Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,334 times

Advertisements

We moved to Jax in January. We chose an apartment in Orange Park simply because it was close to family. Since then we have explored some great things in Jacksonville and surrounding areas and we really like what the area has to offer. Our problem is we are paying a lot in rent compared to where we lived previously and I am still looking for a job. My husbands pay just isn't supporting the bills and family alone. We are currently paying $739 for a 2 bedroom for 2 adults and 2 children (one school aged and one infant). We really like the school our school aged child is in right now but we just can't swing this rent. What areas are more affordable and still safe for children, if any? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM

53 posts, read 113,434 times
That in my opinion is not too much if you are in a safe neighborhood w good schools. It may be wise to pay your bills down/off and then look for something so you can get what you want and not have to move again. I hope others may be more helpful.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,897,445 times
You likely will not find a 2/2 in a safe neighborhood with schools you will be satisfied with for a monthly rent less than you are currently paying.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,921 times
I agree with the posters above. My rent on the Southside is $825 for a 2/1.5. This was the lowest we could find without sacrificing safety. OP is pretty decent when it comes to rent prices.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,334 times
This is what I have seen to be true but I was hoping to find out something different. Sigh. The rent is so much higher than where we come from but I guess we wont find better. The sad thing is my baby will soon be needing his own room so moving to a 3 bedroom will really kill our budget.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:47 PM

178 posts, read 328,698 times
Children can share a bedroom up to a certain age. Bunk beds! You're likely not to find a safe place with lower rent, but check Craigslist on a daily basis. Where does your husband work? Wages and jobs in Clay County encourage everyone to work in Jax but the commute is awful. Your story sounds like mine did back in the nineties - we moved to Clay County to be near family, but finally escaped and now live in Riverside area of Jax to be closer to work. Many rental options available but you may have to figure out how to live for awhile with 2 bedrooms. It's not hard when you consider your alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville