Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevec View Post
. Not so many concerts here -- but enough comes through CR or quad cities to be OK -- or just make the 4-5 hr drive to Chicago, Minneapolis, or St Louis now and then for a big show.

I think the Picador does a pretty good job of getting live music in Iowa City. I guess that kind of depends on what you're into though. If you're looking for arena/major label bands, Iowa City isn't going to have anything like that. Lots of smaller indie acts come through though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 12:36 AM

310 posts, read 1,282,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I think the Picador does a pretty good job of getting live music in Iowa City. I guess that kind of depends on what you're into though. If you're looking for arena/major label bands, Iowa City isn't going to have anything like that. Lots of smaller indie acts come through though.
We sure do get major label performers, we just had a lull in activity since Steve "worthless piece of crap" Alford wouldn't allow concerts at Carver Hawkeye Arena. Now that Coach Lickliter is at the helm he is allowing concerts into CHA once again. While Alford was in town (and subsequently run out of town) there were many high caliber shows at the Iowa Memorial Union, great place but lacking the space of CHA. Things will be back to normal very very soon.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:04 AM

841 posts, read 2,261,252 times
HAHHA NO ^

What UC School would you compare it to academically ?

Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
HAHHA NO ^
What are you HAHHA No-ing?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
Academically or socially? Seems like you are asking about both. I have no clue what Iowa would compare to academically. It's a good state school, has the best writing program in the country, like mentioned the town has a very high rate of educated adults. I have no clue about any school in Cali though, so I don't know how to compare. As for it's liberalness, I believe that Berkely is a very liberal university? So maybe that would compare.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:46 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
U of I is not near as liberal as Berkeley is. It probably has the same vibe as UC Santa Cruz.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
it's a very educated city, very liberal, loves to drink and party, forward thinking city as well with an economy that's been going strong for decades. Just jump in and have fun, no one will give the slightest thought that you're from California. There are tons of international students from around the world, and a ton of Chicagoans, along with other Iowans. I never really bothered to figure out where all my friends were when I moved - we were there for school and to have fun.

Here's a thread I did with some pictures of Iowa City (a lot) not too long ago. They were found on Flickr:

//www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/...here-some.html

Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 PM

681 posts, read 3,036,352 times
I really don't know much about California, but I'll go along with Santa Cruz.

It's quirky, progressive and liberal. But it's a more polite liberal...not militantly liberal like Berkeley. A town that likes to have fun...lots of restaurants and bars. Considers itself to be somewhat cosmopolitan...and it is for Iowa, not sure if someone used to California would consider it so.

Probably about 70-75% Democrat. Lots of burned out old hippies and activists around...co-ops and group houses.

Solid academic school. Very strong in English programs (creative writing, journalism, ect.), education and medicine. Not particularly a technical school...not MIT by any stretch of the imagination. Very strong sports culture and school pride.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:05 PM

6 posts, read 22,747 times
I don't know what part of california you are from. ... So you know, it is hard to know what you "do expect". I have lived in California and Iowa City. I can say Iowa City is awesome and if I had it to do over I would have gone to U of I for undergrad and graduate school ! Tons of great ... smart .... good looking ... WOMEN! Fun bars.

Fun college atmosphere as far as everyone having team spirit. As you know, the school is well recognized for what it offers as a university.

WARNING: DO not then decide to go outside of IOWA CITY and venture into other Iowa towns....i.e., Des Moines. It is not the same.

Oh ... yeah .... I have been a lot of places to relax, party, socialize ... etc. California has some awesome places .... but other places are better in some respects .... and Cali of course has some ... well, not so great parts ... that are big.

So, although California is great ... Iowans hate to hear about how .... um ... this place is, they take it personal as if it isn't "all that." Which its not.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:14 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRole View Post
WARNING: DO not then decide to go outside of IOWA CITY and venture into other Iowa towns....i.e., Des Moines. It is not the same.
What happens if you venture out into other Iowa towns?!!?

God, I'm starting to think all of these "pro-IA City, anti-anything else" people are the same person under different names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City