Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
You need serious help. Or a one-way ticket outta here....
I agree. If you HATE where you live so much MOVE. I am not saying this being small-minded etc. If you are that unhappy here in Jax its not the place for you. I suspect you would be unhappy any place you move. Any place is really what you make it.

Sure Jacksonville has its problems and ignorant people but so does anywhere. Look over any board on here and you can find negative comments about anywhere.

its hard to describe anywhere with a couple lines. The negative view of Florida metros

Miami too many immigrants and you have to know Spanish to get around
Jacksonville filled with ignorant Rednecks and might as well be part of GA
Orlando too crowded and filled with rude tourists
Tampa/St Pete too many retirees

So instead of bitching and moaning look for the good and if you want to make changes. Do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
My comments about JAX were meant to be tongue in cheek by nudging it into GA but if you want me to elaborate I will. Jacksonville out of a the large FL metros seems to be more southern & conservative politically & culturally. Is somebody going to refute the fact that Georgia for the most part is a Conservative state? Especially when compared to Florida? I of course being from SE FL will respond when somebody calls Miami or other cities "trashy" so take it for what it's worth.
I'd actually say that Tampa is just as "southern" and conservative as Jacksonville, and it has the largest confederate flag flying in the world at the intersection of I-4 and I-75.

There are probably just as many natives and old timers in SE FL as in Jacksonville, but they are overshadowed by 5 million transplants and Latin and Hispanic visitors and residents.

Also, Jacksonville is about 60-40 transplant to "native" and not all of the natives are southern rednecks. My dad is a native who's mom is from Philadelphia and who's dad's family is from Buffalo (the bed I slept in at home was a 19th century bed from Buffalo, family came down in late 1890s). Most of the transplants are from several select areas: Tri-State, PA, Chicago (where my mother is from), Atlanta (where I currently live ), San Diego (military and business ties...similar demographics), and S FL (many many many from S FL...where my parents moved up from in the late 80s).

The difference in population is that Jacksonville is a "family" town and a military town that is focused on business and trade, so even the "yankees" coming down are not going to necessarily be your fist bumping Jersey Shore types or your extremely liberal Boston couples who never have children.

In relation to GA, Atlanta area is probably 70-30 transplant to native Atlanta. Many of the transplants there are from rural GA or other southern states, but many many many transplants are from the Northeast and S FL, as well as CA. Everyone is going to Atlanta; the only net emigration from Atlanta is to Denver. Jacksonville has a lot in common with the demographics of Atlanta and the flora and fauna of coastal SE GA (slightly more tropical...zone 9b), so in essence it could be considered more similar to that state than SE FL, but there is no city in America similar to SE FL (it could be its own country).

Old 12-16-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I'd actually say that Tampa is just as "southern" and conservative as Jacksonville, and it has the largest confederate flag flying in the world at the intersection of I-4 and I-75.

There are probably just as many natives and old timers in SE FL as in Jacksonville, but they are overshadowed by 5 million transplants and Latin and Hispanic visitors and residents.

Also, Jacksonville is about 60-40 transplant to "native" and not all of the natives are southern rednecks. My dad is a native who's mom is from Philadelphia and who's dad's family is from Buffalo (the bed I slept in at home was a 19th century bed from Buffalo, family came down in late 1890s). Most of the transplants are from several select areas: Tri-State, PA, Chicago (where my mother is from), Atlanta (where I currently live ), San Diego (military and business ties...similar demographics), and S FL (many many many from S FL...where my parents moved up from in the late 80s).

The difference in population is that Jacksonville is a "family" town and a military town that is focused on business and trade, so even the "yankees" coming down are not going to necessarily be your fist bumping Jersey Shore types or your extremely liberal Boston couples who never have children.

In relation to GA, Atlanta area is probably 70-30 transplant to native Atlanta. Many of the transplants there are from rural GA or other southern states, but many many many transplants are from the Northeast and S FL, as well as CA. Everyone is going to Atlanta; the only net emigration from Atlanta is to Denver. Jacksonville has a lot in common with the demographics of Atlanta and the flora and fauna of coastal SE GA (slightly more tropical...zone 9b), so in essence it could be considered more similar to that state than SE FL, but there is no city in America similar to SE FL (it could be its own country).

The problem with many South and Cetnral Florida lcoations is taht people move there and somewhere else is "home". The come to Florida to die, and then they are shipped to OH or NJ to be buried, have funeral services up there, leave money to charities "back home".

Jax doesnt have that. People move here and make it home. The root for the Jags etc. You are spot on about us being demographically more like Atlanta or Charlotte than Miami or Orlando. ( Orlando if you take away the Disney/Attraction component is very much a "Southern" city anyway.)

Old 12-17-2010, 05:38 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Moved down here about 2 months ago from NJ. All I knew about Jacksonville when I came down here is what I saw on 95 on the way to Disney. Wasn't terribly promising.

Anyway, I must say, it's a very cool place (overall). Here's what I like:

-People are very nice--keep in mind where I'm coming from but they're just nice. Sure, there are some jerks (as with anywhere) but, overall, people are great around here.
-Lots of restaurants
-Cheap as heck to live here. Housing is ridiculously cheap. Of course, you can spend more if you want but you don't have to.
-Traffic is not bad--for the most part, traffic is a non-issue. Even where there is traffic, it's nothing like what I'm used to.
-Lots of cool things to do in the area--and many of them cost little to nothing to do.
-Not a vacation destination--people don't, typically, come to Jacksonville for a vacation. So you don't get the problems that can bring.
-Most things are convenient--seems like many things are fairly convenient to get to around here.
Winter weather--it certainly doesn't suck. Lots of sunshine and warm temperatures. Ok, we've had a day or two of chilly weather but...
Medium-size town feel--even though Jacksonville is huge, it doesn't feel that large.
-Roads--they're in such good shape (for the most part). I'm used to pothole after pothole...
-Beaches--beaches are WAY accessible and you don't have to pay to park or get onto them!

Here are some things I don't like:

-Food--yes, there are lots of restaurants but most of them are chains. You get a decent meal there but just not all that many independent places to visit. Of course, I'm coming from one of the best places (in the world) for food--North NJ/NYC area. So not bad food around, just not the same variety I'm used to.
-Schools--ok, in my saga to figure out where we'll live once my wife and kids make it down, I'm learning a lot about the schools. There are good and bad but you do seem to have to be careful.
-Summer weather--not lived here for it but spent plenty of time in FL to know I'm not going to like the weather around here in the summer.
-Few Christmas lights--I know it's been discussed before but where are all of the Christmas lights? I'm used to driving around on Christmas Eve to look at everyones' lights.
-Most people aren't from here--seems like most of the people around here are transplants. The few people who did grow up here are great resources for things in the area. Just not enough of them.

That about covers most of my thoughts for now. Overall, I'm digging it here. It's not perfect but it's better than where I came from!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liedj View Post
We chose JAX. We looked at all the above places in Fla. and retired here in Sept. from NY worts and all. We have found all the people very friendly and helpful. We are in Pecan Park {Northside} the convenience to everything up here is great. Contractors show up when they say they will, whats with that.
I think most locals think I'm in the witness protection program because of my accent {didn't know I had one} and don't work. Many have actually asked me why we came here.

What America thinks of Jacksonville Fl.

No one From NY knows where it is until you tell them its where all the construction is on I-95 when you first enter Fla. on your way to Disney. When we told people we were moving here we had to explain where it was and why we weren't going south. That's not such a bad thing we didn't want those things and the problems that THEY have.

I do want to know. Is everyone packing a hand gun in JAX? I worked 35 years all over NYC at all hours and never new anyone who carried one or ever felt I needed one. Most the guys working on my house had them tucked in there pants. The hot tub installer actually pulled his when he heard someone screaming across the street.
T
Interesting people in America still dont know WHERE Jax is. Florida has a shape like no other state, Jax is in the top right corner of the state. Jax is never on international maps, but is mostly on national maps & always on regional ones.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Interesting people in America still dont know WHERE Jax is. Florida has a shape like no other state, Jax is in the top right corner of the state. Jax is never on international maps, but is mostly on national maps & always on regional ones.
Most cities of 1.3 million are nothing on the internation scene unless it is a capital city or of cultural significance.

Most people have no idea where Mendoza, Argentina is but they know Buenos Aires

Most don't know Manaus(sp?) Brasil but they know Rio de Janeiro

Mendoza and Manaus are both important regional cities but largely unknown internationally

Old 12-18-2010, 04:04 PM

70 posts, read 309,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Moved down here about 2 months ago from NJ. All I knew about Jacksonville when I came down here is what I saw on 95 on the way to Disney. Wasn't terribly promising.

Anyway, I must say, it's a very cool place (overall). Here's what I like:

-People are very nice--keep in mind where I'm coming from but they're just nice. Sure, there are some jerks (as with anywhere) but, overall, people are great around here.
-Lots of restaurants
-Cheap as heck to live here. Housing is ridiculously cheap. Of course, you can spend more if you want but you don't have to.
-Traffic is not bad--for the most part, traffic is a non-issue. Even where there is traffic, it's nothing like what I'm used to.
-Lots of cool things to do in the area--and many of them cost little to nothing to do.
-Not a vacation destination--people don't, typically, come to Jacksonville for a vacation. So you don't get the problems that can bring.
-Most things are convenient--seems like many things are fairly convenient to get to around here.
Winter weather--it certainly doesn't suck. Lots of sunshine and warm temperatures. Ok, we've had a day or two of chilly weather but...
Medium-size town feel--even though Jacksonville is huge, it doesn't feel that large.
-Roads--they're in such good shape (for the most part). I'm used to pothole after pothole...
-Beaches--beaches are WAY accessible and you don't have to pay to park or get onto them!

Here are some things I don't like:

-Food--yes, there are lots of restaurants but most of them are chains. You get a decent meal there but just not all that many independent places to visit. Of course, I'm coming from one of the best places (in the world) for food--North NJ/NYC area. So not bad food around, just not the same variety I'm used to.
-Schools--ok, in my saga to figure out where we'll live once my wife and kids make it down, I'm learning a lot about the schools. There are good and bad but you do seem to have to be careful.
-Summer weather--not lived here for it but spent plenty of time in FL to know I'm not going to like the weather around here in the summer.
-Few Christmas lights--I know it's been discussed before but where are all of the Christmas lights? I'm used to driving around on Christmas Eve to look at everyones' lights.
-Most people aren't from here--seems like most of the people around here are transplants. The few people who did grow up here are great resources for things in the area. Just not enough of them.

That about covers most of my thoughts for now. Overall, I'm digging it here. It's not perfect but it's better than where I came from!
Rick
I have to agree with you. Still looking for a great fresh seafood restaurant. 72 deg here 35 in NYC. How can you beat it. Heading to the hot tub to call my brother.
Ed

Old 12-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I notice that in national media it is usually refered to as Jacksonville now. NO longer needed to say Jacksonville, Florida.. In about 1985 my Uncle came to New Jersey to visit and we went toa saml store and he said he was from Jacksonville, the guy said oh I love the Carolinas. That used to be a lot more common
Yea I think Jacksonville FL has become THE Jacksonville of the 6. I think that is a good thing. Sometimes I forget the other Jacksonvilles are out there.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:11 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Florida has a shape like no other state
Florida: America's wang! -Homer Simpson

Old 12-20-2010, 04:57 AM

The only "wang" in the US. It would be interesting how America would be shaped if Florida didnt develop the way it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville