Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 05:03 PM

73 posts, read 221,525 times

Advertisements

On Sunday my family drove over from Nebraska and stopped at the dedication ceremony of the 10th anniversary of the Freedom Rock painting near I80 exit 86 on Highway 25 about a mile south of the interstate. This is the 10th year that local artist Ray (Bubba) Sorensen II has painted the rock as a tribute to serviceman and woman. He was 19 when he first did this.

Here is the web site for the Freedom Rock

Freedom*Rock (In Rural Iowa)

And some pictures that I took today of the 2008 version and the dedication

The National Guards Chopper was there, built by Orange County Choppers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 05:04 PM

73 posts, read 221,525 times
The artist

The emotion of it all

Motorcycle procession back to Greenfield after the dedication

You can see the rest of what I took on Flickr if you like.

Freedom Rock 10th Anniversary Dedication - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nebugeater/sets/72157605251502034/ - broken link)

Old 05-26-2008, 05:25 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Thank you for sharing these photos, Nebugeater.

In that first photo at the bottom of the rock, I went to school with the guy depicted with the fake leg. I wasn't really friends (or enemies) with him, but I've been extremely impressed with his attitude towards losing a leg and his work with veterans. That Salute Heroes org also has a guy who was in my unit and wounded on our deployment to Iraq as a spokesperson. Both top notch dudes doing good work with that org. Those guys are true Iowa heroes in our midst.

The Iraqis have never killed a kid from Des Moines' South Side, although they've certainly had plenty of chances. Take that, Ali Baba!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:53 AM

49 posts, read 181,441 times
His work is so inspiring that I hate to see it painted over each year. Lord knows there's enough rocks down there,,,,can't the neighboring farmers supply him with new boulders every year?

Great stuff--I first heard about it through an EM from a friend in California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa