Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:19 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Oh they have a hs up there now? I thought they were still going to IC West.... they did go to IC West right?
sorry I messed that one up, there is a new JUNIOR high school. Its called North Central. Most, not all NL students go to West High, great school. But a new high school for NL is proposed and will ever likely be built in the next few years as West and City are both at capacity.

And Syko's view of IC isn't even close to being the truth. Sorry but you are just exaggerating completely. IC cops do a great job of keeping students inline (and even take it to extremes). You won't be harassed in IC at night either, another fabrication.

VERY few students live in NL and if they do they are graduate students, NL is working class with some upper class in the out lying areas(some REALLY REALLY upper class, some of the houses out there are nuts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:37 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
sorry I messed that one up, there is a new JUNIOR high school. Its called North Central. Most, not all NL students go to West High, great school. But a new high school for NL is proposed and will ever likely be built in the next few years as West and City are both at capacity.

And Syko's view of IC isn't even close to being the truth. Sorry but you are just exaggerating completely. IC cops do a great job of keeping students inline (and even take it to extremes). You won't be harassed in IC at night either, another fabrication.

VERY few students live in NL and if they do they are graduate students, NL is working class with some upper class in the out lying areas(some REALLY REALLY upper class, some of the houses out there are nuts).
Yea I have trouble believing all of those new homes going up in the area are college kid pads.... oh and based on location, I'm willing to bet that Tiffin will be the next city to do what N. Liberty is doing - I've never actually been over to Tiffin, but I know a few people who lived there and said it was a fairly nice area... plus it's so close to Coralville/North Liberty. Is it starting to grow at a faster clip too?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:50 PM

Tiffin is starting to explode.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 57,160 times
>>>LPerkins33 wrote...
>>>You won't be harassed in IC at night either, another fabrication.

That is NO fabrication. Like I said.. I've been in downtown Iowa City at night more times than I can count. And those drunk college kids are all over down there, especially when it's nice out. Yes you can avoid them.. but go down there often enough, and you will be harrassed. It's only expected because it's a college town. I'm not saying it's crime-ridden.. that's totally different.
But don't respond and say I don't know what I'm talking about, when I do. I've lived there, I've been there many many times, I know how it is. If you like it there, that is fine. I'm just giving you an honest view of that city. To disagree is one thing, to say I'm fabricating things is another and I don't appreciate that.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:20 PM

After re-reading my posts.. I guess I was a little harsh on I.C.
There are a few things I like about I.C., even though I do favor C.R.
Basically they aren't that much different anyway except I.C. has a big college.
I'm not here to make enemies or start wars. It just felt like I was being called a liar, which I am not. Those views were just my opinion.
You'll find good things and bad things about any city or town. And everyone favors one over another.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoByte View Post
After re-reading my posts.. I guess I was a little harsh on I.C.
There are a few things I like about I.C., even though I do favor C.R.
Basically they aren't that much different anyway except I.C. has a big college.
I'm not here to make enemies or start wars. It just felt like I was being called a liar, which I am not. Those views were just my opinion.
You'll find good things and bad things about any city or town. And everyone favors one over another.
I can actually see what you mean SkykoByte, even though I don't think it is like that all over town.

But when I lived in the Cedar Falls area, if you wanted to go walk around downtown on a nice night - you could hardly do it without a bunch of drunk guys with sea-shell necklaces who think they're hot stuff yelling over your way and being "smart-alecks" It definitely got old.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
I can actually see what you mean SkykoByte, even though I don't think it is like that all over town.

But when I lived in the Cedar Falls area, if you wanted to go walk around downtown on a nice night - you could hardly do it without a bunch of drunk guys with sea-shell necklaces who think they're hot stuff yelling over your way and being "smart-alecks" It definitely got old.

Oh yes, the "white hat mafia". Nothing will ruin your night like seeing a party bus of frat boys showing up whereever you're at.

When I used to hang out at Hairy Mary's, sometimes the frat boys would come in cocky, look around and see a bunch of big tattooed dudes giving them disapproving looks and walk right back out. Kind of funny.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoByte View Post
>>>LPerkins33 wrote...
>>>You won't be harassed in IC at night either, another fabrication.

That is NO fabrication. Like I said.. I've been in downtown Iowa City at night more times than I can count. And those drunk college kids are all over down there, especially when it's nice out. Yes you can avoid them.. but go down there often enough, and you will be harrassed. It's only expected because it's a college town. I'm not saying it's crime-ridden.. that's totally different.
But don't respond and say I don't know what I'm talking about, when I do. I've lived there, I've been there many many times, I know how it is. If you like it there, that is fine. I'm just giving you an honest view of that city. To disagree is one thing, to say I'm fabricating things is another and I don't appreciate that.

I've lived here my entire life and have NEVER been harassed. My family has been in IC for going on 40 years and not one of them has ever been harassed. Not a single one of my friends who have also lived here their whole lives have ever been harassed. You must have been doing something because people don't just harass people for no reason in this town.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
I've lived here my entire life and have NEVER been harassed. My family has been in IC for going on 40 years and not one of them has ever been harassed. Not a single one of my friends who have also lived here their whole lives have ever been harassed. You must have been doing something because people don't just harass people for no reason in this town.
You must be living in Iowa City, ND then.. LOL
And I was delivering newspapers, minding my own business, lots of drunks and lots of parties going around.
AND I've seen others get harrassed in downtown I.C. too. College kids love to drink and go out when it's nice weather out. I saw them hanging on traffic poles, fighting, yelling, and just acting like they do. I don't know how you can be oblivious to it.. but I guess you are just lucky. Just take a walk around downtown at 1:00am in May and you will see what I'm talking about. ALSO, all the sexual assaults that have plagued that city in the past couple years is astounding! If you think I'm making that up, then you've done a good job ignoring your local news. I still check the Gazette and KCRG even though I don't live there anymore.
I'm not saying it happens all the time. However it did seem to me that I.C. doesn't have as many students running around as it used to. Maybe that's a reason why it's calmed down. I'm also not saying that all the college kids do that stuff. My dad lives in a nice side of town (the outskirts).. and he never has any problems with the ones that live around him. I'm all for people going to college and all that, I just did not like being downtown late at night in the spring/summer, especially on the weekend nights. Any other time is pretty much fine. If you have a different view, then so be it.. that's wonderful. I'm just glad I don't live there anymore.
Now I'm in St. Louis where there's murders almost every day!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM

681 posts, read 3,036,352 times
What, those dang kids wouldn't get off your yard?

In all seriousness, the OP is moving to a college town. They know that there are often drunk kids in college towns. They're a family with two small kids, so they know better than to be trolling around downtown at 1:00am on a Friday or Saturday night. They really care more about whether the town is livable the other 90% of the time. Which it is.

Also, I don't think it's less college students, I think it's more townies that are starting to demand that the college students settle down a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa