Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 06:28 AM

8 posts, read 9,471 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Cedar Rapids from Gainesville FL next year. Our oldest will be starting high school. so I'm looking at the different schools. I love the older houses that are on the east side and zoned for Washington but it looks like JFK is the better school.

Looking for opinions.

And Dewey59, I'm not a dive bomber. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 06:52 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlmama04 View Post
LOL!

Sorry that I can't answer your question about CR but if you have any questions about the Des Moines area, please ask!

Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 AM

576 posts, read 831,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlmama04 View Post
We will be moving to Cedar Rapids from Gainesville FL next year. Our oldest will be starting high school. so I'm looking at the different schools. I love the older houses that are on the east side and zoned for Washington but it looks like JFK is the better school.

Looking for opinions.

That's hilarious! Glad to hear it!

Yes, you are right, JFK would be a better environment anyway.... not sure about scholastic accomplishments, because I never had kids there. But there are more "undesirable elements" at both Wash and Jeff vs. Kennedy.

If you are willing to get out of the city of CR a little, both Prairie (south of CR) and Lin-Mar (mostly Marion, but does include a small section of NW CR) are good districts with few problems.

Be careful when looking at older houses as for the most part, those older neighborhoods are the bad neighborhoods. Character sometimes comes at a price! There are some older neighborhoods that have nice character in the north part of Marion that might be in Lin-Mar, not sure. Anyway, most of those neighborhoods are ok. And honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Marion Independent school district either. That would be a better choice than either Wash or Jeff in my humble opinion.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the advice. I do plan on doing a little more research. My girls are both straight A students and in advanced programs so we'll take that into consideration as well.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:47 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
I'm a Kennedy graduate (decades ago) and consider my success in life, I totally owe to being a Kennedy Cougar.

J/K!

Old 06-30-2017, 09:50 PM

49 posts, read 57,262 times
Jefferson is awful. Washington is a mix of awful and decent. Marion is awful. Prairie, Kennedy, and Linn Mar are all pretty decent.

Kids from Washington and Jefferson have been involved in shooting in the last couple years. 14 and 15 year old kids shooting each other. I wouldn't send my kids to either school if someone paid me to do it.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 PM

576 posts, read 831,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitae View Post
Jefferson is awful. Washington is a mix of awful and decent. Marion is awful. Prairie, Kennedy, and Linn Mar are all pretty decent.

Kids from Washington and Jefferson have been involved in shooting in the last couple years. 14 and 15 year old kids shooting each other. I wouldn't send my kids to either school if someone paid me to do it.
Since you are calling Jefferson and Marion both awful, does that mean you consider them equal? What is your basis for calling Marion awful? I personally know close to two dozen kids that went to Marion Independent schools and consider all of them (except one) really bright, and well mannered kids.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:15 PM

A school being bad doesn't mean no intelligent or high achieving students ever go there. I myself am a Washington graduate and a doctor, however that achievement is very much in spite of my high school and was not helped by it in any significant way. Of course there are bright students at Marion, there are everywhere, but if you want good information about a district you need to know about broad academic trends and not what a few dozen people are like. The Marion district consistently has low test scores and pulls mainly from low SES neighborhoods which is correlated with lower academic achievement and higher rates of problem behaviors. There is also the ongoing issue with multiple students being sexually abused. I know that is occurring at the elementary school level but the way administration, who is also in charge of the high school, has handled it is literally criminal.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:05 AM

Part of the reason I am looking at Washington is it seems to have more diversity than JFK. We are also looking at Iowa City schools as well. My Brother-in-law will be starting at West high in the fall so we'll see how he likes it.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:48 AM

If you mean racial diversity I would say that's true, but I'm not sure I understand why that is inherently a positive for you. I would encourage you to think of the pros and cons of diversity at the high school level. There are absolutely benefits to broader cultural exposure, but the diversity at Washington will also include exposure to things like gang violence. Only you can decide if these are good or bad, or if the good outweighs the bad. I can tell you I did fairly poorly in terms of academics at Washington and a large part of that was because I did not feel safe there, and it is hard to concentrate on academic achievement if you don't feel safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa