Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 08:29 PM

781 posts, read 737,132 times

Advertisements

Probably seems that way to you because of confirmation bias.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:40 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,896,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
When on Lthuanian forums I brag about my fellow Lietuva Lipkas.

I also have been known to brag about my fellow Americans.
To be honest, I just don't get it. What is the purpose for all this bragging?

I mean, every group has some good people and some bad people. So why do you want to brag about the people from your group?

Usually when people brag about their own group it is because they think their group is better than others.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,647,657 times
Because the religion essentially straight-jacketed the believers into a state of very Low self-esteem.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Because the religion essentially straight-jacketed the believers into a state of very Low self-esteem.
Maybe so. I guess it is hard for us to understand how Fundies think. For some reason, religious people fascinate me, even though I am an Atheist.

It seems that Fundies really need to believe that their religion is absolutely correct and that it gives them all of the answers in life. I recall riding home from work with a Fundie and discussing his beliefs about evolution, and he said he "knows" his beliefs are correct. I thought that was interesting because, while I believe my theories about evolution are correct, I would never say I "know" they are correct.

Maybe believing their religious beliefs are absolutely correct is what leads some people to brag so much.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:34 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Maybe so. I guess it is hard for us to understand how Fundies think. For some reason, religious people fascinate me, even though I am an Atheist.

It seems that Fundies really need to believe that their religion is absolutely correct and that it gives them all of the answers in life. I recall riding home from work with a Fundie and discussing his beliefs about evolution, and he said he "knows" his beliefs are correct. I thought that was interesting because, while I believe my theories about evolution are correct, I would never say I "know" they are correct.

Maybe believing their religious beliefs are absolutely correct is what leads some people to brag so much.
Perhaps because this is the Islamic forum. An important purpose of this forum (in my opinion) is to stress and show why us Muslims are Muslim and believe Islam is the proper method of worshiping Allah(swt).

It would be against forum rules and my own standards for me to do so on any other Forum. But here I feel it is not only justified, but an obligation to attempt to show why I as a Muslim love Islam and to explain what I believe Islam to be.

You will not find me posting my views of Islam in any other forum, unless it is to correct what I perceive as an erroneous representation of Islam in the "Religion/Spirituality forum.

I believe that most non-Muslims that visit this forum do so for the purpose of reading a Muslim's viewpoint and/or why they are Muslim.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:51 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I regularly find your posts jolt me out of the rather prevalent views about Islam. Regrettably you are about the only Muslim that does.
I hope you get the opportunity to meet a wider spectrum of Muslim people!

Not Muslim myself, I grew up with some degree of ignorance and stereotypes. Nowadays I work with and meet quite a lot of Muslims

Being female, I generally speak more often and comfortably with the women.

What I find is that they are surrounded and supported by a community with high values ( uplifted, rather than forced), and are free from feeling somehow obligated to indulge in a lot of unwholesome behaviour. They are guided through a clear and practical life plan of education first, marriage later. No dating, no goofy indulgences in potentially dangerous activities like drugs or promiscuous relationships.

And they don't feel "left out" or "missing out"! They know they are on a healthy trajectory to success.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Muslim women are blessed with an amazing level of intelligence as are East Indian women.
Isn't that true of all women in the world, or is there a racial or ethnic or religious group of women that are not blessed "with an amazing level of intelligence"?

Old 10-25-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Isn't that true of all women in the world, or is there a racial or ethnic or religious group of women that are not blessed "with an amazing level of intelligence"?
Keep in mind "Openmike" is not Muslim. He is not giving an Islamic viewpoint. Although I do agree with him as nearly every Muslim woman I know has a Doctorate.

But out of fairness I only know perhaps 10-20 Muslim women and most of them had been my doctors at the VA.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Keep in mind "Openmike" is not Muslim. He is not giving an Islamic viewpoint. Although I do agree with him
Since you agree with Openmike, do you care to address the question I posed to him?

Old 10-25-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
There are intelligent women in every segment. I think at the present time Intelligent Muslim women, expecially from the Mideast are more noticed in the Western world because it is unexpected. Many people seem to be under the impression that Muslims are all from third world, undeveloped nations with no opportunity for advancement.

Also many people seem to believe Muslim women are not permitted to get an education. But the fact is all Muslims, including women are obligated to obtain as much education as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam