Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 5,432 times

Advertisements

So upon reading threads on this site about crime in jacksonville it lead me to needing to ask some questions. While answers were all over the board, it seems the consensus was that you cant walk down the street without getting mugged, raped, shot or assaulted anywhere in Jax. I find this very hard to believe. Is it really bad there? Or are the posters older "worry-warts" who watch the news 24-7 and read the papers like its the bible? I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh and like many cities, there are areas you simply avoid due to crime. Even in most suburbs there are neighboring areas that you avoid. Is this a fair comparison to jax? Just stay away from the "ghettos" and you'll be fine. Lets face it, every city has crime. But just use your head and if you dont go looking for it, it shouldnt find you. Crime can happen anywhere to anyone at anytime. Is Jax getting a bad wrap or is it really an overall unsafe area to live? Im a 32 yr old male and would like some feedback from people who arent basing their opinions on the news or because someone you know knew someone who was a victim of crime once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:41 PM

410 posts, read 362,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtd134 View Post
So upon reading threads on this site about crime in jacksonville it lead me to needing to ask some questions. While answers were all over the board, it seems the consensus was that you cant walk down the street without getting mugged, raped, shot or assaulted anywhere in Jax. I find this very hard to believe. Is it really bad there? Or are the posters older "worry-warts" who watch the news 24-7 and read the papers like its the bible? I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh and like many cities, there are areas you simply avoid due to crime. Even in most suburbs there are neighboring areas that you avoid. Is this a fair comparison to jax? Just stay away from the "ghettos" and you'll be fine. Lets face it, every city has crime. But just use your head and if you dont go looking for it, it shouldnt find you. Crime can happen anywhere to anyone at anytime. Is Jax getting a bad wrap or is it really an overall unsafe area to live? Im a 32 yr old male and would like some feedback from people who arent basing their opinions on the news or because someone you know knew someone who was a victim of crime once.
I've only toured the area in anticipation of a move, but from what I see jacksonville(even the areas close to a non-existent downtown) aren't really 'walk down the street' type of places......not neccessarily because it's so dangerous, but because why would someone be walking down the street?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:37 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
yes you can walk down the street in many parts of the city without worrying about being mugged. Jax is pretty average in that regard. More than anything, you'd have to worry about being hit by a car. Jax has one of the highest rates of pedestrian injuries and deaths.

But I don't think thats what you're asking about...youre basically curious about safety and security from crime, and jax is mostly fine in that regard.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Yes, Jacksonville gets a bad rap. And I'm glad you find that what you've been reading is hard to believe. Numbers and statistics are just that and truly do not give a location an overall fair assessment. It's unfair to give Jacksonville, which is huge land-wise, a general crime rate to make it appear that every part of the city falls under the same numbers and statistics.

Your comparison to Pittsburgh is indeed fair. A person takes a risk walking anywhere alone after dark in all parts of the USA, so you're right that it's all about using common sense and being aware.

I've raised eyebrows about this, but after attending the symphony one night, I walked from its riverside location in downtown Jax about 6 or so blocks to where my car was parked in a garage near the main library. And I was in bare feet because my high heeled shoes were killing me. Would I make this a habit? No, of course not. Would I have done the same in a different part of downtown? No, probably not.

I've also walked certain parts of Springfield alone and with others both during the day and after dark. I've shopped at every mall here and experienced nothing, not even a hint, inside nor outside in the parking lot.

Based on "numbers and statistics", I should therefore know someone who's been a victim of a crime here, but I don't. And I should have seen a crime unfold, and I haven't. I really don't know the formula used to create a location's crime rate, but I don't believe what is factored in is that a great deal of shootings and assaults are not random, and that once someone hears the rest of the story it's not always a case of an innocent victim being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Splitting the numbers to show random and non-random crimes would make a big difference in determining how safe or unsafe a city is in general.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:06 AM

I basically take everything read or hear with grain of salt when it comes to peoples opinions. You brought up an excellent point about Jax covering such a broad area when it comes to crime statitics. Just from reading threads on here Ive picked up on the fact that the stats may be a little skewed. Ive read on here everything from a brawl almost breaking out at a 4th of july event (OMG! That could only happen in Jax right?) to someone actually mentioning the bloods and crips, which gave me a good laugh! Could there be gangs there. Sure. Theres gangs and even a notorious motorcycle club called the "Pagans" (who you do not want any parts of!) in Pittsburgh. But, guess what? I dont deal with them and they dont deal with me. Could i be an innocent bystandered? Yes. Anyone can. But use your head anywhere and you'll be fine. Ive walked the streets at night aimlessly in Toronto, Brooklyn, Manhatten, Philly, San Antonio, and even Jamaica all with no trouble finding me because i use my head.

Ok with all that said, what would be a good place for my wife and I to look into renting before we get our barrings down there to buy. We're both 32 with no kids and still like the nightlife every now and then. We'd like to be close to some action and definitely close to the beach (a short 10-15 min drive would be fine), with a renting budget of around $700-900/month. We currently do not know exactly where we'd be working yet so would a commute to anywhere be difficult? A 25-30 min drive to work would be nothing for us.
Thank you all in advance for your replies!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Are you looking for a small house, a 1B or 2B apt? And what is close to some action...meaning in a slightly walkable area or within a short drive to "stuff." Almost the entire city is a short drive to "stuff"

Old 01-03-2014, 02:52 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Yes, a "commute to anywhere" could be difficult. If you lived near Jax Beach and your job was in or near Orange Park or somewhere on the westside loop of I-295, you'd spend more time in your car than you'd want to (potentially an hour at least and probably more).

Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 PM

654 posts, read 945,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtd134 View Post
I live in Pittsburgh but I used to live in Jax. We've sort of done the reverse. Jax is sort of like Pittsburgh and its suburbs: there are certain areas you should avoid, because most of the crime is concentrated there. However, the vast majority of the city is fine in terms of safety. (It's not criminals you have to worry about--it's Bible thumpers.) Most of the violent crime in Jax is concentrated in the northwest corridor, certain parts of the Westside, and increasingly, in Regency. Mandarin, Julington Creek, Southside, Inner Intracoastal, Jax Beach, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, St. Nicholas, San Marco, Riverside, and Avondale are all quite safe. I'd avoid 103rd St. on the westside. I had a friend who lived there who had some problems.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 PM

Thank you so much for your replies. I should have been a little more specific in my questions. I am looking into buying a lawn service business the areas of either Jullington Creek/Bay Meadows/Ponte Verde or the areas in the Westside. Im leaning more towards the jullington creek/ponte verde one though. With that being the case, can anyone help me out with a good area around those places. Looking for a 2 bedroom/1.5-2 bath townhouse or even better a house with an estimated budget of $800-900/month. We definitely want to be close to the beach (like i said a 10-15 min would be fine) and when i said action, i was referring to not being trapped in sububia where the local watering hole is Applebees til 11:00. Walking distance is not necessary but would be nice. But by no means necessary. How close can you get to the beach without prices taking you to the cleaners? Have done some research on the jax beach area and it looks like a cool place. Yes??

Also, our main reason for the move is my wifes profession. She is a ceritied occupational theropy assistant (COTA) and the average salary in northern florida is almost 25% higher than here in PGH...and thats just the average! Anyone know of any good places for her to look in to? Former collegues have moved there and said they could take their pick of companies in all of florida, but we're choosing northern florida for the weather. We hate snow and the freezing cold!!! But love spring summer and fall. Its supposed to be a high of 2 here on tuesday! Yes you read that correctly. A HIGH of 2 degrees!
Thank you all again in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville