Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
Is this the one southside blvd?
curiosity had me check their health inspection, which might explain it.
12/8/2006 14 violation
5/14/2007 26 violation
Normally restaurants would want to decrease the violation after the 1st inspection...
The fines are pretty hefty, Taj might have closed to avoid the fines. Probably reopen in another business name and owner.
Just my speculation.
Wow......how did I survive? I've eaten there many times.

Now if you want to talk health reports, the Steak & Shake on Phillips had 4 times that one year - something like 80 violations in one year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Went to Red Chiles for lunch today. This is one of my favorite restaurants, but I rarely go because my family does not care for Indian food.

The food has always been good and was today, as well.

The dining room to the right, where the buffet is located, was almost full. I was alone and couldn't help but eavesdrop on conversations going on around me- two guys discussing the Bahai faith, a couple of women planning a trip to Manhattan were discussing which shows they wanted to see, a table of co-workers talking about Ikea. So, anyone feeling that the walls are closing in on them living in this provincial little "big city" just needs to leave the WalMart and dine at Red Chiles!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:31 PM

81 posts, read 324,538 times
Don't reject India's Restaurant just for the naan, the other food is good. Cilantro's is great, too.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:15 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
We ate lunch at Red Chiles yesterday and then, out of curiousity, stopped at India Restaurant east of 95. Since we didn't eat at India this is not a fair comparison but I gotta tell ya, what a difference in ambiance. Food selection was good and tasty at Chiles but I was kinda turned off by food drippings and hand-scribbled food descriptions at the buffet line. India Restaurant had the white tablecloths and more elegant tableware which give it a more upscale aura although I can't vouch for the food this time around. Next time it will be India Restaurant.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:11 PM

57 posts, read 285,292 times
Default Taj closure

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
Is this the one southside blvd?
curiosity had me check their health inspection, which might explain it.
12/8/2006 14 violation
5/14/2007 26 violation
Normally restaurants would want to decrease the violation after the 1st inspection...
The fines are pretty hefty, Taj might have closed to avoid the fines. Probably reopen in another business name and owner.
Just my speculation.
Sad story. Historically, Taj was opened by the former owners of India Gate Restaurant in Mandarin, which closed down several years ago, and subsequently that site became the Cilantro (new owner).

I was a regular of theirs when they still had India Gate and naturally I tried out Taj when they opened. Sometime ago while I was eating lunch I found a very well done roach in my food. I pointed this out to the owner, and immediately left. I was not charged for my lunch, and that was the end of my patronage.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,862 times
Yuck, people actually go out of their way to buy kingfisher? I had it in india and BLECH .... but i love india's here in jax! just no indian beer for me, thanks!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:31 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,410 times
For what it's worth... the coconut naan at India's Restaurant is the BEST I have ever had. I love to order it takeout since I work in the area. Now, I will have the join the choir of other posters by saying I would NEVER dine-in, or order anything else on their menu. NOT GOOD EATS (stole that from Alton Brown). The decor sucks (ugly pink walls with poor lighting and thrift store furniture). The service is slow and unpleasant (not to be confused with rude, but definately lacking warmth), and the food was just not that good!

For the coconut naan lovers... where do you think has a runner-up?

Old 07-13-2008, 06:13 AM

147 posts, read 559,352 times
Hubby and I went to Red Chillies a month ago and had a wonderful meal, the service was great and there were many, many diners there of Indian descent while we were there...I took that as a good sign!

Old 07-13-2008, 06:04 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellson View Post
Hubby and I went to Red Chillies a month ago and had a wonderful meal, the service was great and there were many, many diners there of Indian descent while we were there...I took that as a good sign!
Red Chilli's is excellent. Bahut accha!

Last year, on my wife's birthday, I got carry out and put them into dishes and said that I prepared the food. It was funny but she didn't fall for it.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 12,248 times
I gotta throw my .02 out there on this one! I am an Indian food addict! I think Red Chile's is great. My kids are Indian food fans and agree that this is the best place we have been to here for Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville