Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 08:49 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

324 Main street.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 10:11 AM

1,854 posts, read 793,265 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2YI...UJZGF2ZW5wb3J0

Pretty sad but I checked out the building on Google Earth Street View after the news came out about it. The foundation was made with rocks, a really old building. Plus the first-floor bricks looked bad, but hopefully, no one died. Not sure if anyone was killed or not but it looks like they are still investigating it.

I just now wonder what is going to be built in place of that building. It was called "The Davenport"; so maybe they rip down the rest of the building and build a huge new taller building.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shhon View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2YI...UJZGF2ZW5wb3J0

Pretty sad but I checked out the building on Google Earth Street View after the news came out about it. The foundation was made with rocks, a really old building. Plus the first-floor bricks looked bad, but hopefully, no one died. Not sure if anyone was killed or not but it looks like they are still investigating it.

I just now wonder what is going to be built in place of that building. It was called "The Davenport"; so maybe they rip down the rest of the building and build a huge new taller building.
If you go to the google earth street view and look up from main street, the entire upper floor has some boarding across the top.

My relative says they knew someone that lived there but moved out about 6 months ago as they felt it was unsafe.

Here's the street view I mentioned. Now granted it's on the OTHER side of the collapsed section and on the taller piece but it shows some issues. (Street view june 2021)

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5232...8192?entry=ttu

Old 05-30-2023, 12:13 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you go to the google earth street view and look up from main street, the entire upper floor has some boarding across the top.

My relative says they knew someone that lived there but moved out about 6 months ago as they felt it was unsafe.

Here's the street view I mentioned. Now granted it's on the OTHER side of the collapsed section and on the taller piece but it shows some issues. (Street view june 2021)

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5232...8192?entry=ttu
Good catch, but I doubt that could have had anything to do with the collapse. That was some type of work on the facade of the building. Probably mostly cosmetic. Whatever caused this was down near the foundation of the building. Also those Streetview images are from almost two years ago. It appears that work was concluded.

But it wouldn't surprise me if it was caused by some type of work being done on the building. These type of collapses are often caused by renovation work. Or it could just be maintenance neglect. Too many issues being ignored for too long, finally resulting in a catastrophic failure. Another possibility might have been a gas explosion. Some of the residents reported hearing and explosion before the collapse.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:05 AM

Looks like they are starting the demolition of the building today. There was a deli on the first floor of the building so hopefully they just build a brand new better taller building. Something similar to the old building but just newer, first floor corner deli plus apartments for 6 or 7 stories.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXmWR3N83u0

Old 05-31-2023, 02:16 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Good catch, but I doubt that could have had anything to do with the collapse. That was some type of work on the facade of the building. Probably mostly cosmetic. Whatever caused this was down near the foundation of the building. Also those Streetview images are from almost two years ago. It appears that work was concluded.

But it wouldn't surprise me if it was caused by some type of work being done on the building. These type of collapses are often caused by renovation work. Or it could just be maintenance neglect. Too many issues being ignored for too long, finally resulting in a catastrophic failure. Another possibility might have been a gas explosion. Some of the residents reported hearing and explosion before the collapse.
I was wrong on that. Apparently the work was still going on and had moved to the part of the building that collapsed. That would seem to be the likely cause. Contributing factor, long history of poor maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZkdQzrli4

Old 05-31-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Looks like they are starting the demolition of the building today. There was a deli on the first floor of the building so hopefully they just build a brand new better taller building. Something similar to the old building but just newer, first floor corner deli plus apartments for 6 or 7 stories.
2 people missing at this point, better than I'd hoped for but still sad.

The problem with building a new building there and all that would be the price point on the rents.

What were the rents like in that building, I see crescent lofts nearby are more like 850+, I'd think that's a few hundred more a month.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
2 people missing at this point, better than I'd hoped for but still sad.

The problem with building a new building there and all that would be the price point on the rents.

What were the rents like in that building, I see crescent lofts nearby are more like 850+, I'd think that's a few hundred more a month.
That is sad that people aren't accounted for yet

Wild how that one lady was grabbed out the window, wonder what took her so long to think 'maybe I should get out since part of the building fell off'

Glad they got her safe though. I have been wondering if people are in the mess on the ground but I think the dogs would have found them if so.

With the rent prices, yeah you're right, they would be way more than previous rents for residents who lived there since it's a brand new building.

Old 06-01-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
That is sad that people aren't accounted for yet

Wild how that one lady was grabbed out the window, wonder what took her so long to think 'maybe I should get out since part of the building fell off'

Glad they got her safe though. I have been wondering if people are in the mess on the ground but I think the dogs would have found them if so.

With the rent prices, yeah you're right, they would be way more than previous rents for residents who lived there since it's a brand new building.
I can't help but think of the FL condo collapse and am grateful all of that didn't just pancake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: