Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:11 PM

285 posts, read 606,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
T-U is the Times-Union ... Jax's local paper ... online it's jacksonville.com
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 PM

233 posts, read 766,948 times
Some of the other old Food Lions will become Rowe's, and some will become Save-a-Lots, according to the article.

I think Publix should also take up some of the old Food Lions.

The old Food Lion at 103rd and Blanding is in a bit more difficult situation... some of the options are tapped out, as Rowe's and Save-a-Lot already have locations nearby, and there's a Walmart Supercenter down the street, but there could be opportunities for other stores to consider that location.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
The folks commenting on the T-U forum crack me up. They seem thrilled about these coming. WMNM's are not that good, even from a pricing perspective.
I agree. When I lived in a small town in the Panhandle, one that only had a Piggly Wiggly, I would occasionally drive to Panama City to go to the WalMart there for groceries. The quality did not impress me, but I was especially surprised to see how uncompetitive the prices were.

There were wild rumors circulating here that our defunct Food Lion in Fernandina would become a Whole Foods.
I am not overly enamored with Whole Paycheck, but I'd probably shop there a lot more often than a Walmart Marketplace.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyVibe View Post
Some of the other old Food Lions will become Rowe's, and some will become Save-a-Lots, according to the article.
The old Food Lion on Arlington Rd just north of Arlington Expwy has been converted into a Roses store.(kind of a 5 & dime discount store)
I have also heard that a Food Lion on the northside has been converted to a Roses store also.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Food Lions to become Walmart Marketplace Stores-800px-roses-_waynesboro-_virginia.jpg  

Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
Wow. There's a name I haven't seen in a while.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:31 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
No doubt! Love me some Roses!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,346,441 times
My current city has Wal Mart Neighborhood Markets. Apart from a few more people having jobs, there is nothing exciting about this. Their selection is paltry by the standards of most supermarkets, and I find the prices no better (and in some cases higher) than what you would find in a Super Center.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM

702 posts, read 2,186,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
The folks commenting on the T-U forum crack me up. They seem thrilled about these coming. WMNM's are not that good, even from a pricing perspective. I would love to see Rowe's IGA become more of a player here. They have a great little grocery store on Beach Blvd. & seem to have no problem competing against the Walmart across the street.
A side note on Rowe's, I stopped into the one on Beach & SS to grab some sodas and chips for a party I was on the way to. In the short time I was in the store I found a few out of date items on the shelves.
Otherwise, I stick with BJ's and Super Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville