Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:54 AM

7 posts, read 11,112 times

Advertisements

So we did it. My wife and I close on our house the 30th of this month in Fleming Island Plantation. We are moving from north of Philadelphia PA to be close to both my and her side of the family. From what we have seen, the way of life is going to be a fantastic change from what we are used to. I know the commute to the city is long, but thats ok as I currently drive about 50 minutes to and from work now. We are a little concerned about schools as our 7 year old is autistic and our 5 year old is just starting school but from what we have read, schools in Clay are not bad? We are excited as we bought our single home for the same price as we paid for a townhome here in PA. Anything we should know about the area that we couldnt have found out from talking to the realtor and our few visits to the area would be great input and much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM

560 posts, read 2,077,145 times
Sprawl and driving are the huge negatives of that area - but since you said you don't mind 50 minute commutes I guess you'll be fine.

Blanding Blvd is traffic-hell. It's one of the few places in town where traffic truly is terrible by big-city standards - so avoid that. You'll probably become very acquainted with the Buckman Bridge (I-295). Although there's plenty of everyday retail on Fleming Island now, you'll still go to the Southside a lot for specialty/luxury items.

If I lived in that area, I would take advantage of the (relatively) easy access to Riverside and Avondale. It's just a straight shot all the way up Roosevelt, and there are a lot of nice stores and restaurants which will offer a welcome break when you get frustrated with sprawlville.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:47 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,782 times
We have friends who just moved to the D.C. area from Fleming Island. They loved it! We're on our way to Jacksonville, but my husband's office is east, and we just weren't willing to do that commute. I've heard nothing but great things about Fleming!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:52 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
We really like living here. We don't have school-aged children, but we've heard no complaints about the schools from those who do. The only thing I have heard is that Fleming Island High School can be a little clique-ish. But by the time your kids go there, they won't be newbies to the community.

Presuming your kids will go to Thunderbolt, all I've heard is that although it's a little tough academically, the teachers and support staff are great and want the kids to succeed. One recent review I read I poopoo'd since the mother couldn't write worth a bean, so that sort of gave me a clue about where her expectation level was at.

Yes indeed your commute will be a breeze compared to what you're used to! You said you'll be working in the "city" and if that means downtown you can head straight up Hwy 17 and not use the Buckman Bridge to cross over the river. Your snafus will be getting through Orange Park, but then you'll have a break until you reach I-10/I-95 just outside the city. Even so, the commuter "nighmares" of Jacksonville are so so different than those of Philadelphia! We do the Buckman Bridge commute, but it is nothing at all like what we had commuting to Jersey City.

(BTW Blanding Blvd can be a mess, but you won't need to use it at all for your commute.)

The walkability and community amentities of Fleming Island Plantation mean there are lots of people and families out and about. There's tons to do from the pool and waterpark and playgrounds to fishing in the ponds or nearby Doctors Lake. With the design concept that all the neighborhoods are set off from the main drag, it's possible to bike ride or take a walk without leaving the neighborhood. But if you want a longer ride or walk, there's the Black Creek Trail that runs along Hwy 17 from Black Creek (south of FIP) all the way over the Doctors Lake Bridge to Orange Park. (Not sure the bridge is open yet to foot and bike traffic - it's been under construction for a while.)

One thing about the main drag in FIP, Town Center Blvd -- seriously pay attention to the speed limit -- it's 25 in some places and because of the elementary school and lots of people on sidewalks, they're strict about the speed limit.

As for shopping and restaurants, etc. we rarely need to leave Fleming Island. All the basics and then some are here. The public library is wonderful (and just outside FIP). We do go over the river to Town Center (the outdoor mall) and to the Avenues Mall for some specific shopping or for different types of restaurants, but the 25 minute ride is not a problem.

Some of the distances from Fleming Island: downtown 30-35 minutes; Jax Beach 35-40 minutes; St. Augustine 40-45 minutes; Orlando's theme parks 2-3 hours. As for St. Augustine, in the fall head over to the beach there to watch the final two shuttle launches.

We certainly understand your surprise when you found what housing money can buy here. We moved here three years ago from northeast PA, so we get it :-)

Old 06-20-2010, 05:00 PM

90 posts, read 214,395 times
Congratulations on your move! We moved here 1 year ago on the 15th from North West of Philadelphia and we love it! We hated the snow and cold so it looks like we moved just in time. I'm sure you will like it here. Fleming Island is a great place to live! Welcome!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:16 PM

250 posts, read 706,653 times
well, if you are football fans it will probably alot more convenient and cheaper to convert to jaguar fans than eagles. plus the weather is better.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:57 PM

7 posts, read 11,112 times
Wow, another reason to like the area. The fact that some of you folks have taken the time to be so imformative and helpful really is appreciated. I am used to the typical Philly attitude of effyoo ill kick your a**! I know it had to have taken quite a bit of time to type that Mawipafl! I am more excited every day about the move. We will be moving to Poplar Ridge Rd so look for us there!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 PM

73 posts, read 351,040 times
I can second the area. That's where I lived before my job moved me to Houston. My parents and my Sister and her husband all live in FIP a few houses seperated from each other. My 6 year old Nephew goes to Thunderbolt, its a very good school, he just finished the 1st grade there. Its a very active area for sports as well with many different leagues both thru the Y and others close to feed youth athletics and team sports. I felt very safe in the community during my stay in the area from 2001 to 2010.

Do heed what was said about the speed limits. Many don't and it ends up biting them, several times a week I see Clay Sheriff patrols any day of the week and sometimes I've seen them lurking at 10pm for people and youth coming home late.

And I will say this, as much as people complain about walkable, bikable communities and how unfriendly Jax is in that regard, FIP is a paradise compared to what I've seen of Houston where I'm at now, even outside the outer loop if a very nice area, with alot of new development. That's probably the single greatest thing that surprised me and I miss. I used to bike around FIP quite a bit a times to get things, go for a ride, take the nephew to or home from school. I wouldn't dare do that on these roadways.

You'll enjoy it tho, I've made the commute from FIP to downtown going right up US17 for quite some time. It's a breeze if your used to any kind of snarls in traffic.

Last edited by Chh2; 06-20-2010 at 11:37 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 03:08 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warshrike View Post
Wow, another reason to like the area. The fact that some of you folks have taken the time to be so imformative and helpful really is appreciated. I am used to the typical Philly attitude of effyoo ill kick your a**! I know it had to have taken quite a bit of time to type that Mawipafl! I am more excited every day about the move. We will be moving to Poplar Ridge Rd so look for us there!
You'll find that southern hospitality is real and especially more prevalent in certain places. Although many of us here are not born-n-raised in the south, it's quite easy to absorb it by osmosis and begin to spread it around.

I was so used to not making eye contact while walking along a sidewalk because that's the way things are done up north. But here it's the complete opposite. One does make eye contact and say "good morning" to passersby and one does get a return smile and reply.

As well, the members of the Jax Forum are far and away some of the most friendly people in all of city-data world. On occasion some of us get together in real life to devour pizza.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
Pat's or Geno's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville