Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times

Advertisements

I mean a lot of women love to travel, yet it seems the general US/ city vs city boards that discuss geography.etc are dominated by males. While I'd expect it to be more men, it seems the ratio is something like 1 to 10. Whereas go to the relationship board it's more like 50/50. Why aren't more women as into discussing geography/cities.etc in depth as men are? Is there something in the 'typical female brain' that finds it uninteresting, or is it because it's seen as a 'nerdy male interest'? I'd love to meet some gals who are into this kinda stuff lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Because for a lot of 'men' on this sub forum threads turn into pissing contests over stupid stuff. Gets old/boring real fast.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Guys are more interested in
-wanderlust
-urban planning
-geography
-moving for the purpose of finding themselves (IMO)

For instance, my wife would move anywhere I asked her to. I think that's great!

Old 01-08-2014, 10:50 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
How do you know which gender is posting?

For example, I've discovered many readers on CD think that I'm male. Yet I'm a nice middle aged lady! (Well, sometimes I'm nice.)

So maybe your perceptions about the gender of posters are wrong.

I love geography. Nearly 40 years ago I decided not to major in the subject in college, and I regret it now.

I don't post in city v city because I'm a rural person, and although I've lived in many different cities, right now urban issues bore the shtuff out of me.

A gender stereotype that might answer your question, though, is that women are more interested in human emotions and relationships while men are more interested in statistics and problem solving. I don't know that this is true, but I think it's a generally accepted belief.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,527,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Because for a lot of 'men' on this sub forum threads turn into pissing contests over stupid stuff. Gets old/boring real fast.
I'm a woman, and this is why I don't post as much on the national forums. Take that development or projects thread recently - that was so ridiculous that it felt pretty pointless to even contribute. It read like a pissing match between Washington DC, SF and NYC. I post more on my local forums.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
How do you know which gender is posting?

For example, I've discovered many readers on CD think that I'm male. Yet I'm a nice middle aged lady! (Well, sometimes I'm nice.)

So maybe your perceptions about the gender of posters are wrong.

I love geography. Nearly 40 years ago I decided not to major in the subject in college, and I regret it now.

I don't post in city v city because I'm a rural person, and although I've lived in many different cities, right now urban issues bore the shtuff out of me.

A gender stereotype that might answer your question, though, is that women are more interested in human emotions and relationships while men are more interested in statistics and problem solving. I don't know that this is true, but I think it's a generally accepted belief.
There's a tiny icon of a person under your username - if you selected female in your profile it has long hair. Of course that's not always a sure-fire guide. But other than that, it's just what I've noticed.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:52 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,820,931 times
As a woman, I post the most on the "General US" forum. They are usually broad questions I can answer. The Arizona forums are boring. I occasionally post on other forums, but I usually stick here. This subform is the most interesting to me, and sees the most activity so it keeps me interested. Some subforms almost see no activity so there are no new threads, so they're boring IMO.

I think my reason to explain this would be spatial intelligence. If I remember correctly, and that what I can observe in men and women, is that women have less spatial intelligence, but obviously that doesn't apply to everyone. Granted, I have extremely high spatial intelligence, so I can read maps easily and can easily tell my cardinal directions no matter where I am. An example I know is true, men rely on roads to remember where they need to go for the most part, and women in contrast rely on landmarks (i.e. like a McDonald's on a corner).

Old 01-09-2014, 03:54 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
Quote:
if you selected female in your profile it has long hair.
Maybe some of us are more interested in geography than filling out a profile.

Maybe you could ask the moderators why short hair is the default icon.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Maybe some of us are more interested in geography than filling out a profile.

Maybe you could ask the moderators why short hair is the default icon.
Har! And besides that, I am a woman with short hair, so let's throw that into the mix as well. Maybe I want a female icon with short hair!

OK, seriously - on to the question from the OP:

I am a woman (with short hair), and I frequent this forum, the Texas forum (because I live in Texas) and the World, Europe, UK, and Americas forums, and I also sometimes drop in on the Travel forum. I love to travel.

I am also quintessentially female - I love being married to my Alpha Male husband, love being a mom, I am DEFINITELY feminine (even my short hair is in a feminine style ), and I also frequent the Relationship forums on this site - but more the Non Romantic Relationships forum. The only time I drop in on the Romantic one is when I get in the mood to tell someone "Hey - he's just not that into you - move on!" or "If you like her so much, put a ring on it!"

Now - I DID take that geography test and only scored 20 percent (eventually I worked my way up to 50 percent!) but I have something going against me on that one - I am a "big picture" sort of person. I got the continents, and even the regions, and even the neighboring countries, right on nearly every question, but when faced with 40 obscure African countries, or 17 tiny island countries in a cluster, I often got the exact location wrong. But I'm like that with history too - I LOVE studying history, and I can tell you all about all the different elements that sprang from the Dark Ages, and went into the Reformation, which led to the Enlightenment, and then the settling of the New World, and then the Great Awakening, Prohibition, etc etc...but don't ask me about any precise dates! I can tell you WHY Napoleon did what he did, and how, but I can't tell you what exact year Waterloo went down.

Postman, don't give up. There are smart, savvy women living all over the place, who love to travel and who are interested in many of the things that you are. Keep looking! After all, you only need ONE. She's out there!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 AM

^ and you look great with it, honestly! And you're so youthful, seriously you don't look a day over 30 haha...

Yes of course I've seen you around the various forums, as I am a bit of a forum hopper too (not as much as I used to be ). Yeah I avoid the RS forum these days, it's all about silly superficial stuff like 'I'm 5'7" will women date me?' blah blah...it's more about dating and pick-up culture than actual relationships.

Okay I'll accept that reason/excuse . Yeah those small West African countries, seriously? haha. Even I had trouble with them. History is fascinating, my interest in travelling extends to/and stems from an interest in geography, different cultures, history, language - I find it really enriches your travelling experience and your knowledge of the world you live in, and people too. If you just see the sights and appreciate them only aesthetically (not that there's anything wrong with that) I feel they're somehow less meaningful. Meeting people from other countries is always very educating and interesting! Good to know your area of expertise too!

Haha, I won't...like I said quite a few women like to travel, but fewer seem really into it because they're interested in exploring, learning, it's more an experience they tick off or because everyone else is. Not to say most men aren't like that too. I know they're out there, though! (y)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.