Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:46 AM

265 posts, read 994,357 times

Advertisements

Construction seems to = A hispanic population. We have many construction companies taking advantage of illiegal immigrants here and that is ocurring everywhere. But there is not a huge hispanic population. But as with all things our country, and this is not a bad thing, is becoming slowly but surely non racial. At some point in the future there will not be black, white, hispanic or any other at some point the Pure breeds will be bred out. I am not a pure breed (Italian, Greek and English) so it is of no consequence to me. But to answer the question no there is not a large hispanic population....yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 02:47 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Default Ass U Me

Your bias is showing there, Backtofla.... actually, the latino population here is so low that when you call in a crime to Jax Sheriff's office, they ask if the perpetrator is black or white....very different from south Florida. No, it's the indigenous population for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
it still seems hard to believe. are there THAT many spanish speakers who dont know english living up there already that make the number so low? is jax the next miami or orlando now? great!?!

Old 08-11-2007, 03:27 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
what can i say? i live in orlando, i am white and i feel like a minority. i dont like it. no pc about it, i am just going to say it like it is. when there are more blacks and hispanics in an area, the crime tends to be higher. i would rather not be the minority. plain and simple.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:45 PM

450 posts, read 558,221 times
you don't find people tend to want to live with on their own

Irish want to live within irish usually, mexicans want to live with mexicans usually. Most immigrants want to live within their own, language, culture, tradition etc
In boston supposedly a liberal city it's probably the most segregated city I've ever lived
southie, irish. north end= italians though the yuppies are moving in, east boston now hispanic, blacks roxbury,mattapan, dorchester or parts of it

I rememeber a thread on the boston board where a a black guy was asking where do blacks live there as he wants to live with them he was from CA , I lived there and hopefully he's enjoying life if he moved I remember when someone said on here they wanted a non diverse area to live and for some reason that got locked

fact is everyone is different and no matter what someone or a group says people will want what their heart , lifestyles or minds what

each to their own

in a way like the great voltaire said
I may not agree with you but I will give my life in order for you to say it

Old 08-12-2007, 08:21 PM

20 posts, read 56,633 times
Thumbs up Reality

This is no insult but it may be possible that Florida may have acquired a lot of road people over the years not having a state tax. Every loser from here to eternity may have come to FL in the search of peace and the American vacation dream. Many of them ended up poor, mixing with local rednecks giving the locals a bad reputation. The locals who were uneducated themselves (Florida is known for poor education)retaliated in any way they knew how. It results in a pool of uneducated hatred that noone can figure out. Hence here we are...

What to do about it.......well the locals should try to stay within their families for now to minimize hatred. The flux of mexicans, cubans and every other mix breed coming across the border will keep the locals hands full for years to come until they will finally welcome a Yankee into Florida. I know that sounds hard to swallow but in time yankees and necks maY TEAM UP together for a common goal....to hold america together.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:22 AM

396 posts, read 399,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I will tell you, Jacksonville IS progressing economically. Compared to the rest of the state, the Jacksonville job market is actually growing in balance with it's population. The good ol' boy system might still be alive, but it's shrinking. Just 5 years ago, I would of considered Jacksonville Podunk city compared to the rest of Florida's urban centers. Now, I think Jacksonville is quite respectable and seems to be learning from the mistakes made in the growth of areas like Orlando and Miami and progressing through the 21st century. Cities like Miami and Orlando will fall off the map through the 21st century, Cities like Fort Lauderdale and Tampa will stagnate. Jacksonville will continue to be a shining star in the state of Florida, although it's in the progress of change as we speak, as noland put so eloquently. Yeah, its good ol' boy ish right now, but that will change.
Would you be so kind as to share with us the location where you bought your crystal ball?

Old 08-13-2007, 05:43 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy123 View Post
I know that sounds hard to swallow but in time yankees and necks maY TEAM UP together for a common goal....to hold america together.
The real "reality" is that we are becoming one global nation, like it or not.

It's better to face up to the reality and be sure your children are properly educated and can compete on a global scale in the years to come.

So much talk about Mexican, Cubans, New Yorkers, etc., and no mention of the real competitor in the coming global economy - China. If you don't look beyond your own backyard, you fall victim to a myopic view and you "lose sight of the forest for the trees", as the old saying goes .

As we stand today, anyone is "welcome" to move to Florida. This is America, we can choose to move across state lines at will, no invitation necessary . Our country's borders are open as well for legal immigration - good thing, right? Your ancestors immigrated here, right?

I urge you to take a step back and look at the bigger picture - we're all in this together .

Old 08-13-2007, 05:57 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I will tell you, Jacksonville IS progressing economically. Compared to the rest of the state, the Jacksonville job market is actually growing in balance with it's population. The good ol' boy system might still be alive, but it's shrinking. Just 5 years ago, I would of considered Jacksonville Podunk city compared to the rest of Florida's urban centers. Now, I think Jacksonville is quite respectable and seems to be learning from the mistakes made in the growth of areas like Orlando and Miami and progressing through the 21st century. Cities like Miami and Orlando will fall off the map through the 21st century, Cities like Fort Lauderdale and Tampa will stagnate. Jacksonville will continue to be a shining star in the state of Florida, although it's in the progress of change as we speak, as noland put so eloquently. Yeah, its good ol' boy ish right now, but that will change.
I tend to agree, Jax has been on a roll. I fear the new property tax relief efforts will have a negative effect for Jacksonville though and the progress may slow or stall.

Like city governments everywhere, there's plenty of waste in Jax as well. But the city has made efforts to keep millage rates in line and even slightly reduced millage rates a couple of years back (wow - a reduction !). We also haven't had all the additional tax fees like other Florida cities have. We're looking to have a garbage fee added now which is new for us (other cities have long had this).

So there are big budgets cuts already planned, and you know a lot of that will be in the areas of the arts/culture at a time when Jax is still getting off the ground in that department.

I would imagine small businesses - which was the start of this thread - will suffer as well if they were counting on assistance from the city.

So, we'll have to wait and see how Jax deals with this. A slowdown in growth and progress would not be suprising .

Old 08-13-2007, 06:21 PM

Wink lets prove my claim

Lets prove my theory. Pull out the Jacksonville Yellow Pages. Pick any randon five companies by blind choice. Call each of them and start a conversation. Tell them you want them to email you some information about the business they offer. Then try to give them your email address. I'll bet most of them will have to ask for your email address at least three times and repeat it several more times before they get it. It will be like giving an email address to a child. Then tell me the education level of Jacksonville!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
This post is simply not true. Check out the illeracy rate here. Check out the wages paid. We have nowhere to go but up... but that is a ways off.

I've lived in Broward (Ft. Laud. area) most of my adult life and in Duval four years now. It is a very unique environment here. Yes, it is progressing... but that is such a relative statement.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 PM

Default hahahaha thats a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
Would you be so kind as to share with us the location where you bought your crystal ball?
thats a good one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville