Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2023, 08:46 AM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times

Advertisements

AMAT
FN
LRCX
RIVN

25% each please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 10:54 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Thanks for managing this again, Tom.

My picks, although I may switch out HBAN before the end of the year, 20% for each:

CPA (NYSE) Copa Holdings S.A. - One of the two stocks I'm picking due to good fundamentals and valuations, and is expected to rise a decent amount in price. Dividend yield 3.1%.

GERN (Nasdaq) Geron Corporation - Biotech due for PDUFA decision June 16th, 2024.

HBAN (Nasdaq) Huntington Bank - Expecting it to rise back up to $18-19/share. Currently at 12.66. Dividend yield 4.9%.

OPTN (Nasdaq) OptiNose - Biotech due for PDUFA decision March 16th, 2024.

PTEN (Nasdaq) Patterson-UTI Energy - Good fundamentals and valuations, plus median price target looks good on this. Dividend yield 2.93%.
Tom, if you don't mind I'd like to switch out HBAN and replace it with CKPT (Nasdaq) - Checkpoint Therapeutics, a healthcare/biotech company. Thanks.

HBAN would be great to have in a personal portfolio with a probable 40% increase in SP in '24, but that isn't going to win this contest. Need grand slams, not doubles or triples.

Checkpoint received a Class 2 CRL letter earlier this month. So after they address the issue with the 3rd party facility that will manufacture the drug and resubmit, from what I understand there's a 30 day review process, then the FDA will have six months to respond, so PDUFA date will be awhile. However, with only around only a 20.42 million share float at this time and institutional ownership fairly low (16.67%) this could fly once approved. Maybe it will stay high, maybe it wont, but it's worth the strikeout risk.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:18 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
MSFT - $50k
ASML - $20k
AMZN - $20k
AFRM - $10K
Mogul the way the game is set up with a minimum of $20K per stock, this wouldn't work. SO I changed MSFT to $40K and AFRN to $20K.

Let me know if that does not work for you.

On the other hand...... it did make me ponder. The reason I set up the minimum was to avoid a big bet all on one stock. Like NVDA $99K, MSFT $1K, GOOG $1K. But same thing is accomplished by having more stocks.

So I will make a change. If you pick 5 stocks (the max) the minimum per stock is $10K not $20K.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:29 PM

OK I think I have updated the spreadsheet with everyone's current choices.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:39 PM

Here are my bets/rationales for 2024 game. BTW my personal investing is way different than this. In real life I mostly invest for income.

TSLA (Tesla) 20%. I normally invest a LOT in Tesla, but 2024 looks to be a transition year and not a breakout year unless there's a surprise.

Model 3 and Y will get refreshes but that also means downtime to re-tool, so I expect maybe 2.0 million vehicle sales next year versus an expected 1.8 in 2023.

I expect CyberTruck to go thru "production hell" and therefore have somewhat limited sales in 2024.

The semi is still very limited. and Tesla has said they will base final design based on the testing being done by customers now. So between that and limited batteries, expect little growth in 2024

Full Self Driving - This one could surprise since the infamous Ver 12 rewrite is coming out, but I remain a FSD sceptic.

Robots - I don't expect robots to have an impact in 2024.

Energy - I expect Energy to do very well this year, but it will be incremental growth, not explosive growth.

Eli Lilly (LLY) - I expect the weight loss drugs (Ozempic, Wegovy, Mounjaro) to keep having more and more impact. Lilly is working on one that affects three GLP Receptors (Ozempic affects 1 and Mounjarou affects 2), so this is a bet that it will become the gold standard. The risk (besides the drug not getting approved) is that LLY already had a big jump this year so it may be baked into the price.

Amprius Technologies - (APMX) - Lots of companies are betting on battery technology, and this is one of them. I've seen the Munro and other YouTube videos and I'm buying into the hype that this might be one of the winners.

Taiwan Semiconductor - (TSM) A bet that the AI boom might spill over to them. They had a decent 2023 but not crazy. I'm hoping 2024 is crazy.

UIPath - (PATH) - Another AI bet, this is one that Kathy Wood likes. So, the other 4 bets are mine, this one's Kathy's !!

Last edited by Newporttom; 12-29-2023 at 02:53 PM..

Old 12-29-2023, 04:47 PM

746 posts, read 1,324,016 times
AZO . . . . . . . Autozone;
AN . . . . . . . . Auto Nation;
IMKTA . . . . . Ingles Markets;
PAG . . . . . . Penske Automotive;
CASY . . . . Casey's General Stores.

This is too much automotive, so I might change them before Tuesday.
I'm going with the least binary option again, which is 5 stocks with 20k in each one.

Old 12-29-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
AMAT
FN
LRCX
RIVN

25% each please

Ok, wrote/picked in a bit of a hurry, but this a game that's easy to overthink so go with the gut:

Obviously looking at more growth oriented things this year than normal

AMAT - These guys are super cyclical, but with all the semiconductor plant building happening, these guys should have a decent 2024. We'll see how long the party goes for.

FN - Fabrinet popped when it became understood that they also have a fast growing AI component. This is on top of a fairly top notch optics/sensor group. Both segments are vogue at the moment. Will it hold? Who knows, but it was a great 2023.

LRCX - These guys are into some interesting things, but are a play on the memory end of things for capex. They may be getting into space as well.

RIVN - It seems strange that the carriage makers of the horse and buggy day never took center stage in the automotive industry. similarly RIVN seems like one of the better bets to actually make it in the EV market....and even better that they'll do so in the US truck market. Burning cash like crazy, but they have plenty of it with orders to gain competence on. If they come out the other side of manufacturing hell will they get rewarded with TSLA valuations?

I own the latter 3 in real life...but I did recently sell call options on FN so hopefully picking it here will drop it back down for a minute.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:14 PM

Pretty good game this year. 99 different tickers picked. Only 10 picked by multiple players. Top picks? 4 on MSFT. 3 picked NVDA. Both allocated $100K.

Tried pulling in excel data....but something's not functioning well.

At any rate, good luck all!

Old 12-29-2023, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
AZO . . . . . . . Autozone;
AN . . . . . . . . Auto Nation;
IMKTA . . . . . Ingles Markets;
PAG . . . . . . Penske Automotive;
CASY . . . . Casey's General Stores.

This is too much automotive, so I might change them before Tuesday.
I'm going with the least binary option again, which is 5 stocks with 20k in each one.
Holy Crap. Autozone is $2,585.61 a share !!

Old 12-29-2023, 11:07 PM

Sending my reminders out !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing