Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 AM

772 posts, read 1,000,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
There is a reason Jackson is a dump and Madison is a desirable community
Whatever your reasons are, I understand Madison is a desirable community. But there are forces at work all over Jackson to make it desirable as well.

There is the Broadmeadow Neighborhood Association, the Fondren Renaissance Foundation, the Broadmoore Revival, OurFondren Neighborhood Association, etc.

There is a park called Fondren Park, where children are shown movies in an outdoors theater type setting at Northview and Dunbar in Fondren. Already, that area has come a long way with many creating a community of diverse people and personalities.

Of course, there is still work to be done with Jackson Public Schools and such things like that, but already Jackson has come a long way from what they were even 5 years ago.

Now sure there are shady parts of Jackson (I consider the most dangerous part of Jackson to be the Queens neighborhood, Flag Chapel Rd), but all big cities have their "other sides of town".

People have just GOT to quit basing their views of Jackson from the 1980s or 1990s or even the 2000s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Whatever your reasons are, I understand Madison is a desirable community. But there are forces at work all over Jackson to make it desirable as well.

There is the Broadmeadow Neighborhood Association, the Fondren Renaissance Foundation, the Broadmoore Revival, OurFondren Neighborhood Association, etc.

There is a park called Fondren Park, where children are shown movies in an outdoors theater type setting at Northview and Dunbar in Fondren. Already, that area has come a long way with many creating a community of diverse people and personalities.

Of course, there is still work to be done with Jackson Public Schools and such things like that, but already Jackson has come a long way from what they were even 5 years ago.

Now sure there are shady parts of Jackson (I consider the most dangerous part of Jackson to be the Queens neighborhood, Flag Chapel Rd), but all big cities have their "other sides of town".

People have just GOT to quit basing their views of Jackson from the 1980s or 1990s or even the 2000s.
I have no agenda but will speak up when someone tries to lump in nice places like Madison with Jackson.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:30 AM

580 posts, read 1,421,762 times
Quote:
It's more of a dump because you have people living outside the city driving into the city daily adding to the dump.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
It's more of a dump because you have people living outside the city driving into the city daily adding to the dump.
That doesn't make a ounce of sense.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,917 times
Using the statement "crime is everywhere" to justify living in Jackson over Rankin or Madison is idiotic. Jackson routinely ranks among the top cities in "murder rate." Just look at the crime map on city-data, almost all of Jackson is ranked as high. Serious crime in Flowood, Brandon or Madison is irregular and infrequent, and when it does occur, likely has a Jackson connection.

I am not a Jackson hater, I want Jackson to succeed as it would be good for the whole state, but I am a realist. There are good things happening in Jackson, but they pale in comparison to the bad. If you want to live in Jackson that is great, but be prepared to face crime, poor city services, crumbling streets and water/sewer system, high taxes, lack of shopping, paying for private school and lack of even basic entertainment such as a movie theater. There is t-shirt going around that reads "welcome to boil water alert USA."

Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Using the statement "crime is everywhere" to justify living in Jackson over Rankin or Madison is idiotic. Jackson routinely ranks among the top cities in "murder rate." Just look at the crime map on city-data, almost all of Jackson is ranked as high. Serious crime in Flowood, Brandon or Madison is irregular and infrequent, and when it does occur, likely has a Jackson connection.

I am not a Jackson hater, I want Jackson to succeed as it would be good for the whole state, but I am a realist. There are good things happening in Jackson, but they pale in comparison to the bad. If you want to live in Jackson that is great, but be prepared to face crime, poor city services, crumbling streets and water/sewer system, high taxes, lack of shopping, paying for private school and lack of even basic entertainment such as a movie theater. There is t-shirt going around that reads "welcome to boil water alert USA."

Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
"People have just GOT to quit basing their views of Jackson from the 1980s or 1990s or even the 2000s."

You are absolutely correct! Things have gotten a lot worse since then...

Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM

428 posts, read 848,813 times
Quote:
Jackson is not a dump. You cannot compare Madison and Jackson. That is like apples and oranges.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 PM

Also can we stop this whole Jackson vs the suburbs thing. It is disruptive to the forum. Most people living in Hinds, Rankin, and Madison are just living their lives and are not in competition with each other. There is a small population in the area that likes to bash Jackson but most people do not care. Jackson definitely has seen better day and there are maybe only two neighborhoods I would considered moving to there. But give Chokwe Lumumba a chance. Yes he is radical but it is going to take something radical to fix Jackson as long Jackson's demographic make up is the exact opposite of Rankin county.

Furthermore PLEASE STOP with the Madison city is so great and Jackson sucks campaign. Any intelligent person who knows anything about Mississippi already knows Madison is the most wealthy and exclusive city in Mississippi. You cannot compare the to. One has 16,000 people and the other 170,000.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:38 PM

zblanton1 made a good point. Fondren is doing nice as well as midtown and near belhaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson