Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 AM

232 posts, read 574,349 times

Advertisements

I think you missed the point.

The majority of people in this thread talk about the problem at the Landing being the homeless or the dirtiness at the landing. According to you its a non-issue. When people get chased by a transient high on bath salts, I think that just helps highlight the exact problem with the landing.

I acknowledge that crime happens everywhere. But I think your link to the last 2 articles is stretching it. That's right next to San Marco, and in a pretty dumpy part (my opinion of course, which I'm sure to you is wrong). I doubt you would find many people recommending newcomers to this board to live in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 09:07 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,509,057 times
I didn't miss it, I opted for a cooler full of beer at the the community swim park with some other families.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,884,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
No one goes to The Landing. It's a dump. There are no businesses there. They aren't opening new businesses. People don't spend their free time there. There's nothing to do there.

(yawn). I could correct ridiculous opinions every day.
Who said nobody goes there? Again, as usual, your blind faith in all things downtown affects your intelligence. People have only said it could be better and it's not as, "vibrant," as you claim.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,281,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Who said nobody goes there? Again, as usual, your blind faith in all things downtown affects your intelligence. People have only said it could be better and it's not as, "vibrant," as you claim.
A variety of people who type on City-Data have claimed that nobody goes there.

A variety of people have said far more than "it could be better". Far more.

Everyone has stated that it's not as great as it could be.

And could you point out how "vibrant" that I have claimed it to be?

That's not a word I would normally use for that location, execpt during one of the many events held there.

Please don't make stuff up.

I do know how to use copy & paste and can easily collect 10 uniformed opinions about how:

"It's a dump, nobody goes there, it's dead, there's nothing to do, waste of time, it's dangerous"

Etc.

While I know, and the thousands that go there everyday know, that these are gross exaggerations and ridiculous, many also do not know. It would be unfortunate for people to form an incorrect, skewed perspective based on the misinformed writings of a few.

Therefore I provide factual information to disprove these misinformed comments, which you do not seem to be aware of. (Again, if you'd like me to highlight some of the doozies, I can).

I the meantime, I'll take some photos of my lunch today there.

I'll have about 10 restaurants to choose from, not including the food court. We'll see what happens.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
A variety of people who type on City-Data have claimed that nobody goes there.

A variety of people have said far more than "it could be better". Far more.

Everyone has stated that it's not as great as it could be.

That's not a word I would normally use for that location, execpt during one of the many events held there.

Please don't make stuff up.

I do know how to use copy & paste and can easily collect 10 uniformed opinions about how:

"It's a dump, nobody goes there, it's dead, there's nothing to do, waste of time, it's dangerous"

Etc.

While I know, and the thousands that go there everyday know, that these are gross exaggerations and ridiculous, many also do not know. It would be unfortunate for people to form an incorrect, skewed perspective based on the misinformed writings of a few.

Therefore I provide factual information to disprove these misinformed comments, which you do not seem to be aware of. (Again, if you'd like me to highlight some of the doozies, I can).

I the meantime, I'll take some photos of my lunch today there.

I'll have about 10 restaurants to choose from, not including the food court. We'll see what happens.
Ah, you take everything someone says literally then. Good to know.

And I never said you used the word, "vibrant," but, go back and read your posts. All you talk about is how great it is and how much stuff is going on, how many people are there. Vibrant is a word which could be used to describe that.

Enjoy picking your lunch. I've got to get to the beach to enjoy the sun and waves...

Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 PM

278 posts, read 665,041 times
Wanted to chime in because my wife and I just took a stroll over the Main Street bridge, as we often do, and checked out the Landing. There were several people there and I would say that if you are looking for a Riverfront destination to become intoxicated and listen to a mediocre cover band playing "southern rock" tunes, the Landing is a place to be.

I'm not going to say nobody goes to the Landing. I will say that the turnover in tenants would seem to indicate that businesses have trouble making money in the Landing for a significant length of time. The people visiting seemed to be there to drink and to sit around and have something to do before going back home.

I will also say that I've been there many times during lunch on a weekday, and there are definitely some people there, and they appear to be patronizing the businesses. But it is in no way a "destination" - in other words, if you aren't already downtown, there's no reason to go to the Landing. And I say this as someone who is downtown FOR FUN almost every day, just to hang out, and dream about how vibrant it used to be down there. I remember when it opened and what a big deal it was. I don't think it ever lived up to that hype.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
Quote:

Here you go!

Quote:
Well, it must be a miracle! I'm at The Landing with a friend and it's vibrant!
And that's just on a typical evening at the Landing, with nothing special going on.
BTW ... we went there last night, to a Corey Smth concert at Mavericks(Corey is a friend of our middle son) and it was packed. With a lot of drunks and underage revelers.(about what we expected though)

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 07-14-2012 at 03:55 AM..

Old 07-14-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
Wanted to chime in because my wife and I just took a stroll over the Main Street bridge, as we often do, and checked out the Landing. There were several people there and I would say that if you are looking for a Riverfront destination to become intoxicated and listen to a mediocre cover band playing "southern rock" tunes, the Landing is a place to be.

I'm not going to say nobody goes to the Landing. I will say that the turnover in tenants would seem to indicate that businesses have trouble making money in the Landing for a significant length of time. The people visiting seemed to be there to drink and to sit around and have something to do before going back home.

I will also say that I've been there many times during lunch on a weekday, and there are definitely some people there, and they appear to be patronizing the businesses. But it is in no way a "destination" - in other words, if you aren't already downtown, there's no reason to go to the Landing. And I say this as someone who is downtown FOR FUN almost every day, just to hang out, and dream about how vibrant it used to be down there. I remember when it opened and what a big deal it was. I don't think it ever lived up to that hype.
Hush! FSU is gonna come and correct your opinion..

Old 07-14-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Here you go!

And that's just on a typical evening at the Landing, with nothing special going on.
BTW ... we went there last night, to a Corey Smth concert at Mavericks(Corey is a friend of our middle son) and it was packed. With a lot of drunks and underage revelers.(about what we expected though)
I guess it was vibrant?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:42 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,509,057 times
underage kids cash is green too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville