Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:59 AM

688 posts, read 2,836,309 times

Advertisements

When I first came to this forum, I found it in a search on the internet. I came in and asked questions that I'm sure(didn't know then, though.) were asked maybe at least 100 times before I came around. I just didn't know any different. Most people find this place by trying to search a vast of info on their own, and when they see that there are many people willing to answer any question they have, well, they stick around. Most of us, the first and most important questions are the kind that relate to schools, crime, residence, etc. and I think I see that in the other state threads as well. I don't think people who are new to this realize that there is a search option right away(I didn't), or even that they are asking duplicate questions....they just want to get interaction with someone who is knowledgeable.

I found Riveree here a couple months ago. I am so ever grateful for her expertise in the area! She has been a great help to me and others and she doesn't seem to mind answering the questions again and again, she is just so polite and respectful! It is very comforting and welcoming! myfask also known as karla, is also a wonderful insightful person! I just want to stop and say thank you to everyone who was willing to answer my questions and take time out of their day! You all are kewl!! LOL!

Probably a sticky would get newbies attention more than anything. I'm not sure how long a sticky can be a sticky though. I still think questions would be asked over and over though, because at some point people will not want to sift through 100 pages of posts, know what I mean? But it could be a start if one was willing to take the extra time to monitor it I suppose. Any volunteers??? LOL! JK!

Take care!
LuLu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 01:15 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
thanks for the nice words lulu
I have been here 15 years and love it and really enjoying sharing the information I have acquired with others.
I have moved 23 times in my life and know how confusing it can be to move to a new area

karla

Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Aw! You're pretty kewl yourself LuLu !

MyFask/Karla has been a font of information for me as well.....not to mention a new gardening buddy .

Well Karla, you've got me beat! 23 moves?! And you were about to do it again last Fall?!

Let's see, I've lived in:

3 states
5 cities
oh, a dozen or so residences? Studios, postwar apartments, hi-rises, and houses .

Old 07-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Gee, thanks!

Just curious, since you both have moved so many times....any insight on how to get employment when you are not a resident yet? It seems like a really daunting task for us and we've been at the process since April!

The resume is great, but no phone calls. I posted a thread about this in the business/finance forum. I'm really starting to feel discouraged like my dream of moving to Jax is not going to come true!

Any advice on the job hunting? Thanks ladies!

LuLu

Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
Gee, thanks!

Just curious, since you both have moved so many times....any insight on how to get employment when you are not a resident yet? It seems like a really daunting task for us and we've been at the process since April!

The resume is great, but no phone calls. I posted a thread about this in the business/finance forum. I'm really starting to feel discouraged like my dream of moving to Jax is not going to come true!

Any advice on the job hunting? Thanks ladies!

LuLu
I know it's been mentioned before about getting a Jacksonville address (the idea being that if the potential employer believes you are local, you'll have a better chance of a call-back).

It can be as simple as setting up a P.O. Box.

There is a Postal Annex I use for some things and the people that run the place (it's been around for quite a few years) are locally loved for being just crazy-nice and helpful....in all my years of going in there, 100% of the time I walk out going "they are SOOO nice !".

Postal Annex
1526 University Blvd West
Jacksonville, FL 32207
(904) 732-4900

Old 07-17-2007, 07:05 PM

Hmmm...good advice, thanks! I've not been on here in days but I find a tremendous amount of good info everytime I log on here. I know some questions are the same over and over, but sometimes there are different answers and I get a lot just out of reading others postings. My husband has now had two phone interviews, he has another this Thursday which is a "big" one and hoping he gets an offer to go down for a face to face! [praying this is the one!]

Thanks for all the help you all!

LuLu

Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Default The evolution has value

I think that your post makes the case for no stickies.

The raw info can be obtained at a number of places. But the personal side, developing VL relationships through the conversations that take place in answering the questions can't be replaced.

The questions kind of evolve on this site. They develop, run their course and then, after a bit, go away, only to be replaced by the same question, maybe asked a different way, answered a different way and the progression begins again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
When I first came to this forum, I found it in a search on the internet. I came in and asked questions that I'm sure(didn't know then, though.) were asked maybe at least 100 times before I came around. I just didn't know any different. Most people find this place by trying to search a vast of info on their own, and when they see that there are many people willing to answer any question they have, well, they stick around. Most of us, the first and most important questions are the kind that relate to schools, crime, residence, etc. and I think I see that in the other state threads as well. I don't think people who are new to this realize that there is a search option right away(I didn't), or even that they are asking duplicate questions....they just want to get interaction with someone who is knowledgeable.

I found Riveree here a couple months ago. I am so ever grateful for her expertise in the area! She has been a great help to me and others and she doesn't seem to mind answering the questions again and again, she is just so polite and respectful! It is very comforting and welcoming! myfask also known as karla, is also a wonderful insightful person! I just want to stop and say thank you to everyone who was willing to answer my questions and take time out of their day! You all are kewl!! LOL!

Probably a sticky would get newbies attention more than anything. I'm not sure how long a sticky can be a sticky though. I still think questions would be asked over and over though, because at some point people will not want to sift through 100 pages of posts, know what I mean? But it could be a start if one was willing to take the extra time to monitor it I suppose. Any volunteers??? LOL! JK!

Take care!
LuLu

Old 07-17-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post

The questions kind of evolve on this site. They develop, run their course and then, after a bit, go away, only to be replaced by the same question, maybe asked a different way, answered a different way and the progression begins again.
.........so evolution is the solution?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
lulu
I was in a mailbox place the other day and asked if they rent mailboxes to folks from out of state and the owner said yes they can set everything up over the phone. So if you are still wanting a Fla address let me know and I will get you the phone number
We will keep our fingers crossed for your husbands phone interviews

karla

Old 07-18-2007, 04:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I think that your post makes the case for no stickies.

I moderate a backpacking travel forum.
We do have a stickie at the top asking people to try Search first (and a couple other suggestions about forming questions).
We have the same evolution of questions. Sometimes you can tell the person has read the stickie and done his/her Searching, sometimes it is obvious they have not.
The intelligently asked questions are dealt with promptly.
The "regulars" may or may not address the dumber questions, depending on their mood.
This is as good a system as we could come up with, the site has been up since '98.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville