Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:11 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times

Advertisements

Well I was thinking about this thread earlier this afternoon, so I thought I would dig it out of the Iowa Forum attic. *blows off dust*

TRY Big Muddy's in Burlington, it's downtown on the Mississippi in a really pretty setting below a bluff near the Bridge, and it's in an old historic train depot. They have a patio to eat out on when the weather is nice, and I believe they play local music sometimes out there at night. It's really a great place with great food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 06:11 AM

67 posts, read 302,226 times
The Tic Toc in Cedar Rapids is really good food in an interesting setting

Rudy's Tacos in Waterloo/Cedar Falls (can't remember which) awesome with hanging dolls all over

The Brown Bottle (I know there are several but the food is amazing!)

Old 02-21-2008, 07:06 AM

117 posts, read 619,813 times
hehe, yes...The Brown Bottle is one of my favorites.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3BB's View Post
Rudy's Tacos in Waterloo/Cedar Falls (can't remember which) awesome with hanging dolls all over
It's in Waterloo at Falls Ave. and Ansborough. This might be a chain, maybe just a local one... I know there is one in Davenport as well.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
These are both chain restaurants.
Maid-rite is actually corporately based out of Urbandale and started in Iowa - then became a chain.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:44 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Maid Rite was on the food network a while back ago and they did a clip on one in Des Moines, it was kind of cool.

I like Maid Rite. I don't get there that often, but usually whenever I'm at Southridge Mall I'll stop by the one there. I guess the company is planning on launching a ton of new restaurants here pretty soon.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:29 PM

5 posts, read 34,373 times
The Seafood Market at the Clock Tower in West Des Moines is one of my favorite places to eat. Grilled shrimp. DROOL! I LOVE IT!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:03 PM

206 posts, read 382,918 times
Hmm, can't believe no one's mentioned the Lincoln Cafe in Mt. Vernon...guess I'll have to represent .

The Lincoln's specials are amazing--delicious, unexpected, beautifully presented food made from very fresh, often local ingredients. I lived in L.A. for a long time and was wined and dined in Honolulu one summer, and the specials at the Lincoln remind me of some of the first rate restaurants there, though with a southern rather than Asian flair.

The decor is small-town retro-hip, with a rotating display of local artists on the walls, and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable.

But what makes this something you won't find anywhere else is that the fancy-schmancy specials are combined with a wonderful basic menu--great hamburgers, fresh-made potato chips, some of the best guacamole I've had anywhere, etc.--at great prices. So while you could easily pay over $50/person if you get wine from the wine bar, a special and dessert, it is also possible for my family of 5 to eat there (and eat well) for under twenty-five bucks.

I can't think of another place I could as happily go for either a date night or a family dinner (early weekday evening--don't want to disrupt those dates!).

Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,416 times
Thumbs up Three family-oriented restaurants... fast & fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Maid Rite ....
When I saw IA and posts for Restaurants... I had to come and be certain Maid Rite was on the list! I grew up visiting IA 1-2x/year, and I remember stopping by Maid Rites in Marshalltown... the place was *always* full! You'd have to stand until a stool opened for you to sit down. Then our family just lined up! We had fun watching them stir the steamed meat in the vat, then smashing our Maid Rites down in their little paper once they arrived to the counter. Yum! It is *not* the same as a burger - much better! And when you're done... don't forget to order a shake with extra malt to go!

To this day, everytime I drive through IA (not as often), I order about 20+ of them to take to my folks for everyone to have one. What nice memories!

I also want to put in a note for Culver's. I know they are another burger place, and I really don't eat much red meat - mostly fr/vege gal and Salmon, but... they make *their* burgers *fresh* when you order them, and grill them - to my understanding - with butter! Butterburgers. And another great shake debate on that one as well... always extra malt!

And ... Pizza Ranch. (Mercy! I really don't eat out this much.) They are a nice place to take a family - good, clean, family-atmosphere, and the most interesting pizza combinations you'll ever find! If they don't have it? Just ask! They'll make it for you! I like their BBQ Chicken & Taco Pizzas! Yum! I try to make it once every month or two to a Pizza Ranch. Great place to meet with friends. Sign up for their online specials!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
I also want to put in a note for Culver's. I know they are another burger place, and I really don't eat much red meat - mostly fr/vege gal and Salmon, but... they make *their* burgers *fresh* when you order them, and grill them - to my understanding - with butter! Butterburgers. And another great shake debate on that one as well... always extra malt!
Unfortunately, Culver's is based out of Wisconsin. I wish we could claim them as our fame ... those are some of the best restaurants I've ever been too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa