Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

16 posts, read 9,249 times

Advertisements

I would like to buy a 24ct gold bar/coin. I heard bars have a lower premium than coins. Is there any advantage to buying a bar over coins? Could you recommend a trustworthy website? How about apmex.com? Any brand recommendations? I am planning to go with PAMP Suisse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

8,080 posts, read 12,799,949 times
I would go for the bars as a pure gold play; the coins have "Numismatic "value which can complicate the "value" of that form of gold.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

11,564 posts, read 6,041,805 times
Gold coins are much more popular than gold bars, and so are faster and easier to sell to others, and will sell for somewhat more than gold bars. I don't know that it is a big difference.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

8,080 posts, read 12,799,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Gold coins are much more popular than gold bars, and so are faster and easier to sell to others, and will sell for somewhat more than gold bars. I don't know that it is a big difference.
Wouldn't you also pay a premium when buying? It seems as if you would pay a premium for coins and then sell them for a premium. I'd rather just stick with spot price for gold.

Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM

15,470 posts, read 7,522,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Wouldn't you also pay a premium when buying? It seems as if you would pay a premium for coins and then sell them for a premium. I'd rather just stick with spot price for gold.
It depends on the coins. I had a few 1/10 ounce US Mint coins that I sold some years back, and received the spot price of gold for them. They had no real numismatic value.

Old Today, 07:05 AM

5,901 posts, read 6,971,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sha3205 View Post
I would like to buy a 24ct gold bar/coin.
Why, versus buying a gold fund? You have issues of storage, worry about it getting stolen, etc.

Old Today, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Why, versus buying a gold fund? You have issues of storage, worry about it getting stolen, etc.
We came from Asia, and once in a while, I used to buy 22ct gold jewelry. Last time, I ordered jewelry online and realized they charged so much for labor and waste. So instead of that, I thought of getting a bar or a coin. I have some gold funds in my 401k, so I want to diversify.

Old Today, 08:04 AM

9,419 posts, read 8,393,904 times
Costco is now selling gold bars, probably the least expensive place to purchase them.

Old Today, 08:36 AM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sha3205 View Post
We came from Asia, and once in a while, I used to buy 22ct gold jewelry. Last time, I ordered jewelry online and realized they charged so much for labor and waste. So instead of that, I thought of getting a bar or a coin. I have some gold funds in my 401k, so I want to diversify.
So...adding a gold bar, in addition to gold funds, is diversifying??

Old Today, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Costco is now selling gold bars, probably the least expensive place to purchase them.
Yes, I heard. I live in the Orlando area and I couldn't find it at our local Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing