Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 AM

61 posts, read 130,259 times

Advertisements

I am from the North East (CT, 45mins outside of NYC). 40yo single male, Currently interviewing with a major international company in JAX.

Was wondering if the jacksonville scene was for me?

1) Where do the locals play beach volleyball. (I Look for competative doubles levels A, to AA).
2)What's Jax night life like, is it ok for an older single male? (well at least I look 32) I heard people are more friendlier than up north. Where to go? Downtown or beachside?
3) Where are all the boating hang outs, tie ups, been considering a 30Ft spectre cat speed boat. Are marina costs high down there? Up here its $75 to$100/ft per season.
4) Most importantly, where to live? what area's are nice and safe and commutable and what area's should I avoid? I would be commuting to the deerwood area. Would be looking for a 3/2/3 home in the $260-$375K range. Where does most of the traffic come from? What area's give you proximity to the beaches and downtown that area nice and safe?

Thanks for any replies in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
You can get some information about the volleyball here:

FCVA

Because of what you said about volleyball and boating - I'd look at the Beaches (from Atlantic Beach to Ponte Vedra Beach). The beach volleyball is - of course - on the beach. And there are marinas on the ICW (intracoastal waterway) - which separates the Beaches from the mainland. Don't know anything about the cost - the nature of the people - or anything like that (I'm not a boater).

I'm quite a bit older than you are (63) - and my idea of nightlife is probably pretty different than yours (although my husband and I do occasionally go to one of the JAX Beach bars in the late afternoon after a walk on the beach). I'll leave it to guys closer to your age to give you more info. I can tell you that there are plenty of single/divorced women here. Also - there seems to be co-ed volleyball. Perhaps a good way to meet people.

Most of the Beaches is nice and safe. And there should be a fair amount in your price range. Note that the Beaches here really haven't lived up to their potential - yet. Some parts will be more downscale than you expect. Also - we have a definite beach season - from about April through October. Gets kind of cool here in the winter for beach stuff.

Best to spend a little time here (a few trips) before you decide whether this is the place for you. Since volleyball seems to be your first love - perhaps you could take a trip down when there's a volleyball event. Meet the people - and see if you "click". Also spend some time hanging around a few marinas.

Your commute to/from the Beaches to Deerwood should be about 30-35 minutes give or take in rush hour depending on the beach location and the Deerwood location. Robyn

Old 05-04-2011, 04:46 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,679 times
above sounds good advice Also consider the St Augustine area with its unique character and easy commute to Jax We also have St Augustine beach

Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
We've lived here 2 1/2 years and have our own boat (20' Cuddy Cabin). Here is our input on your questions:
1. At the beach. Don't know how "competative" they get there though.
2. Some locals will come right out and say the nightlife here *****......period! Some will say "what nightlife?" While others do like the nightlife, most especially at the beaches during the summer........PARTY TIME! But, since we are in our early 60's, the only place we find the nightlife as great is Vegas!
3.There are boating hang-outs both on the St John's River and Intercoastal. But, see very few boats, like you are looking to buy, on the river except during the Poker Run. Mostly Cuddy Cabins, Cabin Cruisers, Bowriders and fishing boats on the river and, from what we've seen, same goes for on the Intercoastal. We go on the river and to Jax Landing which can be a big hang-out for boats! Doesn't cost to tie up at Jax Landing or Metro Park, but does at St Augustine Marina. Dry Storage here can is around $10 per foot plus trailer storage ($50 per mon.) Don't know what a slip would cost, but do know that Dry Storage or a Slip costs more on the Intercoastal than on the river. We have our boat in an RV/Boat Storage Yard.
4. The Baymeadows and Mandarin areas seem to be extremely popular. We live in the Baymeadows area next to the 95 freeway in an apt. complex. We sure like where we live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobusy4 View Post
I am from the North East (CT, 45mins outside of NYC). 40yo single male, Currently interviewing with a major international company in JAX.

Was wondering if the jacksonville scene was for me?

1) Where do the locals play beach volleyball. (I Look for competative doubles levels A, to AA).
2)What's Jax night life like, is it ok for an older single male? (well at least I look 32) I heard people are more friendlier than up north. Where to go? Downtown or beachside?
3) Where are all the boating hang outs, tie ups, been considering a 30Ft spectre cat speed boat. Are marina costs high down there? Up here its $75 to$100/ft per season.
4) Most importantly, where to live? what area's are nice and safe and commutable and what area's should I avoid? I would be commuting to the deerwood area. Would be looking for a 3/2/3 home in the $260-$375K range. Where does most of the traffic come from? What area's give you proximity to the beaches and downtown that area nice and safe?

Thanks for any replies in advanced.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:34 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Jax has pretty good night life, just depending on what you're looking for.

The Beaches area and Downtown and it's surronding neighborhoods are the 2 general hubs for nightlife.

As far as where to live, just depends on what sort of area you are looking for. If being close to the beach is imporant to you, then look close to the beach. If you don't mind driving 20 minutes or so to get to the beach, then there are literally endless possibilities.

So...what would be important to you in a neighborhood? Proximity to the ocean? Character? walkable/bikeable? Close to the mall? Close to independent shops? Central location in the city? Planned, subuurban sub-division? Historic neighborhood? Near bike trails? Near the Arts?

etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville