U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-22-2011, 03:23 PM
 
14 posts, read 59,699 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Thanks for all who responded to my inquiry on a location to buy/rent.

I've found a nice place in Coralville and it's only 10 min away from the University Hospital.

My next task is to get the utilities in place, including broadband internet. My requirement is to have speed of at least 20 Mbps, preferrably 50 Mbps. Any recommendations?

I've come across quite a few bundle deals that include phone service and cable tv. To me these are nice but not essential because I only watch tv occasionally and I rely mostly on my cellphone. Having good quality internet service is my top priority. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2011, 01:15 PM
 
116 posts, read 340,013 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontsu View Post
Thanks for all who responded to my inquiry on a location to buy/rent.

I've found a nice place in Coralville and it's only 10 min away from the University Hospital.

My next task is to get the utilities in place, including broadband internet. My requirement is to have speed of at least 20 Mbps, preferrably 50 Mbps. Any recommendations?

I've come across quite a few bundle deals that include phone service and cable tv. To me these are nice but not essential because I only watch tv occasionally and I rely mostly on my cellphone. Having good quality internet service is my top priority. Thanks.
In Iowa, the only your "best" option will be probably Mediacom . Mediacom typically charges $15 extra if your have just standalone HSI. Mediacom ranked nationally among worst service providers. I recommend when you sign up with them, do not let them you fool for their sales pressure tactics and just opt to no-contract month-month service, so in case if you get disappointed, you could always switch to another ISP. Also do not rent their modem but get your own D3 cable modem from BestBuy or ebay. Qwest (now CenturyLink) may have DSL in your area, check their offerings. Its possible they may offer new fast tiers in your area, since Coralville is a new dynamic growing town in Iowa with new developments.

If you get disappointed with mediacom and dsl is not available/also unreliable in your area, your last option would be to get a regional WISP. In Dubuque its You2Square, IC may have a similar provider. It requires antenna installation on rooftop pointed to a tower. If its not available your another option is Verizon 4G LTE service. THey offer it in Iowa City and it may be available in Coralville. While this service has low caps to due its nature (since its mobile broadband) , 10 GB of use with fast reliable connection is better than Mediacom dial-up speeds. Another fast mobile broadband option available to you is AT&T Wireless. Skip Sprint/Virgin Mobile/US Cellular/Cricket and i-Wireless/T-Mobile. T-Mobile service has a very decent service in most major metro areas but it does not serve Eastern Iowa - its their partner I-Wireless. But I do not recommend them.

Good luck in your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 01:17 PM
 
116 posts, read 340,013 times
Reputation: 51
Also check this National Broadband Map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 08:27 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 2,124,676 times
Reputation: 549
I'm thinking Mediacom will be your only option at the speeds you want. Qwest/Century Link was always perfectly reliable for me, but I think getting to 10 Mbps might be a stretch. I know its always changing, so you could call/check their website and see what speeds they offer, but I'd be very surprised if anyone other than cable modem gets to 20+ Mbps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 08:45 PM
 
116 posts, read 340,013 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I'm thinking Mediacom will be your only option at the speeds you want. Qwest/Century Link was always perfectly reliable for me, but I think getting to 10 Mbps might be a stretch. I know its always changing, so you could call/check their website and see what speeds they offer, but I'd be very surprised if anyone other than cable modem gets to 20+ Mbps.
Former Qwest has launched in few areas service called "Heavy Duty" where they have those speeds that high using either VDSL (that requires DSLAMs closer homes) or fiber to the home (what verizon uses for their FIOS product in East Coast). Minneapolis or Denver certainly got those. In Iowa Des Moines may have it but I do not know about CR, IC or Quad Cities (I think last one is served by AT&T).

But CenturyLink certainly invests money and even if OP does not have now too many options from them, he or she may have in near future. They certainly want to compete with Mediacom. They have plans to expand IPTV service to more areas (similar service is already offered by AT&T U-Verse).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 11:38 AM
 
14 posts, read 59,699 times
Reputation: 15
Just checked out CenturyLink's pricing for stand-along broadband service and bundles combining directTV. Their prices are far superior than Mediacom. The 40 Mbps broadband combining with directTV with 210 channels bundle costs $65.89/month with a one year contract!

For comparison, Mediacom offers 20 Mbps internet with basic FamilyCable for $89.85/month for 1st year and $110/month for 2nd year with a 2-year contract.

That's a fairly lopsided comparison. Now my only question is CenturyLink's reliability in the area.

Has anybody used QWest/CenturyLink? Can you share your experience with them? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 PM
 
116 posts, read 340,013 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontsu View Post
Just checked out CenturyLink's pricing for stand-along broadband service and bundles combining directTV. Their prices are far superior than Mediacom. The 40 Mbps broadband combining with directTV with 210 channels bundle costs $65.89/month with a one year contract!

For comparison, Mediacom offers 20 Mbps internet with basic FamilyCable for $89.85/month for 1st year and $110/month for 2nd year with a 2-year contract.

That's a fairly lopsided comparison. Now my only question is CenturyLink's reliability in the area.

Has anybody used QWest/CenturyLink? Can you share your experience with them? Thanks.
I can only share my experience with their sales but not actual service. I have heard from few folks who own this that their service is consistent and reliable though.

When they were still Qwest I called them before I got Mediacom to ask for DSL available in my area. Their website was saying "no dsl", while over the phone CS gave quote 256kb/s (thats not broadband). I later asked the same question on dslreports and was informed from a technician who serves my area that I was wrongly informed. He said there was something going wrong in their system and that I should be able to get up to 7 mb/s.

Few months later, I check centurylink website (after their merger with qwest) and get quoted with speeds up to 12mb/s!. But when I call CS to confirm, I am told I can get only up to 7 mb/s. It does not mean they necessarily don't have 12mb available in my area, but for current conditions of my lines 7mb is probably the best what they can offer without professional installation. But I bet in order to really get accurate answer I would have to contact local technicians instead sales department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 PM
 
21 posts, read 50,899 times
Reputation: 16
I've been a Mediacom user for 2 years and I am very satisfied with my internet speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 06:48 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 2,124,676 times
Reputation: 549
I had Qwest and never had any problems with service reliability. Had my modem quit on me once and thought it was lame that they charged me a few bucks for the phone call to verify if it was the modem or if their lines were down. Other than that, no complaints.

Definitely call though...I've found the same thing as il_blguy that sometime the speeds they list online aren't actually available when you call to order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top