invest that in your first, primary residence, yes it's a good move. Even if home prices do go down, at least you have a place to live.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:08 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
Retired, no children I would add it to my current investment plan.

If I got this earlier in life (age 20 to 50) my first choice would be buy top technology stocks and grow that $100k until retirement. Tech stocks don't provide income but can be sold when money is needed.

Alternate choice would be to buy my first home using small portion of 100k for down payment and put rest into tech stocks.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:36 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
If I had debt, I'd pay that down.
If I didn't have a home or a dependable car, I'd likely look to buy that.

If I didn't have a nest egg, I'd likely buy stocks
If I didn't have a ton of liquidity, I'd likely bolster savings or have a few running CDs.
Since I have a wife who likes nice things, I'd probably bury it in the ground.

Old 10-03-2023, 07:10 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
$100k cash will allow you to buy/own a $400k-$500k place that you can then rent-out (to cover mortgage payments!)
Just be sure you know what you’re doing (run numbers to cover payments/taxes/insurance)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I suggest to find a piece of real estate where the 100k is enough to get you some cash flow.
You realize this isn't an option for the guy..........100K is all his money, real estate is at an all time high and if Biden pauses rents again the OP is "smoked"

Landlord plan isn't for most people, especially when they go "all in"

My buddy has 35 rentals, all single family homes/ all owned outright no debt and its a full time job for him.
He is making crazy money, its a machine at this point and he is really only on the hook for taxes/insurance.
Vacations can be tough, phone is always ringing about something. Tenants are mixed, 50% great long term people, the other 50% are complete losers (drugs/booze issues). He only had one eviction in the last 4 years and it was an alcoholic postal worker.............guy was completely nuts.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:07 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You realize this isn't an option for the guy..........100K is all his money, real estate is at an all time high and if Biden pauses rents again the OP is "smoked"

Landlord plan isn't for most people, especially when they go "all in"

My buddy has 35 rentals, all single family homes/ all owned outright no debt and its a full time job for him.
He is making crazy money, its a machine at this point and he is really only on the hook for taxes/insurance.
Vacations can be tough, phone is always ringing about something. Tenants are mixed, 50% great long term people, the other 50% are complete losers (drugs/booze issues). He only had one eviction in the last 4 years and it was an alcoholic postal worker.............guy was completely nuts.

Hello....Newman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing