Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 PM

23 posts, read 72,397 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to take an executive position at a company in Cedar Rapids. I would be moving from Chicago...5 blocks from Wrigley. Obviously, I know I can't expect anything like where I live today. But, where in CR would a single guy, 40 years old, be able to buy a house that would let me be close to some restaurants and bars where there might be some sort of night life? I want a single family home with a fenced yard for my two dogs. Budget up to $400k.

Any thoughts on neighborhoods or parts of town? Help me out...I know nothing about CR except it is nothing like Chicago.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:57 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,624 times
If you're looking to have some of the amenities you're used, I'm afraid you're going to have to look at Iowa City for the time being. Cedar Rapids is starting to make good strides, but it's just not there yet in terms of offering vibrant, semi-urban neighborhoods.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:59 PM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
The night life isn't too active in Cedar Rapids, but I would suggest some areas in the SE part of town (just not around the Wellington Heights area) might put you closer to downtown that has some nightlife. Also, parts of Ellis (around the golf course) is closer to downtown. It's very easy to get around Cedar Rapids, I would concentrate more on a nice neighborhood and with your budget, you pretty much have your pick. You might want to be closer to 380, so you have easy access to Iowa City as an alternative for some nightlife. Maybe others will have better suggestions. Best wishes on your move!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:36 PM

46 posts, read 131,208 times
I agree with 2nd post-you need to look in Iowa City. There isn't anything like that in CR-seriously. It's only a 30 min drive and it's not a bad drive.
"Maybe" something around central Marion might work for you since it has the main street area but "nightlife" is seriously lacking in Iowa.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,544 times
You can look within the Iowa City metro at places like or near North Liberty. Close enough to Iowa City that public transit is offered to downtown, and also close to Cedar Rapids where your commute would only be a 15 minute drive.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,512 times
Default NE Side

We live in CR, there are plenty of restraunts and bars in now, its just still pretty choppy as far as where since the floods. The downtown area is getting much better for entertainment...if you know where to go, but the living options down there are not ideal. There is a beautiful neighborhood on the SE side, check addresses like Grand Ave and surrounding (anything higher than 20th street). Then it is at least a quick cab ride. If you are looking for walking distance, you just wont find much of that unless you go to Iowa City. Many commute. We do enjoy going to restraunts and going out now and then, but we live on the NE side of CR and just cab it when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa