Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:23 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,505 times

Advertisements

Who cares WHY stocks are going up, as longs as they continue to go up up up! When you live and breathe market-market-market, the only thing that matters is up (although some of your savvier investors can make absolute killings in a long term serial up-down-up-down market and bank the differentials over time).

Can anyone say DOW 15000 by the end of the year? And DOW 20000 by the end of next?

Sure you can expect to see minor corrections in the 20-50 point range every now and then. But as we saw, they are on an almost vertical trajectory. Especially since the precedent has been set and our saviors Bernanke and Geitner have demonstrably shown that they will not let the markets fall under any circumstances no matter what the cost or level of public outrage.

Remember. The profits are to be shared by the few. However the losses must be shared by all. You want a piece of the party? Pony up a few thousand bucks and get into the game. If you are feeling cheated because of the bailouts and such, consider this. Your reward is that you still get to eat and didn't have your house looted and burned to the ground as a consequence to societal collapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 03:33 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Who cares WHY stocks are going up, as longs as they continue to go up up up! When you live and breathe market-market-market, the only thing that matters is up (although some of your savvier investors can make absolute killings in a long term serial up-down-up-down market and bank the differentials over time).

Can anyone say DOW 15000 by the end of the year? And DOW 20000 by the end of next?

Sure you can expect to see minor corrections in the 20-50 point range every now and then. But as we saw, they are on an almost vertical trajectory. Especially since the precedent has been set and our saviors Bernanke and Geitner have demonstrably shown that they will not let the markets fall under any circumstances no matter what the cost or level of public outrage.

Remember. The profits are to be shared by the few. However the losses must be shared by all. You want a piece of the party? Pony up a few thousand bucks and get into the game. If you are feeling cheated because of the bailouts and such, consider this. Your reward is that you still get to eat and didn't have your house looted and burned to the ground as a consequence to societal collapse.
I think 15000 on the DOW is not going to happen. The market for credit is back to conservative levels and unemployment is still rising. What has happened is that the plans Obama had for the nation is not going to happen and people are rushing back into the market

Old 07-26-2009, 03:57 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I think 15000 on the DOW is not going to happen. The market for credit is back to conservative levels and unemployment is still rising. What has happened is that the plans Obama had for the nation is not going to happen and people are rushing back into the market
Sorry but as usual you are wrong. The market started ramping hard back in March when it appeared all these plans were moving forward. Either way, makes no difference at all to the market and is just noise to distract the little people away from their money.

On that note, I would just like to say thank God for Ameritrade and the other online brokers who make my life possible.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:40 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,043 times
Quote:
What has happened is that the plans Obama had for the nation is not going to happen
We can only hope(remember hope and change)...

Old 07-27-2009, 08:16 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
At first I was all

but then
http://blogs.fayobserver.com/faytoz/files/2009/01/obama-serious-face.JPG (broken link)

I serioused.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Stocks have exploded because business has cut overhead to match output. At the same time unemployemnnt is rising because of this and governamnt revenues are lower also.This is a example of what governamnt should be doing now as it can't keep borrowing to cover cost as revenues keep dropping.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:42 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Stocks have exploded because business has cut overhead to match output. At the same time unemployemnnt is rising because of this and governamnt revenues are lower also.This is a example of what governamnt should be doing now as it can't keep borrowing to cover cost as revenues keep dropping.
True. But just keep this in the back of your mind some words that the great airline guru Gordon Bethune once said: "I can make a pizza so cheap that no one will buy it or eat it".

Mr Bethune was the one who took Continental Airlines from being a heartbeat away from liquidation and built it up into one of the worlds Class Act airlines.

The point of what he was saying was that you can only hack away at costs for so long before you've cut so much that it begins to work against you.

Cost cutting, being the usual knee-jerk reaction that it usually is as opposed to a well planned strategy, can only do so much. If you've pared off your entire staff, your product, and so forth, yeah. You may have scored a short term victory for your shareholders, but for any of them who looks an inch beyond their nose (which means close to zero percent of them), in the long run, you've set yourself up for much bigger losses.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:26 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Sorry but as usual you are wrong. The market started ramping hard back in March when it appeared all these plans were moving forward. Either way, makes no difference at all to the market and is just noise to distract the little people away from their money.

On that note, I would just like to say thank God for Ameritrade and the other online brokers who make my life possible.
When they pass cap and trade, and they will the market will go back down.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,223 times
Quote:
Wrong! The market will find a way to profit from it.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:09 AM

975 posts, read 1,754,625 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if cap and trade will pass or not and I'm a lot more informed and smarter than you so we'll have to see.

As for the market, I don't care which way it goes. I make almost all my money shorting and thats true regardless which way the market goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing