Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times

Advertisements

I never thought I'd ever hear the words GAY and IOWA used in the same sentence! Of course I never thought I'd ever pay $4.00 for a gallon of gas either! What a world!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
Which brings up a good question. Do u want to adopt or have your own? If own with what woman you would have a child? I just can't imagine doing this latter while avoiding Bermuda triangle. Hence maybe why many gays choose "normal life" but can't stay honest. And what about bi guys?

I am most afraid of them, bc they can seem tO be good friends but once you know their little secret but are not interested in you knowing you might be interestEd in them, they will in rude fashion ditch you and never speak to you again. :/
What are you even talking about? Adoption and artificial insemination are both viable options. I'm not cheating on my husband by using an egg donor or surrogate. That's what they're there for.

I have plenty of straight male friends whom I don't and will never have any interest in romantically. And my sexuality is not my "little secret" any more than my right-handedness is.

You need to get to know some gay people before jumping to these weird conclusions...

Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I never thought I'd ever hear the words GAY and IOWA used in the same sentence! Of course I never thought I'd ever pay $4.00 for a gallon of gas either! What a world!!
I'd think of "gay" and "Iowa" in the same sentence before I'd ever think of most southern states and "gay" in the same sentence. I'd imagine Iowa is a much more relaxed and comfortable state to live in than Arkansas, Tenn, Alabama, Miss., etc.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'd think of "gay" and "Iowa" in the same sentence before I'd ever think of most southern states and "gay" in the same sentence. I'd imagine Iowa is a much more relaxed and comfortable state to live in than Arkansas, Tenn, Alabama, Miss., etc.
Apparently you havent been to Eureka Springs Arkansas lately!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Quote:
So you believe in all those cliche's too? I was always told Iowans were open minded.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:05 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
So you believe in all those cliche's too? I was always told Iowans were open minded.
Have you spent a lot of time in the deep south as a gay person? I have.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:49 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:
No...but he played one on TV.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:49 PM

51 posts, read 144,732 times
I lived in the Des Moines area for about 50 yrs. I've only been through Keokuk once. However, the Ft. Madison-Keokuk area LOST 8% of its population in the last 3-5 years.

Other loss cities in IA include (I believe) Ft. Dodge, Mason City, and maybe Dubuque. The point is, they're losing for a reason. Keokuk is a very pretty town (Dubuque is even prettier). But there are other factors, which may or may not relate to gayness.

All I know is those places lost population for a reason.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:05 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
There are gay friendly cities in the south, but very few small towns in the south would be considered gay friendly. Even in the most liberal states, though, small towns tend to be conservative unless they happen to be college towns.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,990 times
i have been reading all the posts. My partner and I live in ND where it is still legal to get fired or kicked out of your home for being gay. My partner is a supervisor in a food manaufacturing plant, do we have been looking for similar jobs in Iowa. We just want to be able to get married and not live in a place where we are not hated. I have been doing alot of research on Iowa and appreciate all the feed back. I think the closest gay bar to ND is in MN. We are going to be moving from this place sometime this summer. I like the idea of drawing a line down the middle of the map and go east. That give us a place to start.

miserable in ND---Dani and tina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa