Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 12:58 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

there has to be more to this story as far as what it was in .

but like was said , not taking an interest in something as important as your money is insane ..

i bet you would spend time researching a car or refrigerator or restaurant but no time for learning about your finances .

we would like to know what it was in if you even know .

i don’t use vanguard because customer service was the worst and their policies are awful but their funds and etfs are fine

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-10-2023 at 01:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2023, 05:44 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

but like was said , not taking an interest in something as important as your money is insane ..

i bet you would spend time researching a car or refrigerator or restaurant but no time for learning about your finances .

i don’t use vanguard because customer service was the worst and their policies are awful but their funds and etfs are fine
Well there’s obviously pieces missing. There’s no chance a vanguard managed program lost 50% over the time period and certainly not in a single month

Old 12-10-2023, 05:58 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well there’s obviously pieces missing. There’s no chance a vanguard managed program lost 50% over the time period and certainly not in a single month
Agree with both of you. Way way more to the story here. Doubt we’ll ever get the full picture though.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:22 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
I was with Vanguard for nearly 40 years before leaving at the first of this year. I never had a problem with Customer Service, but they seemed to have lost focus on the customer (and owner) over the last several years. More nickel-and-dime stuff/new charges for things that were once free, lawsuits over not putting customer needs first and other things just started to build up. I was somewhat surprised that I never received a call or email from my Flagship advisor asking why I left.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I was with Vanguard for nearly 40 years before leaving at the first of this year. I never had a problem with Customer Service, but they seemed to have lost focus on the customer (and owner) over the last several years. More nickel-and-dime stuff/new charges for things that were once free, lawsuits over not putting customer needs first and other things just started to build up. I was somewhat surprised that I never received a call or email from my Flagship advisor asking why I left.
they dropped all our beneficiaries on joint accounts

they told us we would be better served with a trust which for a fee they will do

my fidelity rep couldn’t believe they did that and tried to push you into a trust where one wasn’t needed

Old 12-10-2023, 08:45 AM

5,995 posts, read 3,736,069 times
I've had the lion's share of my investments with Vanguard for many years. I'm perfectly happy that they are doing what I want them to do... and that is to invest my money into the funds/etfs that I choose and charge me the absolute minimum amount possible for doing this. Vanguard is by far the lowest cost investment broker that is equipped to handle any type of investment that I might be interested in investing in.

They keep asking me if I would like to speak with an investment advisor, and I keep politely telling them "No thanks. I'll do it myself." And I'm perfectly happy with the results I have achieved. Vanguard executes my trades fast, efficiently, and inexpensively and provides great recordkeeping for me to access when it's time to file my taxes.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:50 AM

3,049 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Quote:

We don't know if they invested in Vanguard what. An investment in Vanguard Wellington or Vanguard Wellesley should have made money by now.

Also there should have been monthly statements to follow. Waiting 2 years to pay attention is 2 years too late.

Vanguard does seem to have good reputation in their research & articles.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I've had the lion's share of my investments with Vanguard for many years. I'm perfectly happy that they are doing what I want them to do... and that is to invest my money into the funds/etfs that I choose and charge me the absolute minimum amount possible for doing this. Vanguard is by far the lowest cost investment broker that is equipped to handle any type of investment that I might be interested in investing in.

They keep asking me if I would like to speak with an investment advisor, and I keep politely telling them "No thanks. I'll do it myself." And I'm perfectly happy with the results I have achieved. Vanguard executes my trades fast, efficiently, and inexpensively and provides great recordkeeping for me to access when it's time to file my taxes.
vanguard is a hassle if you want to cancel a fund purchase. there was never a cancel button like fidelity has .

their cancelling all beneficiaries on joint accounts was just nuts .plus there was no notification they did it .

i only found out when i went on line and it said things to do - setup beneficiaries.

only every time i tried it bumped them out . finally i called and was told you can no longer do that . that’s crazy

also when i called with a question on my transfer the reps played a game of hot potato passing me all over the place .

at least fidelity’s rep owns the problem .. they always either get the right person on line with us or they call back with an answer .

they passed me right to a phone with a recording on it that said to hold .

for laughs we stayed connected for an hour and no one ever answered

Old 12-10-2023, 10:33 AM

373 posts, read 310,755 times
I read today that a vast majority of stocks in the S&P 500 have not recovered or recovered 5% from the bear market. The recovery or bull market is due to just a few stocks. So I can see getting hit by the dip and not showing much of an increase in 2023 depending on what stocks, mutual fund or ETF you are invested in.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdean View Post
... So I can see getting hit by the dip and not showing much of an increase in 2023 depending on what stocks, mutual fund or ETF you are invested in.
50% decline of aggregate assets points to a radical change in strategy.
I have a couple laggers (individual Stocks) that could deliver that type of decline, but not indicative of the whole portfolio.

(We have no idea what % of whole that OP allocated to VG.)

Reinforces the saying, "no one but YOU cares for YOUR money, as YOU do.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing