Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 PM

358 posts, read 916,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcop View Post
You generalize and catagorize without stats or studies to backup your statements. How many towns under 5000 did you spend any time in?
But, it's much easier to grouse when one lacks the education and experience to understand the situation.

Racism exists in every state.

Poverty exists in every state.

Generosity exists in every state.

Wonderful opportunities exist in every state.

Whenever anyone wants to blame an entire state for a negative attribute, the comment only negatively reflects back onto the person himself.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:06 AM

134 posts, read 590,595 times
my daughtler was wanting to play with 2 black girls and what did they do they put dirt in her shoes also in her hair she kepted telling them to stop and they wouldnt stop . all she wanted to do is play with the girls that all play was that call for NO they have made fun of her too because she is slow . it not just whites who is raciest it blacks too .there are people who are raciest about people who are mentally disbled too.you learn to live with it .where anywhere you go there always be someone who is raciest about something.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:24 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
There is racism in Iowa, and it is definitely as racist as most Southern states, yet in a different way. It's more behind your back in Iowa though, not really blatant, but it's very much there. There are small pockets of minorities in the bigger cities, but still nothing truly diverse. Anywhere you find an almost entirely homogeneous population you are going to encounter racism, and very few Iowans have been exposed to culture far beyond their beloved, one-of-a-kind, amazing showcase of life in the rural 1940's, the State Fair.

Even big cities in diverse states have their race problems, but people at least know as to not stereotype every minority because they've probably met someone before who defies the stereotype and people at least tend to be less ignorant in these places.

Police also seem to target minorities more in Iowa, probably because they stand out so easily.

DesMoinesRegister.com

Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 AM

14 posts, read 34,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I went to high school and Junior College there and in high school 80 to 90 percent of the teasing I got in high school were things where race had to be mentioned. Very creatitive, those Iowans. This is pretty sad, when you consider the black population of Iowa is just over 2 percent. Who's running the justice department there, the KKK? Iowa City and Des Moines proably are racially cool along with Council Bluffs, but that is basically Nebraska. The rest of the state, particulary the towns under 5000, is not that progressive at all however.
What does Iowa stand for? (Idiots out walking around!!)
I'm just kidding among that last part. It's too bad Vermont is up there too, I love Vermont and you would not think that a progressive state like VT would be almost up there with Iowa when it comes to this.
FO
for starters creatitive is spelled creative. Proably I'm sure is probably. um..... idiots out walking around LOL i am sure your teasing came more from education then race.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:35 AM

358 posts, read 916,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
very few Iowans have been exposed to culture far beyond their beloved, one-of-a-kind, amazing showcase of life in the rural 1940's, the State Fair.
Your ignorance is beyond reproach. Your extremely small pocket of uneducated, not well-traveled friends does not reflect the entire state's population. Kindly deposit your own prejudiced ideas elsewhere.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 AM

23 posts, read 115,374 times
This is ridiculous. Racism is rampant everywhere, regardless of city size. Ever been to Chicago?! It's not rural, it is *almost* as metropolitan as you get in this country, and racism is horrible.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,696 times
Lets not all forget, black and other minorities arent the only victims of race. I live in Omaha and there is a large amount of racism from blacks towards whites. So lets jsut deal with it.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:55 AM

14 posts, read 66,942 times
I cant belive this.My friend came to ames with her job from Reading,England(Where I am)19 years ago.She is a white British woman and her husband was a West indian,she has a mixed race child who is now 28 and has a very good job in Des Moines.(She divorced her husband before she went over)One evening the race issue was brought up and I can honestly say they have never come across any problems.But if you thing playing the race card is abig issue in the USA you should come to england,its being played time after time

Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 AM

3 posts, read 9,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I went to high school and Junior College there and in high school 80 to 90 percent of the teasing I got in high school were things where race had to be mentioned. Very creatitive, those Iowans. This is pretty sad, when you consider the black population of Iowa is just over 2 percent. Who's running the justice department there, the KKK? Iowa City and Des Moines proably are racially cool along with Council Bluffs, but that is basically Nebraska. The rest of the state, particulary the towns under 5000, is not that progressive at all however.
What does Iowa stand for? (Idiots out walking around!!)
I'm just kidding among that last part. It's too bad Vermont is up there too, I love Vermont and you would not think that a progressive state like VT would be almost up there with Iowa when it comes to this.

FO

I think it's really sad you have to come here and bash all of Iowa for the deeds of a few for starters. That's kind of like me bashing all black people because ONE stole my purse. I lived in one of those "not progressive" towns all my life. And that not progressive town is full of hispanics, and I was really never the wiser. The thought honestly didn't even come to me to group these people as "different" and I never knew anyone that did. I was also able to take college classes for free thru my high school. Later, I would even bring my non-white husband to stay with my family in Iowa for vacation. There were no crosses burning in our yard at night, and no one greeted him with hatefulness.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and likely you will continue to have them, even if you move to VT, CA, FL, wherever. Why? Because ignorant people are everywhere. That doesn't give you the right to bash thousands of people you don't even know.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:46 AM

54 posts, read 307,129 times
In my Opinion, this thread should be LOCKED and/or DELETED.

Thread Poster: If you have issues stemming from when you were a child, PLEASE SEEK HELP. In my experience, most Iowans are friendly IF YOU ARE FRIENDLY AND RESPECTFUL BACK. And Playing the Race card is NOT GONNA WORK HERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa