Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 PM

11 posts, read 43,364 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about Sigourney and Keokuk? Impressions, community, weather, schools? I would appreciate more information on this area.
Thanks so much!!

Last edited by R Johnston; 06-21-2008 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnston View Post
What can you tell me about Sigourney and Keokuk? Impressions, community, weather, schools? I would appreciate more information on this area.
Thanks so much!!
I grew up there-from 1st grade thru 10th grade and have all positive memories: Girl Scouts, Town Square, cow pastures, bike-riding, Little League, Dairy Queen...it's Small Town America with the best of the best (and a few of the bad)... Can't go wrong--I'm raising kids in southern california now and totally miss Sigourney.......

Old 09-02-2008, 01:25 PM

26 posts, read 142,858 times
I live close to there, have had friends there. I do not mean to sound critical to disabled people, but there are many, many diabled people there for a town less than 2,000 people! They have a large office for just this purpose (and I have heard, though I can't verify) that many people that are independent living but are not mentally stable enough to handle things are their own are suggested to move there to be closer to the facilities.
It's a tiny town with 3 gas stations, a liquor store and a very high priced tiny grocery store. The nearests towns of any size are 25-30 miles away and those towns are only in the 10,000 people range. It's really in the middle of nowhere, 80 miles from des moines, 50 from Iowa City, 40 from Ottumwa. If you weren't originally from thsi area I wouldn't understand why you would want to move there.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,057 times
Hello I am searching for a Scotty Gene Skeens that was born in keokuk Iowa either in 1976 to 1978, His parents names were Eugene and Jeanette Skeens . If anyone has any information that could help me find him it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 03:39 PM

305 posts, read 539,259 times
Keokuk is in Lee County, not Keokuk County.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 PM

3 posts, read 8,935 times
Just researching and browsing for family history. Is there a researcher in the area that could help? I have families that were in Keokuk, Washington Co. and Sigourney from early 1800, as early as 1830 on some lines, as Hiatt and Anderson, Quakers. Other lines also later on Hiatt, Renfro/Rentfro, last known I believe, in Sigourney when the families moved to Montana early 1900. In Brighton, Washington Co., I have names of interest as Hiatt/Pickens/Eddy/Streeter, etc. Would love to find cousins, families and researcher that may be interested to pick thru data there.
I have a diary of a grandfather that came out of Buffalo, NY to Keokuk, then to Brighton to file a homestead in 1851, Pickens, had a grist mill, saw mill, made bricks, etc. on the Skunk River until after the Civil War when this family departed to Sidney, Fremont Co., Iowa. The diary is very interesting, gives lots of data, names, etc. This is also where the families of Hiatt went thru to go to Peru and Winterset where Jesse Hiatt developed the Delicious Apple, lots of stories and history but like to know more of this area. Daniel Pickens also mentions a river boat he was on that exploded just below Keokuk. ANYONE HAVE IDEAS OF HOW TO FIND INFORMAITON on early families? Larry Anderson, LarryAndy@aol.com

Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
I don't understand the correlation between Sigourney and Keokuk. The two towns are a long distance from each other.

I've been to Sigourney several times to visit a customer I have there and I can tell you it's as cute of town as I've seen. As posted earlier, it's Americana as most of us want to think of it.

I've never been to Keokuk. I've heard from several people that it's a town with "issues". I know that's a vague term, but what I was told about the town wasn't flattering.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:07 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I don't understand the correlation between Sigourney and Keokuk. The two towns are a long distance from each other.
Sigourney is in Keokuk County. I think the OP was wanting to know about Sigourney specifically and Keokuk County overall, not the cities of Sigourney and Keokuk (which is in Lee county, by the way).

Old 01-13-2012, 06:44 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Sigourney is in Keokuk County. I think the OP was wanting to know about Sigourney specifically and Keokuk County overall, not the cities of Sigourney and Keokuk (which is in Lee county, by the way).
Got It

Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 8,935 times
Default Keokuk, Keokuk County, Sigourney?

I am clueless, no idea from this point as to where and what the places are like or where, need to take a trip. Have a very fun diary of Daniel Pickens, from Buffaloe, NY, filed a claim for land in 1851 in Brighton, Washington Co. He talks of the trip, of a boat blowing up and killing quite a few, of another that nearly blew but did not hurt anyone. The families of Pickens and Eddy moved into their homestead, had a grist mill, made bricks, sawed lumber, etc. In the diaries the Eddy family departs to OR to avoid the Civil War, 1863, in departing a large sum of money was buried before leaving, never found, no idea where but must be close to home? Fun treasure hunt someday. Another family of Steven Streeter comes into play by 1864. Also in this area are the Hiatt, Stout, Taylor, etc. families, the Rentfro intermarried, Daniel Pickens family moved out to Sidney, Fremont Co., Iowa while Lucy Jeanette Eddy and Steven Streeter went to Minnisota. The Hiatt and Rentfro familes in Keokuk Co., were there longer, many inter relationships to Centerville, Moravia, etc. and to the Delicious Apple Tree families of Hiatt in Winterset/Peru. Many ties to Iowa need help with, Anderson, Welch, Hiatt, Pickens, Eddy, Scott, etc. have very large data base I have worked on abt 30 years, glad to share, ties to Mayflower, Hugonots, Quakers, early Presbyterian, Dunkards or Primitive Baptist called Penn's Dutchmen, etc. I need help to find families, ties, records and cousins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa