Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 AM

10 posts, read 30,839 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are eyeing a house in Germantown area off Commonwealth Ave zip 32220. Listed at $350K, relatively new on a 10 acre spring fed, manmade lake with fish, on two acres in a gated community.

Looks great in the pictures, but sounds almost too good to be true, based on the prices and lot sizes we have been looking at in Mandarin, St Johns, etc.

My question are:

1. I know this is waaay out west, but is there anything I need to worry about in that area? Is this area a "rough or bad" area like i have heard about on the noth side?

2. Realistically, how long to get to Atlantic Beach from there? We are retired so I don't need to commute but would like to visit the beach often.

3. Anything else about that area we might want to know....

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE knowledgeable< who will take the time to respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:04 AM

10 posts, read 30,839 times
Cmon folks.....somebody help me out here. Somebody must have an opinion of this area of town................

Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
I don't think most of us get to that area very often - except when we're on I-10 (the big landmark on I-10 is the Publix Distribution Center). I think the last time I was actually in that general area was perhaps 10-12 years ago - Davey Big Tree Company. Don't have a clue what it's like today - but - back then - the area seemed more than a little rednecky to me. Don't think it's a hotbed of crime (probably too many guns and pitbulls for that) - but there's a reason it costs less than other parts of the metro area.

My guess is it would take you 45-60 minutes or more - depending on traffic - to get to Atlantic Beach (it takes us about 45 minutes give or take with no traffic to get from I-10 there to home - but JTB is a faster road than Atlantic Blvd. Robyn

Old 08-16-2010, 06:11 PM

560 posts, read 2,077,808 times
It's just a very rural rednecky area. There's no point comparing it to Mandarin or St Johns because it's a completely different market. It's cheaper because the overall area has less value. Nothing is wrong with the neighborhood itself (the popular baldwin bike trail goes through that area) it's just not a popular location, hence the cheaper prices.

I agree w/ robyn. 45 min on a good day, 60 minutes on a bad day. Another reason why the westside has less real estate value. It's not that there's anything wrong with it - it's just much less convenient to popular areas and amenities.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,220,933 times
What is a spring-fed, man-made lake? Sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 PM

216 posts, read 952,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Nothing more then what it sounds like. A lake that was made, which is fed water wise by a natural spring.

From I-10 EB & Chaffee Rd to get downtown it takes about 15 minutes. To get to the beaches the posts above have to travel time right, depending on the time of day, and what day it is. It's pretty rural at that zip, so don't expect much there ie: shopping etc. Close to that zip code there's a Winn-Dixie, and a Food Lion for groceries. Is crime rampant out there - no

Old 01-10-2011, 12:08 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,513,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
its where the developer got lucky and hit a spring while digging a retention pond.....and as far as rednekky anything west of the intercoastal seems rednekky to those that live in ponte vedre exspecially marsh landing and 40 years ago marsh landing was called palm valley and was def rednekky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville