Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 63,461 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry for your friends ... I think Iowa will be affected by the economic slowdown, but probably not hit as hard as other areas of the country. The best job security is in technical and medical fields, so people who are laid off should try to get some training or entry level jobs in those areas. My guess is that by the end of the year things will be picking up. I also think Obama's economic stimulus programs will help create jobs, but it will not be immediate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 52,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmguy30 View Post
Hey...don't forget about Drake University in Des Moines. They offer a great PR program (within the journalism school) as well as advertising. It is a private school, but they are quite generous with financial aid. If you are over 25, you'll be quite surprised with how much it'll cost (it's only costing me $5000 a year...when tuition is $25,000)...and there is no iowa resident requirement.

Wow, tell me more about Drake! I like the sound of their financial aid. I think I'd qualify. I get a lot of money from my current college with plenty of money to spare and it is all grants not loans. Why do you have to be 25 for reduced tuition? I'm nearly 25, but not quite so any exceptions? No residency requirement either at Drake? I never thought of a private school because I heard they were so pricy, but this one sounds good.

Plus my current college budget cuts might mean they get rid of some majors--including mine. I swear the Governor is trying to screw over higher education here. Now we have to protest.

Last edited by SleepingSun; 01-16-2009 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM

267 posts, read 1,231,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingSun View Post
Wow, tell me more about Drake! I like the sound of their financial aid. I think I'd qualify. I get a lot of money from my current college with plenty of money to spare and it is all grants not loans. Why do you have to be 25 for reduced tuition? I'm nearly 25, but not quite so any exceptions? No residency requirement either at Drake? I never thought of a private school because I heard they were so pricy, but this one sounds good.

Plus my current college budget cuts might mean they get rid of some majors--including mine. I swear the Governor is trying to screw over higher education here. Now we have to protest.
Here's Drake's website: Drake University

I'm working on college admissions stuff myself, and I believe the age is actually 24. Once you hit 24, you are legally independent and so your family's income isn't factored into need-based aid, which obviously greatly lowers your expected contribution.

I never thought about private colleges, but that definitely clears up any residency issues, so that might work out well for you. Other private colleges you might consider, if you wouldn't mind a smaller town are: Simpson College, in Indianola: Simpson College - Indianola, Iowa ; and Loras College, in Dubuque: Loras College - Loras Home (which is a Catholic school, but it's an option). Drake is probably the most well-regarded, but I've heard good things about Simpson and Loras too.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:07 AM

8 posts, read 38,188 times
Quote:
Is Iowa a good place to live during this economic crisis?

Just adding that the weather is bitter cold [close to -30] this January. Coming from a warm climate, takes getting used to ... driving cautiously, having great tires and keeping your car in perfect condition is necessary for survival. Coping with ice and snow that just keeps piling up all winter [rarely melts] and not much sunshine can be rough.

There is also the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, a small town with low crime much like living back in the 60s.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:34 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newel View Post

Just adding that the weather is bitter cold [close to -30] this January.
No, it hit -30 one night (maybe two ) in a few areas OVERNIGHT. First time in 10 years it has been that cold. Your comment makes it sound like we live with -30 degree weather all month. Not really helpful for the person asking the question.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:08 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
My niece went to Simpson, graduated 4 yrs. ago stayed in Iowa after school. She was from the Chicago area but she loves Iowa. She currently works in Des Moines and rents a house on the west side not that far from Drake. She studied criminal justice and found a job with no problem.

I think both schools are good choices, and I do know that Simpson works with students in terms of paying for tuition. I really liked Indianola, but then I've become a smaller town person. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 52,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newel View Post

Just adding that the weather is bitter cold [close to -30] this January. Coming from a warm climate, takes getting used to ... driving cautiously, having great tires and keeping your car in perfect condition is necessary for survival. Coping with ice and snow that just keeps piling up all winter [rarely melts] and not much sunshine can be rough.

There is also the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, a small town with low crime much like living back in the 60s.

I think I could handle the cold. I live in Vegas, but I'm not from here. To tell you the truth it is hard to find a lot of people in Vegas who are actually from Vegas. Anyway I use to live in Chicago and Minneapolis. I lived in Vegas only since 2004. I've gotten use to how warm it is here, but I love cold weather. I miss having actual seasons. I definitely miss rain too!

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm currently researching Drake because all the crap going on with my current school. I hate moving, but you never know. What I like about Drake is that they have an early estimator for financial aid. I'm going to send it to them and see can I afford a private college.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:33 PM

44 posts, read 183,302 times
I would recommend that if you move here, don't enroll in school right away. Live here for six months so that you can get resident status for in-state tuition. You will save $$$$. The University of Northern Iowa is a great school in Cedar Falls. The community is friendly and still seems to be prospering in the economy. There are more houses on the market, but I don't think the local market is suffering as much as it is nationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa