Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 05:32 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times

Advertisements

In the early 1960's (guess I'm showing my age...) my dad was stationed at Mayport and we lived at 135 NE 13th Street in Atlantic Beach. All I remember about the house and area is that is was pretty nice and it was nice to be near the beach. Anyone familiar with the area now that can tell me what it looks like now? I'm happily living in Ohio, but it was a nice period of my childhood...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,150 times
Is this your family's former home? Zillow - 135 13th St, Atlantic Beach, FL 32233

If so - it is a wonderful area! As charming as you can imagine. And so close to this gorgeous white, flat, very walkable beach. Must have been a great place to grow up.

I like the diversity in eastern Atlantic Beach. There are still many well maintained old homes which make the area very special. They are an endangered species, though, as the appreciation of the lots has skyrocketed, especially over the last years. There's a new building ordinance in place now to protect the character of the neighborhood so that McMansions don't pop up everywhere. Funny - an action group to protect the home owners' rights to build whatever they want is named "Save Atlantic Beach". While its purpose is the reverse.

We've bought property in Ponte Vedra Beach, but Atlantic Beach was on our list as well. We vacation in PVB every year and never miss to visit lovely Atlantic Beach.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:45 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Hi CBB! Many thanks for the reply as well as the aerial view! From what I remember, the ol' homestead sure has been modified! And added to in the rear! And the deck in the front was added after we leived there, as well. I was only age 6-7 when we lived there, but I remember Atlantic Beach as being a pretty nice place back then. Sounds like it STILL is! I wonder, though, if real estate prices back then were as proportionately high as they were back then. My dad was a LT Cmdr in those days and we rented the house, I believe. I can't feature the house today being bought/rented on a mid-grade officer's pay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville