Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 PM

87 posts, read 122,102 times

Advertisements

What is the Islamic community doing to separate themselves from Islamic extremist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatchick118 View Post
What is the Islamic community doing to separate themselves from Islamic extremist?
To begin with there is no Central Islamic Community. We are quite diverse. There are numerous communities in which the majority of the people are Muslims. but even within those you will find differences. No person represents or speaks for Islam we each speak for and represent only our self.

I live in a predominately Native American community. Although my nearest neighbors are Lutherans and Methodists. Like most Muslims living in the US the majority of the people I know are Christians.

As far as I know there are no Islamic extremists living in North Dakota. Most of us are just typical farm folks or old retired people like me.

Very few Muslims in the US will ever come in contact with an Islamic extremist.

The question does not make much sense to most of us as the majority of us have never seen an extremist and probably never will.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:40 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
To begin with there is no Central Islamic Community. We are quite diverse. There are numerous communities in which the majority of the people are Muslims. but even within those you will find differences. No person represents or speaks for Islam we each speak for and represent only our self.

I live in a predominately Native American community. Although my nearest neighbors are Lutherans and Methodists. Like most Muslims living in the US the majority of the people I know are Christians.

As far as I know there are no Islamic extremists living in North Dakota. Most of us are just typical farm folks or old retired people like me.

The question does not make much sense to most of us as the majority of us have never seen an extremist and probably never will.
except through Islamic schools sponsored by the Saudi Arabian government ruled by Sharia Law

MOD NOTE:
My error. I had intended to reply and did not realize I had clicked edit instead of quote. L JUST BECAME AWARE OF MY ERROR TODAY 5-5-14 The below was my reply to victemofGM's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
except through Islamic schools sponsored by the Saudi Arabian government ruled by Sharia Law
Do you know of any? It is dang near impossible for anyone to get any financial aide from Saudi to start a Mosque or Madrassa (School) I can not say with certainty there are not any in the US but I have not seen or heard of any.

Virtually every Mosque and Madrassa in the USA is locally financed with no help from anyone outside the local community. In many cases financed fully by the Imam.

If you know of any in the USA financed by Saudi, please let me know. I'd like to know how they managed to get any money out of the al-Saud Family.

The majority of Muslims in the USA are not Arab and have no contact with Saudi Arabia. Most Arabs in the US are Christians not Muslims. Dearborn Michigan is the only spot in the USA where you have a large Arabic Muslim population, but from what I understand most are Shi'ite which is pretty much an enemy of Saudi.

mod note:I DEEPLY APOLOGIZE FOR ANY CONFUSION MY ERROR CAUSED

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 05-05-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-07-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:

You kind of didn't read my question well. I know that most people have never seen an extremist. Christians have extremist( the westboro church) who protest funerals if the person lived a gay lifestyle. I think all extremist make it difficult for new people to connect to their religion. Are you telling me that most islamic people turn a blind eye to extremist? Pretend that they aren't there? You don't think they should respectively be dealt with?That's true that no one person speaks for a religion but it does hurt the culture when trying to bridge the gap with others. All extremist hurt their respective religion.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
You kind of didn't read my question well. I know that most people have never seen an extremist. Christians have extremist( the westboro church) who protest funerals if the person lived a gay lifestyle. I think all extremist make it difficult for new people to connect to their religion. Are you telling me that most islamic people turn a blind eye to extremist? Pretend that they aren't there? You don't think they should respectively be dealt with?That's true that no one person speaks for a religion but it does hurt the culture when trying to bridge the gap with others. All extremist hurt their respective religion.
Have you personally seen any Islamic extremists in the USA? Can you name one living American Muslim that is labelled an extremist or know of even one American Mosque that has an extremist label?

Muslims do not tithe. Frankly I have not found any Muslim Extremists here. they will not get any support. You have to be quite wealthy in the USA to be able to open a Mosque, few extremists would meet that criteria.

As for on a world wide basis not just American Muslims but Muslims world wide constantly reject the extremists.

For example:

HERE

We do not join or belong to Mosques like Christians join churches, the Mosque and the Imam has no control over the community.

We are not centrally directed by any central earthly leadership. we don't even have ordained clergy. Very few if any American Muslims would ever go back to a Mosque if the Imam gave a radical extremist sermon on the Friday Jummah. (Except for Friday Jummah there usually is no sermon at a Mosque.)

Old 02-07-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Have you personally seen any Islamic extremists in the USA? Can you name one living American Muslim that is labelled an extremist or know of even one American Mosque that has an extremist label?

Muslims do not tithe. Frankly I have not found any Muslim Extremists here. they will not get any support. You have to be quite wealthy in the USA to be able to open a Mosque, few extremists would meet that criteria.

As for on a world wide basis not just American Muslims but Muslims world wide constantly reject the extremists.

For example:

HERE

We do not join or belong to Mosques like Christians join churches, the Mosque and the Imam has no control over the community.

We are not centrally directed by any central earthly leadership. we don't even have ordained clergy. Very few if any American Muslims would ever go back to a Mosque if the Imam gave a radical extremist sermon on the Friday Jummah. (Except for Friday Jummah there usually is no sermon at a Mosque.)

Thanks for the example and insight. I don't know to much about this religion even though half of my family is muslim(african Muslims). I was just to curious to know how Muslims feel about the extremist and if they are doing anything about them.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:39 AM

64 posts, read 88,835 times
Quote:
Probably you're another brainwashed Usa citizen. What is islamic extremist ? Can you give some examples ?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the example and insight. I don't know to much about this religion even though half of my family is muslim(african Muslims). I was just to curious to know how Muslims feel about the extremist and if they are doing anything about them.
Most African Muslims in the USA are actually NOI (Nation of Islam) which is a fairly recent Religion formed in the 1930s by Elijah Poole later known as Elijah Muhammad. While the NOI do believe they are Muslims they have little connection to Islam, but many NOI do convert to Islam when they try to do the Hajj to Mecca.

There is a lot of separation between Islam and NOI not just the NOI extremists but all NOI members as they are not believed to be Muslims by Sunni, Shi'a, Sufi or Ahmadiyya

World wide there is very much condemnation of the Extremists by Muslims. But the media very seldom reports it.

Few condemnations of extremists make world-wide media news. Not even an event as large as this: (Click on it for the full story)

A conference attended by thousands of Muslim clerics, scholars and community leaders in India has endorsed a religious ruling against terrorism.

But let a Muslim even shout at somebody it suddenly becomes a world wide story of Islamic extremism.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:54 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
It seems to me that Saudi Arabia is the main location for extremism in the Arab world due to their acceptance of Wahhabism, correct?

Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
It seems to me that Saudi Arabia is the main location for extremism in the Arab world due to their acceptance of Wahhabism, correct?
I believe you will find many non-Arab Muslims will agree with you. You will find that typically they blame the al-Saud family for financing wahabbi'ism, rather than the entire Arab population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam