Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,773 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
This board has been great for researching J-ville! My hubby just got a job at At&t and is moving down there NEXT WEEK. Yikes!!! I am staying behind in Philly until his training is done but we need to move into an apartment ASAP! We had looked at several places in Ponte Vedra Beach and we loved Soleil but I've been doing more research and am thinking that maybe we should live in Atlantic Beach? It seems more affordable (we are renting for a year to see where we want to buy) and we won't have a ton of money to start with, not to mention, we are in our late 20's and want to meet other young people and I have been getting the idea that PVB is older? Can anyone help me out with any detailed thoughts about Atlantic Beach? We are THIS close to applying for an apartment in Soleil but I guess I am having second thoughts! Thanks a bunch in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 10:53 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbound14 View Post
Hi everyone,
This board has been great for researching J-ville! My hubby just got a job at At&t and is moving down there NEXT WEEK. Yikes!!! I am staying behind in Philly until his training is done but we need to move into an apartment ASAP! We had looked at several places in Ponte Vedra Beach and we loved Soleil but I've been doing more research and am thinking that maybe we should live in Atlantic Beach? It seems more affordable (we are renting for a year to see where we want to buy) and we won't have a ton of money to start with, not to mention, we are in our late 20's and want to meet other young people and I have been getting the idea that PVB is older? Can anyone help me out with any detailed thoughts about Atlantic Beach? We are THIS close to applying for an apartment in Soleil but I guess I am having second thoughts! Thanks a bunch in advance.
atl. beach is more diverse and will cost less than PVB, consider JAX beach and neptune beach also. If you look hard nice places can be found for little money, but be careful because there are many not so great places all those towns other than PVB.
I am biased but I would rate the places as 1. PVB 2. JAX beach, away from the bar areas 3. Neptune 4. Atl. Beach
Good luck in your hunt

Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 AM

61 posts, read 283,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
atl. beach is more diverse and will cost less than PVB, consider JAX beach and neptune beach also. If you look hard nice places can be found for little money, but be careful because there are many not so great places all those towns other than PVB.
I am biased but I would rate the places as 1. PVB 2. JAX beach, away from the bar areas 3. Neptune 4. Atl. Beach
Good luck in your hunt
I've also been looking in Atlantic Beach- and love the area, primarily because it appears to be a very close knit, family oriented community - Kort677 - just curious, by why do rank it 4th? Thanks...

Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samierra View Post
I've also been looking in Atlantic Beach- and love the area, primarily because it appears to be a very close knit, family oriented community - Kort677 - just curious, by why do rank it 4th? Thanks...
out of the way location, too economically diverse for my tastes are a couple of reasons, you don't have to agree with me, but that is how I feel.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:43 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbound14 View Post
...we are in our late 20's and want to meet other young people and I have been getting the idea that PVB is older? Can anyone help me out with any detailed thoughts about Atlantic Beach? We are THIS close to applying for an apartment in Soleil but I guess I am having second thoughts! Thanks a bunch in advance.
I would say yes, in general, PVB residents are probably a little older than you.

If you're looking to be around more young people and more of a fun, youthful, casual beachy experience, I would look to Atlantic/Neptune/Jax Beaches.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:24 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
Good luck in your hunt
I'm new to this board but rather familiar with all the places mentioned above. I would never rate Atlantic Beach last. Everything east of Sherry Dr is just lovely and extremely charming. Looking at the western half ... well, that's another story.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
I'm new to this board but rather familiar with all the places mentioned above. I would never rate Atlantic Beach last. Everything east of Sherry Dr is just lovely and extremely charming. Looking at the western half ... well, that's another story.
I never claimed to be an expert, I only offered my take on things, and maybe I've only seen the not so nice parts, but I only call 'em as I see 'em

Old 07-01-2007, 05:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Some might prefer the more manicured look of Ponte Vedra, others might prefer the charm of Atlantic, Neptune or Jax Beaches.

Atlantic Beach is not out of the way at all......actually, Ponte Vedra is the one that's more 'out of the way' in the sense of commuting.

Atlantic Beach is straight across from Downtown and people who live on Atlantic Beach (or Neptune Beach, or Jax Beach) have more than one choice available for 'crossing the ditch'. From Ponte Vedra, the only real commuting choice is to work your way north up to JTB (to commute to Jax).

All four beaches are choice real estate and the prices reflect that...really, more similarities than differences (same ocean, right ?).

Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM

17 posts, read 97,857 times
Red face Moving to Atlantic Beach Florida from San Diego

My boyfriend and I are moving to the Atlantic Beach Florida area March of 2008. He has lived there before but I have not. We need to be close to the Naval base so thats why we decided on this area.

The few apartments I have seen online have bad reviews. Does anyone know of somewhere close to the base that is nice. Meaning I don't want drug dealers hanging out front...lol

I also work in the Travel Industry and Im wondering want kinda jobs are in the area and what the pay is like in Jacksonville.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 12-11-2007, 02:29 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassylass1973 View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to the Atlantic Beach Florida area March of 2008. He has lived there before but I have not. We need to be close to the Naval base so thats why we decided on this area.

The few apartments I have seen online have bad reviews. Does anyone know of somewhere close to the base that is nice. Meaning I don't want drug dealers hanging out front...lol

I also work in the Travel Industry and Im wondering want kinda jobs are in the area and what the pay is like in Jacksonville.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
there are other places that you could consider that will still be fairly close to mayport, if he is willing to commute about 30 minutes it would really open up your possibilities, also you need to decide what your budget is, while JAX can be cheaper than many other places, the nicer places can be costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville