Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:48 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times

Advertisements

If you could redesign Jacksonville in terms of infrastructure, how would you redesign the city? I'll respond later with my view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 PM

If I could redesign Jacksonville in terms of infrastructure, I'd improve mass transit so Jacksonville wouldn't be so car dependent. I'd have the monorail connect the Northside, Southside and Westside so if you wanted to get from one side of town to the other, you could. Of course, there would be stations strategically placed so residents on either side of town have easy access to the monorail system. I'd keep 95 going North/South but extend the lanes so traffic could move more quickly, especially during rush hour. Other than that, our infrastructure is pretty good and doesn't need much alteration.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,883 times
Um,... how 'bout running I10 all the way to the freaking beach like they should have done in the first place. Driving the 15 miles down traffic light riddled Beach Blvd from Jacksonville Beach to downtown (or vice versa) sucks.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 PM

237 posts, read 458,053 times
i agree with both of you. the major concern for me is the mass transit..that train would be sooo important and greatly appreciated! It would cut down on vehicle, costs, repairs, pollution, etc.
Residents would like to enjoy the city and not worry about the hustle and bustle of traffic. I would definitely hope that it would be extended to the beach as well. This could generate a very large increase in revenue all over Duval County.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:35 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,116,604 times
I think our street system (highways and all) is sufficient. I think most sunbelt cities would be absolutely jealous to have our large grid system, and our highway system is fairly large and complex for a city our size. I-10 was not going to the beach nor should it. JTB is sufficient for now and it's your own decision if you choose to live in Jax Beach when you work downtown. Perhaps Atlantic or Wonderwood could be made fully limited access with feeder roads.

Regarding mass transit, I would not expand the Skyway too much because it is too expensive and a proven failure of a form of mass transit. I would focus on streetcars and/or light rail in the core, get the Jacksonville Transportation Center built, and get a light rail line from the Avenues to the airport, running parallel to Phillips. I would also have a feeder line heading out to the beach following the office parks along JTB and incorporating park and ride. The transit center downtown would be exactly as currently planned with slight modifications on the Amtrak side (the center would have JTA offices, Amtrak, Greyhound, monorail, light rail/commuter rail, etc).

I would seriously work on rehabbing all of our great parks from the Emerald Necklace between downtown and Springfield to Riverside Park to Boone Park and all of the little pocket parks. I think parks are crucial. I would also set aside some land for a future magnificently large park complete with public golf, riding course, walking trails, landscaping, water reservoir, etc.

I would move the convention center to the current courthouse site/parking lot after agreements with Hyatt. It would be larger than our current center and flcus on exhibitions rather than smaller meetings, which can be done in Hyatt's current space.

I would form more CID's and tax increment financing in individual areas. I would also try to push for another regional sales tax increase to fund projects (BJPII).

Also, we have had several chances to get schools in our downtown (Florida Coastal, FSU Law, Art Institute, list goes on). I would never let those opportunities pass up. I would also push just as heavily for more medical offices/facilities downtown or near downtown. Once a school or medical facility locates downtown, it is there for the long run. It can't just pack up and leave. Also Eds, Meds, and Feds are helping to get us out of this economic mess.

I would also change current policies to incorporate a more comprehensive plan for Duval County. I would put a near end to dendritic accretion style "community" developments and enforce that streets on subdivided parcels being developed by large companies offer better connectivity so that in the future in case anything changes these areas can be retrofitted and served by public transit. I would also highly encourage infill developments, building up rather than out. It is more expensive, but in the long run it can positively change the economy of a city and make city planning/transportation planning easier. Also, by using already built infrastructure, taxpayers aren't as obliviously taxed for sprawl.

I can sure go on and on, this question was way too loaded for me

Old 11-03-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I think our street system (highways and all) is sufficient. I think most sunbelt cities would be absolutely jealous to have our large grid system, and our highway system is fairly large and complex for a city our size. I-10 was not going to the beach nor should it. JTB is sufficient for now and it's your own decision if you choose to live in Jax Beach when you work downtown. Perhaps Atlantic or Wonderwood could be made fully limited access with feeder roads.

Regarding mass transit, I would not expand the Skyway too much because it is too expensive and a proven failure of a form of mass transit. I would focus on streetcars and/or light rail in the core, get the Jacksonville Transportation Center built, and get a light rail line from the Avenues to the airport, running parallel to Phillips. I would also have a feeder line heading out to the beach following the office parks along JTB and incorporating park and ride. The transit center downtown would be exactly as currently planned with slight modifications on the Amtrak side (the center would have JTA offices, Amtrak, Greyhound, monorail, light rail/commuter rail, etc).

I would seriously work on rehabbing all of our great parks from the Emerald Necklace between downtown and Springfield to Riverside Park to Boone Park and all of the little pocket parks. I think parks are crucial. I would also set aside some land for a future magnificently large park complete with public golf, riding course, walking trails, landscaping, water reservoir, etc.

I would move the convention center to the current courthouse site/parking lot after agreements with Hyatt. It would be larger than our current center and flcus on exhibitions rather than smaller meetings, which can be done in Hyatt's current space.

I would form more CID's and tax increment financing in individual areas. I would also try to push for another regional sales tax increase to fund projects (BJPII).

Also, we have had several chances to get schools in our downtown (Florida Coastal, FSU Law, Art Institute, list goes on). I would never let those opportunities pass up. I would also push just as heavily for more medical offices/facilities downtown or near downtown. Once a school or medical facility locates downtown, it is there for the long run. It can't just pack up and leave. Also Eds, Meds, and Feds are helping to get us out of this economic mess.

I would also change current policies to incorporate a more comprehensive plan for Duval County. I would put a near end to dendritic accretion style "community" developments and enforce that streets on subdivided parcels being developed by large companies offer better connectivity so that in the future in case anything changes these areas can be retrofitted and served by public transit. I would also highly encourage infill developments, building up rather than out. It is more expensive, but in the long run it can positively change the economy of a city and make city planning/transportation planning easier. Also, by using already built infrastructure, taxpayers aren't as obliviously taxed for sprawl.

I can sure go on and on, this question was way too loaded for me
That's the intent of this thread I'm loving all the responses thus far, keep them coming

Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM

237 posts, read 458,053 times
You are right Northside, some like large tomatos, others like little grape ones. Streetcars for downtown do sound nice, but keep in mind they do already have the skyway and all that I think is needed is the expansion of it to accomodate downtown. If a rail is implemented from the north, south, westside and beaches it would generate a ton of revenue for the city. The same money that gas stations, mechanic shops, insurance companies and auto dealers are making from the NECESSITY of having a vehicle here is well enough,imo, to pay for the construction and upkeep of a rail system. This would help downtown businesses and the area in general make the hot spots hotter, thus, expansion. More accessibility to enjoy the city if you are a diverse individual that enjoys many forms of entertainment. Money talks!

Not only that, I was having a conversation about this with some friends and according to them the majority of the problem is driving. We enjoy spots all over the city, on nights we want to go out for a nightcap and some dancing, one of us has to sacrifice a couple of drinks so we can have a designated driver. AND have to drive EVERYONE home, wake the next morning and drive all the way back to get cars, etc. The rail would solve that problem.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Perhaps we ought to get our wish list ready. Looks like Congressman Mica (my Congressman) will be the new head of the House Transportation Committee. His district includes all of St. Johns County (nothing in Duval or Clay). Robyn

Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
Um,... how 'bout running I10 all the way to the freaking beach like they should have done in the first place. Driving the 15 miles down traffic light riddled Beach Blvd from Jacksonville Beach to downtown (or vice versa) sucks.
How about using JTB? It's only 5-10 minutes from downtown on I-95. And it's there already . Robyn

Old 11-03-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuvalLuvah View Post
You are right Northside, some like large tomatos, others like little grape ones. Streetcars for downtown do sound nice, but keep in mind they do already have the skyway and all that I think is needed is the expansion of it to accomodate downtown. If a rail is implemented from the north, south, westside and beaches it would generate a ton of revenue for the city. The same money that gas stations, mechanic shops, insurance companies and auto dealers are making from the NECESSITY of having a vehicle here is well enough,imo, to pay for the construction and upkeep of a rail system. This would help downtown businesses and the area in general make the hot spots hotter, thus, expansion. More accessibility to enjoy the city if you are a diverse individual that enjoys many forms of entertainment. Money talks!

Not only that, I was having a conversation about this with some friends and according to them the majority of the problem is driving. We enjoy spots all over the city, on nights we want to go out for a nightcap and some dancing, one of us has to sacrifice a couple of drinks so we can have a designated driver. AND have to drive EVERYONE home, wake the next morning and drive all the way back to get cars, etc. The rail would solve that problem.
I don't understand how rail would "generate a ton of revenue for the city".

I totally understand the point about going out at night to someplace not really close to home and drinking. But I'm not sure a rail system would solve that problem. Even in Miami - Metrorail runs only about every 30 minutes - until midnight. That is past my bedtime - but younger people might not be happy with that. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville