Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 12:33 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I don't know that I'd qualify rural eastern Iowa as all that red.

This is the 2012 election. Rural Iowa's demographics didn't change much in 4 years. People there just aren't "yellow dogs" the way they are in much of the country. I bet the average rural Iowan living east of Highway 63 has voted for both a Democrat and a Republican to be President.
I've lived almost all my life in either western Illinois or southeast Iowa. Other than Johnson, Linn, and Blackhawk counties, which are heavily influenced by the universities, most people in the eastern part of the state are more red culturally but tend to vote blue due to union influence in an area whose economy has been largely driven by the manufacturing sector. This cycle was largely broken in 2016 as Trump's message of bringing manufacturing jobs back to the US appealed to those folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 12:08 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthenderson View Post
Life long Iowa resident here. As others have said, I would find a job first before moving because places like Dubuque have limited jobs in certain fields and it may take you awhile to break into them.

As for the politics, almost all major urban areas tend to be liberal in their voting records. Look at any election results map by precinct for the state and all the small blue blobs will correspond with an urban area, Dubuque included. All the surrounding rural areas, even in the east side of the state, will be conservative and thus colored red. But just because a place is colored blue or red, doesn't make it a challenge to live in if you vote in the opposite color category. I am a conservative living in a very solid blue urban area and get along just fine.

2016 Election Results Map by Precinct
But how can you find a job before moving? How can anyone afford to fly in over and over for face to face over the span of a month?

Or do people take a month off from current work, and stay in a hotel during?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa