Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 09:43 AM

104 posts, read 338,905 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was curious, if family obligations and/or employment opportunities were not a factor where would you live in Iowa? My husband and I can work remotely so we have a bit more flexibility in our ability to choose a town to relocate to so I'm curious to hear your favorite towns/cities and why.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 10:07 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Interesting question!

1. Decorah - lots of great biking destinations and plenty of beautiful vistas

Decorah, Iowa | Winneshiek County Convention & Visitors Bureau

This is one of these areas where one photo is worth 1,000 words.

2. Near Iowa City (but not in it) - there are some excellent small towns. I like Tiffin a lot.

If I had a long-term medical condition, I'd want to be near the Univ hospitals, plus there's Amish Country, lots of outdoor rec, and all the cultural events that go along with a college community.

Tiffin-Iowa | A Growing Community Under Development

That said, there's a lot to like about Des Moines. If money were no object, and I were working at home, I'd live around one of the rural sections near Saylorville Lake:

https://www.recreation.gov/recreatio...&recAreaId=161

However, since I do have to watch my pennies and work, I found an affordable neighborhood close to my job.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:04 PM

576 posts, read 830,455 times
You really need to provide a lot more detail about what you are looking for to get any kind of meaningful recommendations. But the first question is: Why would you WANT to live in Iowa in the first place? There are much more desirable states in the US to live in than that one!

Old 08-07-2017, 07:58 PM

104 posts, read 338,905 times
Hi, Dewey59.
We are moving back to Iowa to be closer to family who are in Ames and Waterloo and to chill on our cost of living. Denver's traffic, cost of living, keeping up with the Gates, private schools etc. has worn out its welcome for us. We were both born and raised in Iowa so being close to family, a slower pace of life, better schools, less hassle to enjoy the natural resources etc. are the main reasons why we are moving back.

Nothing has to be permanent and for us having our son grow up near his grandparents is very important.

I didn't want to give my wish list to people because I want to hear their favorite places without trying to find a fit for us. We are pretty open as we haven't lived in Iowa for 20 years and really have no idea on how places have changed.

Thanks-Tina

Old 08-07-2017, 09:11 PM

OK, fair enough! I can certainly understand that rationale.

Given your parameters, here's some small towns I like: Anamosa, Hampton, Dysart, Pella, and Decorah.

If you prefer the bigger cities I would vote for Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, and Des Moines.

Nice burbs and nearby small towns to those bigger cities that are nice are for Cedar Rapids: Atkins, Fairfax, Marion and Robins, for Des Moines: West Des Moines, Clive, and Johnston, and for Dubuque: Asbury and Epworth.

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2017, 09:43 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Traveling around Iowa, here's the towns that I would consider if there wasn't a reason to move there like a job or family. These aren't in any particular order.

Anamosa - Good luck finding a prettier town than this. The campus of Cornell is gorgeous. Very unique
downtown.

Winterset - Yea, it's got the bridges which to me is overhyped. What stands out is the downtown area
which is gorgeous (especially the courthouse) and the rest of the town is kept up well.

West Branch & Solon - I put them together as both are very nice towns who's main draw is
easy proximity to all the activity of Iowa City as well as having Cedar Rapids being close.

Glenwood - Gorgeous town nestled in the Loess Hills and less than 20 miles from Omaha/Council
Bluffs.

Spencer - Nice size town that's located within easy driving distance to the Iowa Great Lakes, yet it's far
enough away from all the constant tourist crap.

Pella - Beautifully kept up town with easy 4 lane access to Des Moines. I personally
wouldn't move there because it's too Dutch for me and I AM HALF DUTCH. Still,
it's a lovely community.

Indianola - A fairly large stand alone community only about 10 miles from Des Moines. Lovely little
college town (Simpson College) with everything you need right there. The yearly balloon
festival is something to see.

Le Mars - Very progressive growing community within easy driving distance of both Sioux City and Sioux Falls.

None of the towns on this list are very small on purpose. I'm listing communities that would have basically everything you need right there. Far northeast Iowa towns are not considered since I really haven't traveled there much other than crossing over the Mississippi at Dubuque.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:46 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
[quote=jmgg;49118111]Traveling around Iowa, here's the towns that I would consider if there wasn't a reason to move there like a job or family. These aren't in any particular order.

Anamosa - Good luck finding a prettier town than this. The campus of Cornell is gorgeous. Very unique
downtown.

I think you mean Mount Vernon which is where Cornell College is located. Another perk to Mount Vernon is it's close to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City for great comprehensive medical care.

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/US-...439112123.html

Last edited by smpliving; 08-08-2017 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 08-08-2017, 01:13 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
[quote=ennaf;49119832]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Traveling around Iowa, here's the towns that I would consider if there wasn't a reason to move there like a job or family. These aren't in any particular order.

downtown.

I think you mean Mount Vernon which is where Cornell College is located. Another perk to Mount Vernon is it's close to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City for great comprehensive medical care.

U.S. News ranks UI Health Care among nation's best

OMG YES!!!!!

I don't know why I said Anamosa. It's Mt. Vernon that I'm thinking of.

Thanks for the correction.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:30 PM

Yes, Mt. Vernon. Very nice town.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 AM

215 posts, read 283,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markey View Post
Hi, Dewey59.
We are moving back to Iowa to be closer to family who are in Ames and Waterloo and to chill on our cost of living. Denver's traffic, cost of living, keeping up with the Gates, private schools etc. has worn out its welcome for us. We were both born and raised in Iowa so being close to family, a slower pace of life, better schools, less hassle to enjoy the natural resources etc. are the main reasons why we are moving back.

Thanks-Tina
What about Cedar Falls? If you're familiar with Waterloo, you already know of it. It's gotten very "Yuppified" but still has a lot of nice outdoor and indoor resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa