Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:17 AM

24 posts, read 113,209 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Iowa and I have been watching all the snow storms that are passing by ( sorry guys wow are they brutal). I wanted to know on average when does your winters start to break? I wanted to move on April 1st and didn't want to move to a new area and have to contend with snow halfway up my car, lol. Thanks guys I appreciate your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:20 AM

209 posts, read 1,089,487 times
The snow is supposed to be melting off some this weekend across the state...

Right now we have about eight inches on the ground here west of Dubuque...

Areas that I would consider moving to are:

Dubuque: With an impressive job market and constantly making the list for the 100 best communities for children, and an all-american city in 2007, the 23rd fastest growing job market in the country in 2006, and overall beauty and landscape that are the opposite of what is associated with Iowa, this community shines.

Iowa City: A bit more exciting than Dubuque, and maybe the most exciting city in the state, this major college town has a variety of amenities. The downtown "mall" has several shops and bars and often people in the courtyards playing live music in the summer, the city is lively. With the University of Iowa in the city, the young vibe cannot be ignored or missed, only move to IC if you like the party scene.

Des Moines: The Insurance Capital of the Midwest. The largest city in the state, the city may have the most to offer. A not so impressive college in the city is Drake, I'd rank it about 4th in state behind Iowa State, UnivIowa, UNI, and then Drake... The skyline is impressive, the city is low crime, but moderate traffic. The cost of housing is remarkably low, even downtown, for a city it's size in the Midwest, getting about 1500 square feet for 300K, downtown.

Populations, I forgot.

Dubuque: Approaching 60,000; Dubuque County/Metro: approaching 100,000.
Iowa City: Approaching 70,000; Cedar Rapids/Iowa City CSA: approaching 350,000, (Johnson County is about 110,000)
Des Moines: Just under 200,000; Metro area of about 700,000, Polk County about 400,000.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:24 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Default Answer to question.

Original poster asked best time to move to Iowa not a sales pitch on where to move. I suspect person already has a location in mind.

An answer to the question is I would wait until at least the middle of April, we still get some snow in April and it can still be chilly moving furniture and things.

Also I see you are moving from West Virginia so cross country traveling weather in early April can be dicey. Best to wait a bit further into spring.

Regards,
Jasper

Last edited by jasperhobbs; 01-26-2008 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-26-2008, 02:12 PM

459 posts, read 2,228,301 times
April 1 is perfect. It really starts to feel like spring in April.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
April 1 is perfect. It really starts to feel like spring in April.
Thanks I was thinking April 1st but I wasn't sure. Like I said I don't know the area and didn't want to move to a strange state during a snow storm.

Thanks everyone for your answers I really appreciate them.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:59 PM

296 posts, read 1,283,835 times
Our "average date of last killing frost" is supposedly April 30 in Cedar Rapids; if there's any snow April 1, it will be short-lived, generally. I think you might have more problems coming over the mountains out your way. I have a hard time imagining being chilly and moving furniture at the same time, anyway ;-) I'd rather have it be cool enough that everything doesn't get all sweaty! Good luck with the move, and welcome to Iowa!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 PM

I'd say mid-April. We had a snowstorm last year in early April... and was brutal cold through Easter. May is beautiful in Iowa.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 PM

And sorry about my first message, I got carried away. My answer led to an off-topic subject. And JASPER HOBBS, stop attacking me, every time I compliment Dubuque, you are ALL OVER IT. I can have my own opinion and you can have yours, the majority of people do have positive feelings toward the Dubuque area though.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:45 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
The nice weather starts to descend upon IA in mid to late March, April will be nice weather and you will have no bad weather worries besides maybe some rain to deal with. Oh and maybe some tornados if you're really lucky. <-- doubtful but it HAS happened. Welcome to Iowa!!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
And sorry about my first message, I got carried away. My answer led to an off-topic subject. And JASPER HOBBS, stop attacking me, every time I compliment Dubuque, you are ALL OVER IT. I can have my own opinion and you can have yours, the majority of people do have positive feelings toward the Dubuque area though.
Well I appreciate your answer even if it was a little off topic. I don't think there is anything wrong with Dubuque in fact I looked at the school there. I appreciate all of your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa