Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where in Jackson is it affordable, safe & yet inexpensive to live?
Briarwood East 0 0%
Lake Trace 1 50.00%
Madison 0 0%
other, please explain 2 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,429 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're looking to move to Jackson for seminary and I'm researching the neighborhoods (is there a URL for a map with all the neighborhood names?) & the areas where crime happens (all over I know) and which areas to avoid, as well as what life is like in Jackson.

I read an opinion that summers are nasty but the other seasons are real nice. Anyone care to expound on or debunk that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 AM

190 posts, read 692,514 times
Quote:
We're looking to move to Jackson for seminary and I'm researching the neighborhoods (is there a URL for a map with all the neighborhood names?) & the areas where crime happens (all over I know) and which areas to avoid, as well as what life is like in Jackson.

Madison isn't a neighborhood in Jackson, it is a suburb in Madison County. Since you are moving for seminary (and I'm just assuming your funds may be limited), I would suggest looking in Rankin County for a place to live (Flowood/Brandon). They are generally more affordable than than Madison, and in my opinion the people are a bit more conservatively family oriented than Madison the city (assume that would be of interest to you). Since you are going to seminary, a church home while you are here may help sway your decision. There isn't any shortage of churches in the area, from large mega-churches to the small country type churches I prefer.

I personally would not live in the Jackson city limits or most of Hinds County. Just my opinion, as there are high taxes, significant crime, a decaying and neglected infrastructure etc, although I do think Clinton is a pretty nice area (home of Mississippi College). You'll get opposing opinions to mine I'm sure, so take mine and those for what they are worth, just opinions, and do your homework. Below is a link to the Jackson police department weekly crime report. I've also pasted one for the city of Madison as well as websites for other metro area towns (not an all inclusive list).

http://www.jacksonms.gov/government/police/crimestats

http://www.madisonthecity.com/Police...reportmain.htm

Rankin County:

Brandon:

http://www.cityofbrandon.net/

Flowood:
The City Of Flowood - Welcome Home

Pearl:

City of Pearl

Richland:

City of Richland, Mississippi

Hinds County:

Clinton:

http://www.clintonms.org

Madison County:

Madison:

Madison The City

Ridgeland:

Welcome To Ridgeland, Mississippi

Regarding the summers, that first one will probably be a bit of a rude awakening compared to Nebraska, but you should be fine.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:29 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,702 times
If crime is your first concern, then basically anything in either Madison or Rankin County will be very safe. There are plenty of affordable places all over, including in Madison, Ridgeland, the Gluckstadt area just north of Madison, the Flowood/Reservoir area just off Lakeland Drive, and the city of Brandon which is a traditional small town with burgeoning suburbs springing up around it. Clinton is also very safe and may be an easier drive to your seminary, although it's kind of on the other side of town from everywhere else that's been mentioned. For even more affordable but also very safe, there are Pearl, Richland, and Florence in Rankin County. Northeast Jackson has has some cool areas and is safe enough, but typically these areas are not necessarily low-budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson