Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,801 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about relocating to the Jacksonville area. Our biggest concerns are safety, good schools, and locations with plenty to do, day and night. We have a 16 month old son and my wife would be staying home with him and I want them to feel safe outside and going shopping, etc. I'm entertaining a job offer just north of Murray Hill/Edgewood. We would like to purchase a home. Maybe a foreclosure? I'm willing to commute a little if I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:17 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,506,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesttojax View Post
My wife and I are thinking about relocating to the Jacksonville area. Our biggest concerns are safety, good schools, and locations with plenty to do, day and night. We have a 16 month old son and my wife would be staying home with him and I want them to feel safe outside and going shopping, etc. I'm entertaining a job offer just north of Murray Hill/Edgewood. We would like to purchase a home. Maybe a foreclosure? I'm willing to commute a little if I have to.
Murray Hill isn't a bad area it has some older homes not sure about foreclosures there but there are some for sale, I'm sure a regular here named fsu813 will chime in on this and tell you all about the Riverside/Avondale area...I would listen as he knows quite a bit about those areas, and seems to have it's pulse so to say. Good luck on your move.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:48 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesttojax View Post
Murray Hill is a pleasant little neighborhood. LOTS of tiny bungalows around 1000 sq feet. Four Corners Park, near the center of the neighborhood, is nice....as well as the baseball ball fields on the SE side of the neighborhood.

Here's an excellent photo tour of the area: Urban Neighborhoods: Murray Hill | Metro Jacksonville

In the boom time of the market, it was considered a "hot" nieghborhood, mostly because it sits next to super-nice Avondale. That label doesn't really apply anymore, although it is slowly improving. It does have crime issues, as most neighborhoods in Jax do, but not anything unusual...just common sense sort of things. West of Edgewood Ave is MUCH nicer than West, much more gentrified. The nicer area is concentrated around the general center of the neighborhood. Has a sleepy little commerical strip (Edgewood Ave) that has some decent things. All in all, it's a pleasant little neighbohood. Quiet. Not a lot going on. Pretty close to the more popular historic neighborhoods where you'll find a lot more to do. So not a bad choice at all. It's a relatively cheap area as well.

Here's a cool feature about the area: Go-Lo Murray Hill

Here's a website the highlight's th nighborhood, along with the other unique historic neighborhoods of Jax: www.golojax.com

Here's the main neighborhood organization:

http://murrayhillneighbors.com/wp/
&
Murray Hill Neighbors | Facebook

www.intownjacksnville.com & www.dwellingsjax.com are realty companies that specialize in the electic, historic neighborhoods of Jax....so they have a lot of good info.

I have lots of other info about the area too. These neighborhoods are a hobby of mine, per se. So feel free to ask for more info.

= )

Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,506,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theshypester View Post
Jacksonville is a very nice area, and it is def growing. I recently moved here myself, and one thing I discovered what the wide selection of furniture deals available. If you do move here you should go check out Atlantic Bedding and Furniture, it is a great furniture store where they sell brand new stuff at 50-80% less than the local competition. They allowed me to furnish my home for cheap and they delivered. They are located at 1111 Lejeune Blvd, right next to Sanders Ford. They also have a website at www.atlanticbeddingandfurniture.com
Theshypester I think your in the wrong Jacksonville, as the LeJune Blvd location is in Jacksonville, Nc. there are a couple of those furniture stores here in Jacksonville Fl. though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville