Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times

Advertisements

How late are bars open? We are staying at the Hyatt Regencey downtown and looking for some waterinmg holes nearby. We are a group of males in the late 20's and ealry 30's I would like the name of streets/hot spots within walking distance that would have some nice looking women and some good drinks/music on a Wed night. We would also consider a short cab ride. What are the main nightlife districts in Jax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
How late are bars open? We are staying at the Hyatt Regencey downtown and looking for some waterinmg holes nearby. We are a group of males in the late 20's and ealry 30's I would like the name of streets/hot spots within walking distance that would have some nice looking women and some good drinks/music on a Wed night. We would also consider a short cab ride. What are the main nightlife districts in Jax?
Sounds like an invitation for fsu813's expertise, just wait I'm sure you will hear from him. He is the downtown and urban Jax authority, just ask him he will tell you exactly where to go in the downtown and urban Jax area.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Quote:
Wednesday night nightlife in Jax is going to be relatively scarce pretty much anywhere you go.

Next Wednesday (the 1st Wed of every month) is a big Downtown Art Walk woul;d be exactly what you're looking for:
First Wednesday Artwalk - Artwalk in Downtown Jacksonville
Always good times, good women, and good drinks.

If you're looking for something tonight there probably won't be much activity. But who knows.

Here's what's with-in walking distance, all but Mavericks are in the same area:
Dos Gatos (bar/lounge)
Marks (bar/lounge/club)
The Ivy (bar/lounge/club)
Dive Bar (bar/club)
TSI (bar/lounge/club)
Burro Bar (bar)
Lit (bar/club)
Poppy Love Smoke (bar/lounge)
Mavericks (bar/club)

Here's what's a short drive away, with-in a few miles:

In Riverside....
Mossfire (restaurant with bar)
O'Brothers (bar/restaurant)
Birdies (bar/cafe)
The Loft (bar/club/lounge)
Rogue (bar)
KickBacks (bar/restaurant)
Walkers (bar/lounge)

In Avondale....
Casbah Cafe (bar/cafe)
The Brick (restuarant with bar)
Orsay (restautant/bar/lounge - in the back)
Mojo No. 4 (restaurant with bar)

In San Marco....
Taverna (restaurant with bar)
Bistro Aix (restaurant with bar)
Square One (bar/lounge/club)

Just Google them for their websites and more info.

On a Wednesday night i'm not sure what'll be good and what won't, but Dos Gatos, Marks, O' Brothers, Kickbacks, Orsay, & Casbah Cafe would be my recommendations on an active night.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:28 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
I feel like I've read lots of your posts before, stx. Maybe when I was looking into Louisville a few years back...

Anyway, there are plenty of bars within walking distance of Hyatt but I'm not sure any of em will be hopping on a wed night. Any chance you're asking about next Wed...cause that would be Art Walk which would be completely different from a typical Wed.

There's Lit, Dos Gatos, Burro Bar, Mark's, Dive Bar, Poppy Love Smoke, Tsi and Ivy; all bars or clubs within a couple blocks of the Hyatt. But I highly doubt they'll have much going on tonight.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 PM

Ah, looks like FSU posted earlier while I was caught up with stuff. Yeah, what he said.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:52 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
He is the downtown and urban Jax authority,
That is funny...but the OP can also check MetroJacksonville.com many good advice there as well.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:07 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Maybe it was just a Wed or rather an off night....but downtown Jax is eerily dead. It looks like there are attempts at gentrification and lofts but one could stand in the street at 11 PM and not see a single car for two minutes...and this is on major roads like Bay. The bars were all empty downtown except for our convention group and some local hipster types at Dos Gatos, which was our favorite spot. I am thinking the nightlfe must be more up in the San Marco and Riverside-Avondale areas? The sad part is a few of the bars seem super nice and have a somewhat chic decor, like Mark's. And what is with the Landing? That place seems stuck in the 80s and is a major strike out for downtown that could have lots of potential.

Jax downtown is one the least vibrant of any top 50 metro I have toured recently. I remember it being slow 8 years ago at my last visit so I was hoping for more with all the gentrification. Still a nice town with friendly folks, just seems a bit slow paced and not too vibrant....and this is compared to its similar sized peers.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:33 AM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
Just a quick question, how do you know Bay is a major street?

Anyways, sorry to hear that. Like everyone else said, if you're still here next Wed., go to the ArtWalk, it's really fun!!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:22 AM

232 posts, read 574,249 times
Quote:
Maybe it was just a Wed or rather an off night....but downtown Jax is eerily dead. It looks like there are attempts at gentrification and lofts but one could stand in the street at 11 PM and not see a single car for two minutes...and this is on major roads like Bay. The bars were all empty downtown except for our convention group and some local hipster types at Dos Gatos, which was our favorite spot. I am thinking the nightlfe must be more up in the San Marco and Riverside-Avondale areas? The sad part is a few of the bars seem super nice and have a somewhat chic decor, like Mark's. And what is with the Landing? That place seems stuck in the 80s and is a major strike out for downtown that could have lots of potential.

Jax downtown is one the least vibrant of any top 50 metro I have toured recently. I remember it being slow 8 years ago at my last visit so I was hoping for more with all the gentrification. Still a nice town with friendly folks, just seems a bit slow paced and not too vibrant....and this is compared to its similar sized peers.
Definitely agree with you everything you posted.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Yah, i felt bad when I saw your question. I definitely knew that if you were asking about going out later that evening and not this week then it would turn out just the way that it did. Anyway, it's just the sad truth about Jax. There really is no "hot spot" neighborhood on weekdays. Downtown in particular shuts down at night. There are occasionally particular places to go within a neighborhood during the week, but I wouldn't think of any part of town as a must see on weekdays. Even riverside and san marco probably weren't very exciting that night.

Hopefully when you come back in 8 years things are radically different, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville