Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 03:20 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,122,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why the Media Doesn’t Tell You the Truth?
The media does tell the truth, but not in a direct way. You have to interpret the media as a whole to get the truth which it will almost accidentally give you. I am not a media anyalyst by trade but I do analyze the media.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 AM

617 posts, read 697,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I live in West Philadelphia, PA and here we have a vibrant, thriving Muslim community. Within a mile of my house there are 2 Masjids (Mosques). Most of the Muslims are immigrants from African or Middle-Eastern countries, but some are native born Americans.

All of the Muslims I know are friendly and law abiding citizens ... and certainly none of them are terrorists as far as I know.

Since I live in a diverse neighborhood ... a neighborhood with a lot Christians of all denominations, a significant number of Jews (there is a synagogue called Kol Tzedek and a Kosher restaurant nearby), Asians who are Buddhists (especially Tibetans in Exile), and much higher percentage of Lesbian and Gay people than average ... and yet we all seem to get along.

The Muslims have opened several really excellent restaurants such as Saad's Halal House (Lebanese .... great felafel!) and Kabobeesh (Pakistani - delicious kabobs, especially the Donner Kabob), a terrific Lebanese bakery, and also a couple of Halal grocery stores.

It is true that the Buddhists are still infuriated at the Taliban for destroying and desecrating the Buddha images at Bamiyan, Afghanistan; and the Jews are anxious about any attempt to destroy the State of Israel and kill all the Jews there ... but in our little local community there seems to be respect for one another and the local Muslims seem to be sensitive to the feelings of their neighbors.

Thank you for sharing your experience

Old 07-01-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
The media does tell the truth, but not in a direct way. You have to interpret the media as a whole to get the truth which it will almost accidentally give you. I am not a media anyalyst by trade but I do analyze the media.

In my opinion, some Western channels are trading with Islam, and Do not give the correct news of Muslim states that launched on the war of America or any Western country

Old 07-01-2011, 11:38 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaam View Post
In my opinion, some Western channels are trading with Islam, and Do not give the correct news of Muslim states that launched on the war of America or any Western country

Weaam,

If you have not watched western media you can only assume but you do not know.

No one of can judge news outlets we do not see.

And what do you mean "trading with Islam"?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Weaam,

If you have not watched western media you can only assume but you do not know.

No one of can judge news outlets we do not see.

And what do you mean "trading with Islam"?

I see CNN, it does not give a good image of Islam or Muslims, Working for the benefit of America and Israel.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaam View Post
I see CNN, it does not give a good image of Islam or Muslims, Working for the benefit of America and Israel.

I avoid CNN and I avoid FOX. If CNN is all you have access to then you do not have a good idea of what the news here is like.

Is that all you have access to?

I would also add that my suspicions are that your news does not give a good image of Americans or the United States based on some of the things you have said on this forum.

It is not working for the benefit of America and Israel. Please can we not start the politics.......

Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
I learned a long time ago that all news is biased as it can only reflect what is seen and heard by the reporter. To have a true picture you need to see the event from all perspectives. I try to encourage people to get their news from as many sources as possible. That way you will have a better approximation as to what the truth is. It can also help if you are multi-lingual.

When I see any world news I try to find reports of it from USA, UK, Saudi, Israel, Iran, Australian and South African sources. If I only have time for one source, I have found the Australian sources to be the least biased.

A good australian Source that I like:

Australian and World News - Main Stories - ninemsn News

Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Granted that the media has its own agendas to propagate. But could you explain how it is that an organization like al Qaeda was formed within the Islamic world? (Whether or not it's actually based in Islam, it certainly does wrap itself in Islam. Is that just a strange coincidence?)

Old 07-01-2011, 03:04 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Granted that the media has its own agendas to propagate. But could you explain how it is that an organization like al Qaeda was formed within the Islamic world? (Whether or not it's actually based in Islam, it certainly does wrap itself in Islam. Is that just a strange coincidence?)
although this will sound like a conspiracy theory, you can check it out fairly easy.

Al-Qaeda was founded by Bin Laden in 1988. The purpose was to train soldiers to fight the Russians trying to occupy Afghanistan. to a large extent it was funded by the USA.

Initially it was only located in Afghanistan. But the name has now been applied by the media as meaning any Terroristic group that is in any way connected to Muslims. It does not seem to be any specific group or under any central leadership. It is like any anti-American group from any back ground is now inheriting the name.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
although this will sound like a conspiracy theory, you can check it out fairly easy.

Al-Qaeda was founded by Bin Laden in 1988. The purpose was to train soldiers to fight the Russians trying to occupy Afghanistan. to a large extent it was funded by the USA.

Initially it was only located in Afghanistan. But the name has now been applied by the media as meaning any Terroristic group that is in any way connected to Muslims. It does not seem to be any specific group or under any central leadership. It is like any anti-American group from any back ground is now inheriting the name.

I would disagree with you about all groups being called Al-Qaeda by the US. Every news cast I see is very hesitant to tie anything to this group unless it shows the signs of being from this group or this group takes responsibility for it.

This group has been very willing to take responsibility for attacks and those acting either on its behalf or in its name have been very willing to say so.

We are very aware that there are many different Muslim terrorist groups.

As to the mujahadin, yes my country gave them arms and Bin Laden was fighting the Russians.

I suppose it was seen as a good thing at the time, but now its not. Personally my thoughts are we should have stayed the heck out of it altogether but we did not want to see the Russians take Afghanistan, so we funded and aided the mujahadin.

Now our help of the mujahadin came back to bite us in the butt so to speak.

Personally the fact that there is a list this long is really scary....

Current List of Designated Foreign Terrorist Organizations

Abu Nidal Organization (ANO)
Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG)
Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade (AAMS)
Al-Shabaab
Ansar al-Islam (AAI)
Asbat al-Ansar
Aum Shinrikyo (AUM)
Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA)
Communist Party of the Philippines/New People's Army (CPP/NPA)
Continuity Irish Republican Army (CIRA)
Gama’a al-Islamiyya (Islamic Group)
HAMAS (Islamic Resistance Movement)
Harakat ul-Jihad-i-Islami/Bangladesh (HUJI-B)
Harakat ul-Mujahidin (HUM)
Hizballah (Party of God)
Islamic Jihad Union (IJU)
Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU)
Jaish-e-Mohammed (JEM) (Army of Mohammed)
Jemaah Islamiya organization (JI)
Kahane Chai (Kach)
Kata'ib Hizballah (KH)
Kongra-Gel (KGK, formerly Kurdistan Workers' Party, PKK, KADEK)
Lashkar-e Tayyiba (LT) (Army of the Righteous)
Lashkar i Jhangvi (LJ)
Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)
Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG)
Moroccan Islamic Combatant Group (GICM)
Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization (MEK)
National Liberation Army (ELN)
Palestine Liberation Front (PLF)
Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ)
Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP)
PFLP-General Command (PFLP-GC)
al-Qaida in Iraq (AQI)
al-Qa’ida (AQ)
al-Qa'ida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP)
al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb (formerly GSPC)
Real IRA (RIRA)
Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC)
Revolutionary Organization 17 November (17N)
Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party/Front (DHKP/C)
Revolutionary Struggle (RS)
Shining Path (Sendero Luminoso, SL)
United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia (AUC)
Harakat-ul Jihad Islami (HUJI)
Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP)
Jundallah
Army of Islam (AOI)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam