Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 05:50 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times

Advertisements

Another shooting reported yesterday night in Cedar Rapids. The injured victim was taken to the hospital and later released. Also property damage to the home and is a suspected targeted shooting.

https://www.kcrg.com/2022/04/30/ceda...ired-incident/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 05:07 PM

Another shooting over the weekend with gunfire between two vehicles in SW Cedar Rapids ,no injuries reported thankfully.

https://www.kcrg.com/2022/05/02/ceda...bowling-st-sw/

Old 05-07-2022, 06:06 AM

Default Suburb of Cedar Rapids, gunshots

MARION, Iowa (KCRG) - At least one person is in custody at the scene of a large police presence in a Marion apartment complex Friday night.

Police responded to the Azure Apartments, located at 600 Bentley Drive near the intersection of Boyson Road at 10th Street, late Friday night. Few details have been released but several witnesses reported hearing gunshots.
Officials at the scene said one person has been taken into custody and that no injuries have been reported.

https://www.kcrg.com/2022/05/07/larg...tment-complex/

Old 05-07-2022, 07:23 AM

1,211 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
I hear about this time and time again in troubled neighborhoods in Cedar Rapids. People don’t trust the police or judicial system to protect them against retaliation.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) - Court documents say Dimione Walker, who is the second man arrested related to a fatal mass shooting in Cedar Rapids, has already faced years in prison multiple times in the past. The problem, according to Johnson County Attorney Janet Lyness (D), was finding people comfortable with testifying against him in court.

Documents show many charges against Walker were dismissed including charged assault, criminal mischief, and intimidation with a dangerous weapon over the course of several years.

Lyness said potential witnesses were uncooperative with law enforcement because people felt like they were putting themselves at risk. She said it made prosecuting people more difficult and frustrating.

“It’s extremely frustrating as a prosecutor to have people more afraid of a perpetrator than being willing to come forward and put them behind bars when they are extremely dangerous,” Lyness said …

https://www.kcrg.com/2022/04/19/pros...uspect-prison/
That is almost always the case with these perps.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:13 AM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times
This would just be a tuesday afternoon in Chicago!

Old 05-07-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
This would just be a tuesday afternoon in Chicago!
I’m originally from a suburb in the Greater Los Angeles metro so heard about shootings and violence daily. Moved to Cedar Rapids 27 years ago and none of this existed. The last few years there’s been a slow but steady uptake but now it’s unbelievable how bad it’s gotten.

Old 05-08-2022, 08:01 PM

Default Iowa City shooting

At 4:59 p.m., the University of Iowa Department of Public Safety issued a Hawk Alert about the incident, saying that there had been a report of gunshots and a person injured at the Medical Education Building, located on the west side of campus on Newton Road. A later update from police indicated that the incident took place east of the Highway 6 entrance to the VA Hospital.

One person was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound that Iowa City Police officials described as non-life-threatening. https://www.kcrg.com/2022/05/08/univ...n-shot-campus/

Meanwhile, three teens were shot at an after-prom party Saturday night in Des Moines. All three are expected to survive. https://www.kcrg.com/2022/05/08/thre...ty-des-moines/

Old 05-09-2022, 08:01 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Is this thread going to become a constant thing with updates to shootings in urban Iowa on a one by one basis as they occur?
If so, may I suggest that the op should broaden their scope and not just report on shootings that happen in Iowa urban settings but rather also the ones that occur in small town & rural Iowa. Trust, me there have been plenty of them that correspond to the same type of tragic outcomes that such events in urban Iowa bring about.
I find it curious that to this point, there has not been any effort here to catalog the small town/rural Iowa crimes.

Old 05-09-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Is this thread going to become a constant thing with updates to shootings in urban Iowa on a one by one basis as they occur?
If so, may I suggest that the op should broaden their scope and not just report on shootings that happen in Iowa urban settings but rather also the ones that occur in small town & rural Iowa. Trust, me there have been plenty of them that correspond to the same type of tragic outcomes that such events in urban Iowa bring about.
I find it curious that to this point, there has not been any effort here to catalog the small town/rural Iowa crimes.

OP here. Yes I started writing about Cedar Rapids since I’ve lived here for many years and it is a big concern for our residents, lots of talk and fear here with my neighbors. I’ve worked for many years in Iowa City and decided to expand since so many of us live, work and commute within the CR-IC corridor.

Im very aware of rural crimes (shootings and domestic abuse especially with children involved and the rural healthcare crisis overloading UIHC. It certainly isn’t limited to the urban areas.

Today I read a headline about shootings in Mason City over the weekend. Not sure about the specifics on that. I can expand to rural eastern Iowa if the moderator (s) are okay with that. https://www.kimt.com/news/cerro-gord...d477f7ac3.html

Waterloo also had shootings, I believe, over the weekend.

Last edited by smpliving; 05-09-2022 at 01:17 PM..

Old 05-09-2022, 02:49 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Unhappy Cedar Rapids shooting 2 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
OP here. Yes I started writing about Cedar Rapids since I’ve lived here for many years and it is a big concern for our residents, lots of talk and fear here with my neighbors. I’ve worked for many years in Iowa City and decided to expand since so many of us live, work and commute within the CR-IC corridor.

Im very aware of rural crimes (shootings and domestic abuse especially with children involved and the rural healthcare crisis overloading UIHC. It certainly isn’t limited to the urban areas.

Today I read a headline about shootings in Mason City over the weekend. Not sure about the specifics on that. I can expand to rural eastern Iowa if the moderator (s) are okay with that. https://www.kimt.com/news/cerro-gord...d477f7ac3.html

Waterloo also had shootings, I believe, over the weekend.

I'm glad that you didn't take my comments as a flat out criticism as something that should stop.
You sound completely aware of what's going on elsewhere in the state.

***As you mentioned, the moderator could widen your thread coverage away from the Cedar Rapids thread area into a statewide one if you make a request via a DM or via using the FAQ area of the Forum.

As for what people post on the Forum and other online blogs and sites, we have to be careful not only in what we write but also in terms of what we read and then choose to BELIEVE!

A healthy dose of skepticism is best kept sharp and tuned up. Plus, having a strong measure of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY in terms of us VERIFYING something BEFORE WE POST IT (or otherwise share it) is something I believe we all should nurture and practice.
As for example, your reference to Mason City a moment ago reminds me of a post I found here on the Iowa Forum over a dozen years ago. Someone had written that, "Mason City has many murders." or some such equivalent.
Such a statement is of course complete hogwash and I challenged it. Nevertheless, the post remained in place and still exists as a statement. The damage is of course already done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa