Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times

Advertisements

There are 2 words that translate into English as prayer those being Salat and Du'a. this does cause confusion for non-Muslims as many only see Salat and are under the impression we only pray 5 times a day in Arabic, at specific times.

Du'a is much closer to what non-Muslims call prayers. A Muslim is to pray before starting and when ending any action or thought. We are to strive to make all we do a prayer. Du'as are our personal conversations with Allaah(swt) and may be said in our own words aloud or quietly in thought. There are numerous books of Du'a, we seem to have at least one Du'a for every purpose imaginable.

Some are very short, some are very long. We are not limited to those found in books we can use our own words

This thread is for listing our favorite Du'a. Please list any you can think of. If you write it in Arabic be certain to give the English Translation.

Some of my favorites

Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem--In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Most Merciful

Which I say before starting anything.Which serves to remind me to do things with the intent of doing them to please God.

Another I use very often is Astagfirullah--May Allah forgive me if I am in error.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
This one is Sunnah and was often said by Muhammad(PBUH)

Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa ant, Khalaqtani wa ana abduka, wa ana 'ala 'ahdika wa wa'dika mastata't, A'udhu bika min Sharri ma sana't, abu'u Laka bini'matika 'alaiya, wa Abu Laka bidhanbi faghfirli fa innahu la yaghfiru adhunuba illa ant

‘O Allaah, You are my Lord, none has the right to be worshipped except You, You created me and I am You servant and I abide to Your covenant and promise as best I can, I take refuge in You from the evil of which I committed. I acknowledge Your favour upon me and I acknowledge my sin, so forgive me, for verily none can forgive sin except You.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:38 AM

20 posts, read 13,998 times
It is the wish of every Muslim to lead live according to the commandments of Allah as much as he can and to achieve salvation. Both these purposes can be achieved by performing daily Islamic prayers on their respective times. All the prayers contain numerous rewards and blessings of Almighty.[Bhttp://prayertimes.dawateislami.net
[/b]

Old 07-24-2019, 12:42 AM

282 posts, read 298,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There are 2 words that translate into English as prayer those being Salat and Du'a. this does cause confusion for non-Muslims as many only see Salat and are under the impression we only pray 5 times a day in Arabic, at specific times.

Du'a is much closer to what non-Muslims call prayers. A Muslim is to pray before starting and when ending any action or thought. We are to strive to make all we do a prayer. Du'as are our personal conversations with Allaah(swt) and may be said in our own words aloud or quietly in thought. There are numerous books of Du'a, we seem to have at least one Du'a for every purpose imaginable.

Some are very short, some are very long. We are not limited to those found in books we can use our own words

This thread is for listing our favorite Du'a. Please list any you can think of. If you write it in Arabic be certain to give the English Translation.

Some of my favorites

Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem--In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Most Merciful

Which I say before starting anything.Which serves to remind me to do things with the intent of doing them to please God.

Another I use very often is Astagfirullah--May Allah forgive me if I am in error.

You are right brother

Prayer in English expresses the little word a Christian used to say on a specific times ( food or hardship.. etc)

These little words are called Du'a OR Supplication in Muslim Culture.

So prayer doesn't reflect the right action here.

Prayer in Christianity is just words used to glorify God. Christians doesn't have a soecific movements that have religious limitations (what to do or how to do).. I think Christians may have services performed at churches instead.

Muslims' prayers is a specific movements done at specific times with a specific form.

It should be done in one shape same movements wither in China, Pakistan, Egypt or in Brazil.

You should recite the opening Chapter ( Al Fateha) in Arabic as much as you can even if you're non Arab.

This is the prayer in Muslim culture, and surely it is not what English speaker understands from this word literally.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:33 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resigned View Post
You are right brother

Prayer in English expresses the little word a Christian used to say on a specific times ( food or hardship.. etc)

These little words are called Du'a OR Supplication in Muslim Culture.

So prayer doesn't reflect the right action here.

Prayer in Christianity is just words used to glorify God. Christians doesn't have a soecific movements that have religious limitations (what to do or how to do).. I think Christians may have services performed at churches instead.

Muslims' prayers is a specific movements done at specific times with a specific form.

It should be done in one shape same movements wither in China, Pakistan, Egypt or in Brazil.

You should recite the opening Chapter ( Al Fateha) in Arabic as much as you can even if you're non Arab.

This is the prayer in Muslim culture, and surely it is not what English speaker understands from this word literally.
There seem to be some odd misunderstandings on your part there, although I am not quite clear about what you are trying to say in the underlined part.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There seem to be some odd misunderstandings on your part there, although I am not quite clear about what you are trying to say in the underlined part.
Thank you for your addition here, guessing if Woodrow is around, he would correct me or explain my idea better.

Okay Mightyqueen, if my idea is not clear or wrong, I will try to make it easy for everyone reading this thread by making a comparison between [ Muslim Prayer] & [Christian Prayer].

first let me begin with Muslim Prayer and I am Muslim living in Arabia, I mean we're Muslims since hundreds of years.

1- Muslim prayer is a sort of worship or duty that Muslims consider it the second pillar of Islam and those who deny this (prayer) are considered non Muslim.

2- Muslim should make ablution before they perform any prayer.

3- To do prayer like Muslims you must do it in a specific times (5 times a day) according to a specific movement.

Now let me again tell you my idea about hoe christian pray, and I expect you correct me if I am wrong!

1- Christians' prayer is not a pillar or basic component in Christian religion.. I mean any Christian will be still considered as a Christian evev if he/she does not pray!

2- Chistian Prayer is just words to be said on different occasions, they (the Christians) pray for having a bread on table, feeling troubled or alike.

3- there is no specific rules to be maintained if any Christian wants to pray.. If there some pls let me know or correct me if It's needed.

tnx

Old 07-27-2019, 10:59 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resigned View Post
Thank you for your addition here, guessing if Woodrow is around, he would correct me or explain my idea better.

Okay Mightyqueen, if my idea is not clear or wrong, I will try to make it easy for everyone reading this thread by making a comparison between [ Muslim Prayer] & [Christian Prayer].

first let me begin with Muslim Prayer and I am Muslim living in Arabia, I mean we're Muslims since hundreds of years.

1- Muslim prayer is a sort of worship or duty that Muslims consider it the second pillar of Islam and those who deny this (prayer) are considered non Muslim.

2- Muslim should make ablution before they perform any prayer.

3- To do prayer like Muslims you must do it in a specific times (5 times a day) according to a specific movement.

Now let me again tell you my idea about hoe christian pray, and I expect you correct me if I am wrong!

1- Christians' prayer is not a pillar or basic component in Christian religion.. I mean any Christian will be still considered as a Christian even if he/she does not pray!

2- Chistian Prayer is just words to be said on different occasions, they (the Christians) pray for having a bread on table, feeling troubled or alike.

3- there is no specific rules to be maintained if any Christian wants to pray.. If there some pls let me know or correct me if It's needed.

tnx
Thank you for responding to clarify.

1. Prayer is most definitely a basic component in the Christian religion. It is the most important thing a Christian does, whether they attend a church or not. I cannot imagine that there is any Christian out there who does not pray, and I find it a bit odd that you would even think that's not the case, but that's why we are here, right? To learn.

2. Not sure what you mean by "just words". To a Christian, prayer means speaking to God. One of the Christian scriptures (written by Paul, who established many of the formal rules for the early church) says, "Pray without ceasing". Of course, that is not literally possible, but the meaning is that we should always pray and be in mind of God in everything that we do. Prayers can be for help, to praise God, to thank God, to ask to be a better person/increase one's faith, etc.

Jesus (Isa to you) specifically taught his followers that they should pray the following prayer, known as The Lord's Prayer. It is therefore of course the one prayer that most Christians probably say more than any other:

Our Father who is in Heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name
They kingdom come
Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil,
For Thine is the Kingdom, the Power, and the Glory forever and ever, Amen.

Jesus also taught that when one speaks to God (prays) he or she should not do it in public to impress other people but go into a quiet place alone, and God will hear you.

There are other prayers that are said regularly either in corporate worship or as individuals, and Christians are not forbidden to pray in their own words.

There is also a practice called Centering Prayer, which is based on the idea that "The first language of God is Silence". People pray either alone or together, sitting in silence for a time and ignoring all thoughts that may come. Not all churches use this practice.

3. Not the same way there is in Islam, where there are rules to pray at certain times of day and to be prone and touch the forehead to the ground. Interestingly, the Islam posture of praying that way was originally Christian, but Islam adopted it and Christianity left it behind. I do know someone who prays that way, though. Some churches require kneeling to pray, and some people kneel to pray on their own. Similarly, many people set aside a certain time of day for prayer.

Also, you should know that our Woodrow is in his last days. He told us last year of his terminal illness, and he hoped that he would see Ramadan this year, and he did. He was well respected by many here, Muslim, Christian, Jew, and non-believers alike.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-27-2019 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-28-2019, 06:23 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
it is with great regret that I have to inform everyone that my brother Woodrow has crossed over and is now residing in the other world with his Creator. I was informed on my Facebook page by one of his daughters of his passing and I understand that his passing was very gentle.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
it is with great regret that I have to inform everyone that my brother Woodrow has crossed over and is now residing in the other world with his Creator. I was informed on my Facebook page by one of his daughters of his passing and I understand that his passing was very gentle.
I am very sorry to hear this. He was a real benefit to the forums here, a man who did his best to promote understanding.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Very saddened to hear this , my condolences goes for his family,, May Allah bless his soul.

I felt that something wrong with our brother woodrow when he didn't comment !

I will pray for him.. And won't forget his kind words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam