Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:48 PM

6 posts, read 11,288 times

Advertisements

Hello. We will be going to Cedar Rapids in May to look for an apartment before moving permanently in July. We are hoping to find out which complexes are better than others and which to avoid entirely. Anywhere in Cedar Rapids.

Thank you.

Edit: Almost forgot! We have to cats so pet friendly is a must.

Last edited by Juliax; 03-04-2014 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention the kitties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 PM

2,020 posts, read 3,196,643 times
I am not very familiar with the apartments here, but this recent link might be helpful. They could probably help you out (the thread is on this page). Good luck!

//www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/...ar-rapids.html

Old 03-04-2014, 05:53 PM

Thank you; I missed that thread entirely!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:43 AM

25 posts, read 41,894 times
Juliax,
Wanted to send you a message but I don't grasp how. Bear with me and I will post here my view on some CR apartments.. I hope I don't insult anyone who may actually live in these places. My criteria is either having lived somewhere or knowing someone who does and - more importantly - awareness of criminal activity of a disturbing amount at a location. This awareness is not subjective. It's from police data.
I'll post shortly when my shift is up.

Last edited by PrairieHawkMom; 03-05-2014 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Evil autocorrect hates abbreviations

Old 03-05-2014, 03:07 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHawkMom View Post
Juliax,
Wanted to send you a message but I don't grasp how. Bear with me and I will post here my view on some CR apartments.. I hope I don't insult anyone who may actually live in these places. My criteria is either having lived somewhere or knowing someone who does and - more importantly - awareness of criminal activity of a disturbing amount at a location. This awareness is not subjective. It's from police data.
I'll post shortly when my shift is up.
Click on her username and in the drop down it will say "send direct message". You can send her a message that way.

I'll put it out there--stay away from Glass Road

Old 03-05-2014, 04:07 PM

25 posts, read 41,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliax View Post
Hello. We will be going to Cedar Rapids in May to look for an apartment before moving permanently in July. We are hoping to find out which complexes are better than others and which to avoid entirely. Anywhere in Cedar Rapids.

Thank you.

Edit: Almost forgot! We have to cats so pet friendly is a must.
Work is unrelenting so I have to come back to this and be more thorough.
Off the top of my head -
As another resident said, avoid Cedarwood Hills on Glass Road. Gang and criminal activity.
Apartments on or directly off of Kirkwood Blvd - avoid. It's not just numerous noise disturbance calls due to college housing. It's drugs up the oomph, stabbings and shootings. You may see apartment rentals on Miller. Not far enough away. On a map go from 33rd to 76th on Bowling / Kirkwood ( name changes near the campus.) Don't rent anywhere along that stretch.
On the opposite end of Bowling, there is a group of apartment on 21st Ave SW.NO!
Westdale and Edgewood apts are also to be avoidex. Edgewood apts are a known drug dealing complex. We can sit outside the buildings and its like shooting fish in a barrel. That prevalent.
Cambridge Townhomes are practically babysat by LEO, that's what a mess that place is.
Raintree apartments have the distinction of requiring the CRPD special response team dispatched. Scratch that from your list.
Gateway Gardens, which offers townhouses as well, has had a decline in criminal activity. They are much smaller than you would imagine however and appear to constantly have a roach problem. Don't put this establishment top of the list.
Though there are some stunning homes in the area, Jacolyn Drive apartments are where you go to die. Let me say in the strongest possible way. Do not rent at those apartments.
Anything in the vicinity of 15th street SE is also dangerous. It would boggle your mind.
There are townhomes on J Street which have such potential structurally. They have a nice three level layout. But you could pretty much surround it with an electric fence and an armed guard in a turret. Look the address up in our police logs. You will not be tempted.
These are the places, off the top of my head, I would state you're wise to avoid. They are well established among LEO as trouble spots. These are the places where a noise complaint gets 2 or sometimes 3 units dispatched because the potential for things to turn ugly is high.
Hope I haven't insulted anyone who occupies these places. There are always good tenants in every complex. I'm giving you the view of those who serve the community and know firsthand the trouble spots.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:57 AM

Thank you a ton for this information. These were places that I was 'eh' about in the first place. You have confirmed my suspicions and I thank you for it!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 AM

We're both college students so we are not looking for top of the line living. I am just worried about safety.

Would these apartment complexes be... Okay?

The Pointe
Grand Ridge
Granite Valley

Old 03-08-2014, 04:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliax View Post
We're both college students so we are not looking for top of the line living. I am just worried about safety.

Would these apartment complexes be... Okay?

The Pointe
Grand Ridge
Granite Valley
The Pointe--no, the other two are perfectly fine and fairly nice apartments for the price.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:52 AM

That's the one my boyfriend wanted, too. He'll be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: