Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times

Advertisements

Just returned from Jax, where it seems that all we did was eat. Here's some feedback. (Mostly from the Westside because the traffic in Jax terrifies me).
Metro Diner was awesome. We went to the Julington one. We got there at 11 am and were seated immediately. The corned beef hash was terrific.
Crystal River - ended up going there twice. Great both times and reasonable. However the only cocktails they serve are some kind of pre-made slushes. Sonny's on Blanding- decent BBQ
Got dragged unwillingly to a place called Famous Amos on San Juan. I thought Famous Amos was a cookie company? Place is a dump, but clean, and the chicken-fried steak was actually very good. Lots of food at low prices.
Edgewater Bakery has a restaurant now, with a higher end bistro menu on Th F Sat. We had lunch, a terrific reuben sandwich.
European Street is still excellent.
That's all I can remember now. Rest of our gluttony took place in South Carolina and I will post on that forum.
Need to say a word about the unfailing courtesy and helpfulness of Jax residents. I went into a Food Lion and when the checker found I didn't have one of their cards, he borrowed one from the security guard and used that !! The people in my town are great but I don't think you'd ever see that in California. Thanks for a great visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 12:04 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
There IS more to do in Jax than eat!
Just what part of Jax are you talking about that has that bad of traffic that it "terrifies me"?
We've never been to Famous Amos, but when first seen, we to thought it was about cookies! You said "place is a dump", then say it's clean, very good chicken-fried steak and low prices??????? How can the place be a "dump" and yet so good and cleam???
Clue.......most people have to be nice when they are working and their job requires courtesy/helpfulness! Not saying the people here, in general, aren't nice, but Jax is no small town in Montana or Wyoming where everyone knows each other! I grew up in a town like that in Indiana and it was really cool, but most of the time, only "small town folks" have that "friendliness" type thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Just returned from Jax, where it seems that all we did was eat. Here's some feedback. (Mostly from the Westside because the traffic in Jax terrifies me).
Metro Diner was awesome. We went to the Julington one. We got there at 11 am and were seated immediately. The corned beef hash was terrific.
Crystal River - ended up going there twice. Great both times and reasonable. However the only cocktails they serve are some kind of pre-made slushes. Sonny's on Blanding- decent BBQ
Got dragged unwillingly to a place called Famous Amos on San Juan. I thought Famous Amos was a cookie company? Place is a dump, but clean, and the chicken-fried steak was actually very good. Lots of food at low prices.
Edgewater Bakery has a restaurant now, with a higher end bistro menu on Th F Sat. We had lunch, a terrific reuben sandwich.
European Street is still excellent.
That's all I can remember now. Rest of our gluttony took place in South Carolina and I will post on that forum.
Need to say a word about the unfailing courtesy and helpfulness of Jax residents. I went into a Food Lion and when the checker found I didn't have one of their cards, he borrowed one from the security guard and used that !! The people in my town are great but I don't think you'd ever see that in California. Thanks for a great visit.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Good to know you enjoyed your visit. People here, for the most part, are friendly and courteous. I think the difference is the lower degree of stress compared to big, more bustling cities like LA, NY, CH, Boston and the like. Plus the southern hospitality thing (to some degree).

Old 10-29-2011, 01:38 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,557 times
Traffic in Jax?, got a laugh out of that.Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:35 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Glad you enjoyed your trip as well. But curious about the terrifying traffic. I've lived here a year and haven't found, what I'd call, traffic yet other than in Orange Park.

There are some good places to eat but there certainly is a lot more to do in the area. If/when you come back, be sure to get out and do some of the other things around here. You won't be disappointed.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
RE; Amos, I should have said "looks like a dump". I've been to Jax many times as I have relatives there, have seen the zoo and many other sights, but compared to my town the traffic is pretty bad, as would be expected comparing a 120,000 population with over a million or whatever Jax is now. HQ for visit is my mom's house near Wilson and Blanding and I find that for a relaxing vacation, it works better for me to stay on the Westside, Riverside etc. Thanks!.

Last edited by eureka1; 10-30-2011 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 PM

5,210 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
RE; Amos, I should have said "looks like a dump". I've been to Jax many times as I have relatives there, have seen the zoo and many other sights, but compared to my town the traffic is pretty bad, as would be expected comparing a 120,000 population with over a million or whatever Jax is now. HQ for visit is my mom's house near Wilson and Blanding and I find that for a relaxing vacation, it works better for me to stay on the Westside, Riverside etc. Thanks!.

Eureka California, is a beautiful area and I can imagine why our traffic seems so busy to you. Glad you enjoyed yourself

Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit, come back soon and have more great fun and food.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:21 PM

The OP thinks we have traffic, she should come back here during the Christmas Holidays or as BTO sang "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet".

Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM

Hummmmm, we still don't get this "people here, for the most part, are friendly and courteous" statement!
That "courteous" stuff sure isn't on the freeways, for the most part! No turn signals, dangerously cutting in and out of traffic, red light runners and a heck of a lot of drivers who drive like they are on a NASCAR track!
As far as "friendly" goes......like other areas we've lived in, it's the people who are paid to be friendly that are truely friendly! I know about a "friendly" area/town, I was raised in one in northeastern Indiana. In the small town we lived close to, not just the barber knew my dad, mom and I but the banking staff knew us, grocery store employees, gas station employees AND the neighboring farmers. I sure liked that feeling! When we are at the Landing, we walk by people and absolutely NOBODY will say a word, unless we say "hi" or something first. Nobody wants to talk to strangers unless the stranger talks to them first.......which I've done and it can really shock some folks that a stranger makes some kind of comment to them in a store.
Last week, my wife was looking at a nice top at Khols and asked me about it. I said "nice, very nice" and then I looked at a lady standing by another rack and said "excuse me, what do you think of this top". She said smiling, "looks very nice" and I looked at my wife and said "hey, we both like it, buy it!" The lady smiled and walked away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville