Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 02:02 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,207 times

Advertisements

There is a strong possibility that I will be relocating to Cedar Rapids for employment. I am a single male in my late-20's originally from South Carolina (and active on City-Data!)

I was in CR last month and while there began the apartment search by driving around and using the Apartment Finder magazine. I came away concerned that I am not going to find what I am looking for. The type of apartment communities that I am looking for are newer communities that are clean and appealing from both the outside and inside. I thought I have found that with Chapel Ridge of Marion until I went there and found out it is income restricted.

I was aiming for a 1BR under $700 (which I think is reasonable for the Cedar Rapids market).

Most of what I saw in and around Cedar Rapids were one of two things:

1. Older apartment complexes (or older buildings around town operated by off-site management) that aren't too appealing on the outside or the inside.

2. "Condo-style" buildings that are operated by off-site management as well. While many seem to be nice/new, my problem with these are that they all seem to be 2BR or 3BD and I'm really just looking for a 1BR under $700.

Does anyone have any suggestions of nice apartment complexes that you would recommend? Are there any newer apartment complexes that maybe aren't advertised yet that I am missing? I will be back in CR the week after Thanksgiving and will probably have more time to devote to apartment searching as well.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 01:47 PM

No one on the Iowa forum is from or familiar with the Cedar Rapids area?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,561 times
Maybe if you can't find the apartment you are looking for, just try to adjust of what is there. As what I know about Cedar Rapids is full of great business opportunities, a wonderful place for people of all ages. I really like the place.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:34 PM

586 posts, read 2,184,626 times
I'm not from Cedar Rapids, but you might want to check into a new project getting built near downtown called the Oakhill Jackson Brickstones.

The only caution is that it's not in the prettiest of areas and it is largely income restricted. Don't worry though, this isn't a Section 8 property and the developer/property managers do an excellent job of screening tenants.

A pretty cool looking urban property:

Hatch Development Group (http://www.hatchdevelopment.com/oakhill.html - broken link)

Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 PM

Thank you both for the replies! I'll take a look at the Oakhill Jackson Brickstones, though if it is income restricted it may not be an option. I was really disappointed when I went to that really nice looking complex in Marion and finding out that you have to make $30k and under just to live there in a 1BR.

Other than my apartment search, I have been really pleased with what I have seen and experienced in Cedar Rapids and the Corridor area. I'll be out there next week so maybe I'll find some more ideas for living arrangements that I like.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:00 AM

586 posts, read 2,184,626 times
You might check with the people developing the apartments pictured above to see if they do have a few units that aren't income restricted. They've had a small portion of their units set aside at market rate with many of their projects in Des Moines.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 9,672 times
I live at Granite Valley and it's mostly fine. Nothing smaller than a 2-BR though. I think you'll struggle to find a 1-BR in a decent area, and it probably makes sense to cough up another $80 a month or so for a 2-BR. There are plenty of apt complexes that have 2-BR apartments that don't advertise on Craigslist or online, unfortunately. Best to spend a couple days driving around and stopping in to management office. Big complex on Boyson, east of Robins Rd. that might be a little cheaper than GV. Of course, I don't know what part of town you're looking in. Best of luck to you.

Oh, and I agree with you on the Marion complex. That place looks really nice and the income restrictions ticked me off too.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:49 PM

12 posts, read 38,493 times
Would happen to have the contact information to the nice property in Marion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa