Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 PM

6 posts, read 7,200 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are thinking about moving to Florida and in my research the Jacksonville area seems like it could be a good fit. However, I was wanting more information ie: more specific location, beach area or closer to the city, pros and cons of the area.

We are in our early 20's so looking for somewhere with things to do and a decent night life.

Also: job opportunities, affordable rent, low crime rate, and a good singles seen

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 01:36 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
Consider the Riverside, San Marco, Springfield Historic District or Jax Beach areas. Depending on what you can afford. All of these areas are for a younger crowd with a decent nightlife. But be forewarned jobs are not currently easy to come by.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:52 AM

705 posts, read 1,575,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dani9601 View Post
However, I was wanting more information ie: more specific location, beach area or closer to the city, pros and cons of the area.

We are in our early 20's so looking for somewhere with things to do and a decent night life.

Also: job opportunities, affordable rent, low crime rate, and a good singles seen

Probably the most lively/younger areas of town would be Riverside or the beaches. Riverside being located just south of downtown. However, Jacksonville in general is not a "party town".

In general, job opportunities are not great, but I think rent is pretty reasonable. Most of the crime is in the north and west parts of town. Overall crime statistics for the metro area are not good comparatively. We are always #1 in the state for murder rate for example.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,683 times
For God's sake why do people recommend riverside? If you like alternative lifestyles and artsy fartsy, move there. Otherwise, avoid at all cost. Crime riddled as well

Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobills7 View Post
For God's sake why do people recommend riverside? If you like alternative lifestyles and artsy fartsy, move there. Otherwise, avoid at all cost. Crime riddled as well
Great another one hit wonders opinion!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobills7 View Post
Clearly you know something the rest of us don't

Great Places in America: Neighborhoods

Residents already know how great Jacksonville's Riverside-Avondale area is | jacksonville.com

Perfectly preserved - FT.com

Homes with 'walkability' command higher premium | jacksonville.com

Best neighborhoods to retire - Jacksonville, FL (19) - Money Magazine

www.riverside-avondale.com

BTW, here are sites for the other areas mentioned:
www.mysanmarco.com
www.myspringfield.org
Official Website of the City of Jacksonville Beach, FL | City of Jacksonville Beach

Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Clearly you know something the rest of us don't
Clearly he knows nothing.

This is probably the same miscreant that pops in here every couple of weeks with a different screen name and spews vitriolic hatred for anything involving Jacksonville.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 AM

838 posts, read 1,876,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Clearly he knows nothing.

This is probably the same miscreant that pops in here every couple of weeks with a different screen name and spews vitriolic hatred for anything involving Jacksonville.
crazynip strikes again!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM

178 posts, read 328,698 times
We put our Clay County house on the market in late March to live in Riverside (specifically Five Points), and by May 1 had sold the house, downsized, and moved into a rented a condo with no storage space in Five Points. After the trauma of downsizing so quickly and having some seller's remorse (missing gardens and wildlife) we could not be happier!! We love all the activity, the walkability to almost everything we need, my husband has a 12 minute commute as opposed to one hour each way...... We love, love, love the Riverside Avondale area and anyone who has only negative things to say doesn't really know what's going on here - or is so prejudiced that he'll vote for Romney. (sorry if I offend). Crime is everywhere so that cannot be avoided but one can be safe by being smart (most of the time). Five Points and Riverside is the place to be, City living is the place for me.... (sing to the tune of Green Acres if you're old enough to remember). I recommend this area to any newcomer looking for nightlife, walkability, diversity, etc. Jobs are another factor.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:06 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxLiving View Post
.... or is so prejudiced that he'll vote for Romney. (sorry if I offend)....

Talk about prejudiced

Riverside/Avondale is my favorite neighborhood in all of North Florida. Crime is not everywhere like the OP seemed to imply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville