Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:13 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

I hope you didn't blink and miss it.

But it seems the Hawkeye State is about to become the Hawkeyes' State.

The brave new and insane world of college athletics is now upon us. And Iowa just became a one university state.

Nebraska to the Big Ten or Eleven or Big Dozen or Not So Sweet 16. With the Texas and Oklahoma schools & CU joining the Pac-Whatever.

That leaves Kansas and its vaunted basketball program scheduling home-and-home series with Witchita State, Nebraska-Omaha, and Northeast South Dakota State Teachers and Agricultural College at Prairieville (the old NESDSTACP for those into acronyms).

IOWA STATE? Foregetaboutit! Collateral damage in a swirling BCS cyclone that consumes all the little guys in its path.

Gold and black are the colors now, even in Ames.

Who knows. Maybe there are lessons to be learned in this brave, new, insane world that is college sports (or NFL Lite) today. Maybe the folks in Nebraska can learn how a relatively small and relatively agrarian state like Iowa can generate a top notch, quality public university of what was once known as Big Ten standards like the University of Iowa. Something to think about when the heyseeds from Cornhusker Nation pack Kinnick Stadium in red and white some autumn afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:12 PM

15 posts, read 43,132 times
Watching KCCI sports right now to hear all about this little drama. Poor 'Clones. Their athletic director was talking to the governor & senate. What are THEY going to do? This is getting more and more interesting!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:53 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenIowaGirl View Post
Watching KCCI sports right now to hear all about this little drama. Poor 'Clones. Their athletic director was talking to the governor & senate. What are THEY going to do? This is getting more and more interesting!
seems like the Hawkeye Nation would fight the governor and senate tooth and nail over ISU membership in the Big Ten.

They've got a good deal with the Big Ten out in Iowa City. The only conference school in the state, a small state that relies heavily on recruiting in adjacent heavily populated states.

Chicago, for example, is (among other things) very much Hawkeye country. It hardly serves the University of Iowa to make it a recruiting ground for the Cyclones.

The University of Iowa transcends the state of Iowa in its relationship with the Big Ten. Far to the east in state, an hour to the Mississippi, the university has been shaped by its nearness to the Great Lakes states that came along with location and Big Ten membership. The University of Iowa, in its way, through enrollment and essence of the institution, is a university of east of the Mississippi River as well as the west. The University of Oklahoma is pure Oklahoma, the image of the state. The University of Iowa is hardly a mirror for the state of its name in such a degree.

Iowa is Big Ten heartland; Iowa State, not so much. The Big Ten loves the University of Iowa and sees it as full member in great standing in the conference. Such a position would be severely compromised if the conference had two schools in state.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:45 PM

Oh, I fully agree. My father seems to think ISU might try to join the Missouri Valley Conference, with UNI. I'm not sure UNI would take too kindly to that, either. Your description of U of I and its reach was beyond perfect, and astoundingly beautiful. Thank you, from a true Iowa girl, for your words!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:22 PM

66 posts, read 185,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
seems like the Hawkeye Nation would fight the governor and senate tooth and nail over ISU membership in the Big Ten.

They've got a good deal with the Big Ten out in Iowa City. The only conference school in the state, a small state that relies heavily on recruiting in adjacent heavily populated states.

Chicago, for example, is (among other things) very much Hawkeye country. It hardly serves the University of Iowa to make it a recruiting ground for the Cyclones.

The University of Iowa transcends the state of Iowa in its relationship with the Big Ten. Far to the east in state, an hour to the Mississippi, the university has been shaped by its nearness to the Great Lakes states that came along with location and Big Ten membership. The University of Iowa, in its way, through enrollment and essence of the institution, is a university of east of the Mississippi River as well as the west. The University of Oklahoma is pure Oklahoma, the image of the state. The University of Iowa is hardly a mirror for the state of its name in such a degree.

Iowa is Big Ten heartland; Iowa State, not so much. The Big Ten loves the University of Iowa and sees it as full member in great standing in the conference. Such a position would be severely compromised if the conference had two schools in state.
Just wondering if hawkeye football was the only big ten (10) school with only three blacks on deffence and only two (2) on offence year after year?Also i'm wondering if the hawkeyes are the only big 10 school that is not located in a state with pro football? just wondering if iowa ran george ravlen out of town for bringing in to many black players, reason i ask is because every since there has never been no more than 2-3 black players on this team at once,maybe 4 players.Why are the hawkeyes football only good every 8-9 years and why all of this false pride about hawkeye football ,it's not like they are big dogs or anything? just wondering thats all.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:25 AM

135 posts, read 408,655 times
Despite all you low tech sports fanatics believe the sun will rise again , gravity will still exist and life will go on.

Instead of crying over the fate of a bunch of semi trained monkeys fighting for a damn ball why not take up a high tech sport that actually has professional teams playing here in Iowa , Auto Racing.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:28 AM

Oh, I'm a racing fan too, Mercruise. Went to the inaugural Nationwide Race in Newton last year, as well as the truck race, and a few others the couple years before. I'm just a Hawkeye fan, enjoying a laugh over all this drama with the Cyclones--No need to judge!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
I have never understood the auto racing craze. Watching cars run around in circles for hours is boring to me. To each his own though.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 06-11-2010, 09:18 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo-iowa View Post
Just wondering if hawkeye football was the only big ten (10) school with only three blacks on deffence and only two (2) on offence year after year?Also i'm wondering if the hawkeyes are the only big 10 school that is not located in a state with pro football? just wondering if iowa ran george ravlen out of town for bringing in to many black players, reason i ask is because every since there has never been no more than 2-3 black players on this team at once,maybe 4 players.Why are the hawkeyes football only good every 8-9 years and why all of this false pride about hawkeye football ,it's not like they are big dogs or anything? just wondering thats all.

You said you were leaving the forum.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
They always come back

Jasper Hobbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa