Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:53 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

As a Canadian, the last few days of Islamic terrorism actions strike home. Targeted, religiously motivated terrorism. In my country.

And once again, the denunciation from Muslim leaders is deafening in their silence. This is a pattern that occurs so frequently that it is absolutely madding to those of us who want to believe that the greater majority of Muslims are opposed to these incidences, but all one hears is crickets.

Why is that? Is it the same concept of when there is police malfeasance, the "solid blue line" syndrome kicks in? Is there a fear factor?

Patience is wearing thin among those who would rather be inclusive. What happens then? Profiling certainly becomes more prevalent. Innocent Muslims will be viewed as suspicious, even if all they want to do is live in peace.

The Muslim community MUST step up and speak out. Even on this board, there has been no mention of the tragedy that occurred yesterday and two days ago.

Those of you who are Muslim need to understand that the more these events occur, and the more continued silence there is, the more prejudicial actions, both secular and political, will occur. Peoples patience is running out, mine included.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 AM

26 posts, read 22,374 times
Well, Canada has been at war with Islamists for more than a decade (and just recently against the ISIS). What did you expect?

I also don't see how it's terrorism. The targets were politicians/soldiers, if I am not mistaken.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippa View Post
Well, Canada has been at war with Islamists for more than a decade (and just recently against the ISIS). What did you expect?

I also don't see how it's terrorism. The targets were politicians/soldiers, if I am not mistaken.
Really? It matters what the target is? Really?

If your Muslim, then you are part of the problem making excuses. And are epitomizing the concern expressed.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:31 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
Cupper 3.

If you took about 30 seconds, and did a basic search on Google, you would find that Canadian Muslims, right across the country HAVE been denouncing this series of attacks.

links. Canadian Muslims categorically and unequivocally condemn terror attacks on Parliament Hill in Ottawa | Vancouver Observer

links. Canadian Muslim group calls Ottawa attacks ‘repulsive’ | Toronto Star

Links . Stephen Harper, opposition condemn 'act of hatred' | Ottawa Attack | Canada | Ne

That took me about two minutes to find and post here.

And, while we are talking.............I will point out that BOTH of the killers were BORN IN CANADA.

The one in Quebec converted a year ago, and the RCMP took his passport, so he couldn't leave the country. The other one in Ottawa was a small time drug dealer and petty criminal. His Father came to Canada from the middle east, 40 years ago.

So, given that information, are you willing to back off of your statement ? Or are you too devoted to "being right " ?

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Really? It matters what the target is? Really?

If your Muslim, then you are part of the problem making excuses. And are epitomizing the concern expressed.
Yes, it matters. Canada is at war with Islamists; the former takes out both political and military targets, does it not?

Apparently, Westerners think war should only be conducted in far, far away lands.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Cupper 3.

If you took about 30 seconds, and did a basic search on Google, you would find that Canadian Muslims, right across the country HAVE been denouncing this series of attacks.

links. Canadian Muslims categorically and unequivocally condemn terror attacks on Parliament Hill in Ottawa | Vancouver Observer
Ahmadi Muslims are hardly mainstream. It's like saying that Amish are mainstream Christians. Ahmadis are often targeted by other Muslim groups as being heretical.

Sorry, the Star wants me to pay a subscription so I can't read the article. If you can point me to which group, I would gladly search to see their statement elsewhere.

There is nothing in that article I saw that discusses any Muslim group expressing condemnation or concern.

Quote:
That took me about two minutes to find and post here.
One I can't read (sorry), one is by a small, splinter group, and the other doesn't say anything about it. I have seen NOTHING on TV. Heard NOTHING on radio. Not even anything on Twitter.

Quote:
And, while we are talking.............I will point out that BOTH of the killers were BORN IN CANADA.
So. What's your point? They were radicalized Muslims. I don't care where they come from, I care what happens here. I know Muslims who are horrified by this, but they will speak to me about it, but not out loud in public. Why? I suspect we both know the answer.

Quote:
So, given that information, are you willing to back off of your statement ? Or are you too devoted to "being right " ?

Jim B. In Toronto.
Nope, not backing off as you have shown me nothing (with the possible exception of the Star whose article I could not read).

Where is the rush to condemnation on national TV? Twitter? Radio talk shows? Ads in the media? Where is the proactive rapid and sustained denouncing of these events? They don't exist, do they?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, it matters. Canada is at war with Islamists; the former takes out both political and military targets, does it not?

Apparently, Westerners think war should only be conducted in far, far away lands.
So you support these terrorist attacks or not?

Old 10-23-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So you support these terrorist attacks or not?
I have no dog in this fight. I was merely interested in pointing out the hypocrisy. According to you, it's fine (perhaps a duty) for the West to kill commanders and political figures who belong to ISIS and the like. But not the other way around, even though this IS war.

Can you explain this to me, or are you just going to go down the route I expect you to take?

Old 10-23-2014, 03:41 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,430,082 times
Islam declared war on the rest of the world about 1200 years ago, granted, it was their known world at the time, but it has since gone into all.

To go against Jihad is basically to become an apostate, and you may be targeted.

Usually the only outspoken voices you will hear, is when it goes against them.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I have no dog in this fight. I was merely interested in pointing out the hypocrisy. According to you, it's fine (perhaps a duty) for the West to kill commanders and political figures who belong to ISIS and the like. But not the other way around, even though this IS war.

Can you explain this to me, or are you just going to go down the route I expect you to take?
You see no difference in targeting known terrorist who are committing horrible atrocities and duly elected officials (and an innocent honor guard standing at a national monument to fallen soldiers)?

If you don't see the difference, then the world is indeed a sad place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam